Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 8,407Posts
    • 28,298Thanks
    fairy lights
    What's irritating you VI
    • 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    What's irritating you VI 23rd Jun 17 at 7:20 AM
    Haven't even got out of bed yet and I'm irritated.
    -The badly behaved cat peed in the laundry basket so all my summer clothes have had to go back in the wash and I'll have to wear jeans today.
    -I've pulled a muscle in my leg and have to drag it behind me, quasimodo style
    -OH ate all the bread so I can't have toast for breakfast
Page 177
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 11th Jan 18, 11:56 PM
    • 10,340 Posts
    • 26,412 Thanks
    suki1964
    The price of butter
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id

Lidls is your friend when it comes to butter . Not cheap but a hell of a lot cheaper then Tescos
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th Jan 18, 12:01 AM
    • 10,340 Posts
    • 26,412 Thanks
    suki1964
    We dont bother with proper butter, its too hard to spread. Lurpak is ridiculously expensive. On top of that i think its pretty flavourless. I dont know why its so popular. I like flora buttery, its only £1 in asda at the moment.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    Flora Buttery

Ingredients

Vegetable Oils in varying proportions (Sunflower, Palm, Linseed, Rapeseed) (79%), Water, Buttermilk (12%), Salt (1.3%), Emulsifiers (Sunflower Lecithin, Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Natural Flavouring (contains Milk), Acid (Citric Acid), Vitamin A & D, Colours (Carotenes)

Lurpak or any other butter ingredients

Milk, salt

I know what I prefer to put in my body
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 12th Jan 18, 12:06 AM
    • 27,018 Posts
    • 14,802 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Flora Buttery

Ingredients

Vegetable Oils in varying proportions (Sunflower, Palm, Linseed, Rapeseed) (79%), Water, Buttermilk (12%), Salt (1.3%), Emulsifiers (Sunflower Lecithin, Mono- and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids), Preservative (Potassium Sorbate), Natural Flavouring (contains Milk), Acid (Citric Acid), Vitamin A & D, Colours (Carotenes)

Lurpak or any other butter ingredients

Milk, salt

I know what I prefer to put in my body
    Originally posted by suki1964
    The problem is as i said, lurpak costs about £4 and is flavourless.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th Jan 18, 12:09 AM
    • 10,340 Posts
    • 26,412 Thanks
    suki1964
    The problem is as i said, lurpak costs about £4 and is flavourless.

There's more then one brand of butter out there, and I wouldn't be buying lurpak when home produced butter is far tastier
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 12th Jan 18, 12:23 AM
    • 27,018 Posts
    • 14,802 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    There's more then one brand of butter out there, and I wouldn't be buying lurpak when home produced butter is far tastier
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Any suggestions of a spreadable thats better than flora buttery are welcome.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th Jan 18, 1:08 AM
    • 10,340 Posts
    • 26,412 Thanks
    suki1964
    Any suggestions of a spreadable thats better than flora buttery are welcome.
    Spreadables are not butter

Butter is sold in block and has two ingredients, milk and salt. Spreadables have oils and emulsifiers and all sorts added
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 12th Jan 18, 6:08 AM
    • 7,044 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    Sleazy
    After reading through last night's discussion on butter ....

For what it's worth, I enjoy real butter - beats spreadables in both health and taste in my opinion.
    Last edited by Sleazy; 12-01-2018 at 6:10 AM.
    Sleazy
    Last Of The Lounge Lizards
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Jan 18, 6:38 AM
    • 32,336 Posts
    • 119,101 Thanks
    Pyxis
    I switched back to butter a while back.

I got fed up with putting all this highly refined stuff into me.

The spreadable problem can be overcome by not keeping it in the fridge.. I just keep the butter dish on the worktop.

Ok, sometimes it is still a bit hard to spread so it might need a bit of forward planning!

I prefer unsalted butter, myself.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 12th Jan 18, 7:59 AM
    • 7,486 Posts
    • 13,779 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I don't do any butter or spreads at all. Do I miss it? No.
    • Kered
    • By Kered 12th Jan 18, 8:43 AM
    • 2,882 Posts
    • 15,887 Thanks
    Kered
    the change to 60 seconds between posts
    • Kered
    • By Kered 12th Jan 18, 8:45 AM
    • 2,882 Posts
    • 15,887 Thanks
    Kered
    I switched back to butter a while back.

I got fed up with putting all this highly refined stuff into me.

The spreadable problem can be overcome by not keeping it in the fridge.. I just keep the butter dish on the worktop.

Ok, sometimes it is still a bit hard to spread so it might need a bit of forward planning!

I prefer unsalted butter, myself.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    I went back to unsalted butter a while ago after realising the same thing.
    If butter was good enough for my mum and gran then it is good enough for me
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 12th Jan 18, 12:17 PM
    • 4,085 Posts
    • 8,488 Thanks
    uberalles
    Busy day at work so I'm watching a program called Sun, Sea and Houses in order to see where I may wish to live in a few years.

Not only are the main persons brummies with that annoying accent, but one of them is a lump yet talks and acts really rather effeminately. I turned it off.

I really must become more tolerant again.
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 12th Jan 18, 12:21 PM
    • 4,085 Posts
    • 8,488 Thanks
    uberalles
    Busy day at work so I'm watching a program called Sun, Sea and Houses in order to see where I may wish to live in a few years.

Not only are the main persons brummies with that annoying accent, but one of them is a lump yet talks and acts really rather effeminately. I turned it off.

I really must become more tolerant again.
    Originally posted by uberalles
    Update.

I turned it back on. The next lot are scousers. Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgggggghhhhh!!!!!!
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 12th Jan 18, 12:23 PM
    • 3,811 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Not sure if irritated as much as it all happens as once, getting over my cold and got a letter stating hospital appointment Sunday in the city (and can't drive even if I had a car and license) then 8 days later esa assessment
    • colinw
    • By colinw 12th Jan 18, 2:12 PM
    • 51,600 Posts
    • 140,674 Thanks
    colinw
    I went back to unsalted butter a while ago after realising the same thing.
    If butter was good enough for my mum and gran then it is good enough for me
    Originally posted by Kered
    I use Lurpak now I got sick of all the margarine and "you will not believe it is......"
    • colinw
    • By colinw 12th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    • 51,600 Posts
    • 140,674 Thanks
    colinw
    Well I would say Trump and his comment about countries, mostly Countries which have coloured people in them being "shithole Countries". The guy is now not even trying to hide the fact the he is a racist and only likes white people, amazing it is the President of the USA saying these things. It has been interesting to watch news organisations like CNN and the BBC drop there usual rules on saying such things on the air. I see Trump has actually denied saying now even though it was witnessed by many at the meeting and the White House did not deny it at the time, apparently he would be happy with those nice white immigrants from Countries like Norway. Why would someone from a Country like Norway which has free health care want to move to the US
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 12th Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    • 32,336 Posts
    • 119,101 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Well I would say Trump and his comment about countries, mostly Countries which have coloured people in them being "shithole Countries". The guy is now not even trying to hide the fact the he is a racist and only likes white people, amazing it is the President of the USA saying these things. It has been interesting to watch news organisations like CNN and the BBC drop there usual rules on saying such things on the air. I see Trump has actually denied saying now even though it was witnessed by many at the meeting and the White House did not deny it at the time, apparently he would be happy with those nice white immigrants from Countries like Norway. Why would someone from a Country like Norway which has free health care want to move to the US
    Originally posted by colinw
    What I don't understand is that if that remark was made at a meeting, who told the press?

Anyway, I'm glad he's not coming next month.

Having watched the Miriam Margolyes programme the other night, I'm now understanding more how he got elected.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • colinw
    • By colinw 12th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    • 51,600 Posts
    • 140,674 Thanks
    colinw
    What I don't understand is that if that remark was made at a meeting, who told the press?

Anyway, I'm glad he's not coming next month.

Having watched the Miriam Margolyes programme the other night, I'm now understanding more how he got elected.
    Originally posted by Pyxis
    Lots of people told news organisations what was said, he blamed Obama for the Embassy move as well even though it was signed off by George Bush in 2008. The man is an utter orange buffoon.
    • Tarry
    • By Tarry 12th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    • 10,571 Posts
    • 23,643 Thanks
    Tarry
    Lurpack is 2.50 at Home Bargains.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread

-I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
    • colinw
    • By colinw 12th Jan 18, 3:09 PM
    • 51,600 Posts
    • 140,674 Thanks
    colinw
    Lurpack is 2.50 at Home Bargains.
    Originally posted by Tarry
    What Grammage Tarry I buy the big one at Asda when they are on offer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

561Posts Today

5,067Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Always fun to speak to @ChrisEvans on radio - at the speed we both go - we could do an hours's show in 15minutes.

• RT @benpostma: After watching @MartinSLewis I took my faulty trainers back to where I bought them from, with no receipt just a screen shot?

• RT @Louloubell1980: @MartinSLewis My little 3yr old and his Auntie on Christmas Eve....4 days after she donated her Kidney to him x https:/?

• Follow Martin