Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 8,407Posts
    • 28,297Thanks
    fairy lights
    What's irritating you VI
    • 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    What's irritating you VI 23rd Jun 17 at 7:20 AM
    Haven't even got out of bed yet and I'm irritated.
    -The badly behaved cat peed in the laundry basket so all my summer clothes have had to go back in the wash and I'll have to wear jeans today.
    -I've pulled a muscle in my leg and have to drag it behind me, quasimodo style
    -OH ate all the bread so I can't have toast for breakfast
Page 174
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 8th Jan 18, 4:28 PM
    • 2,795 Posts
    • 10,893 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    The fact that hot flushes don't extend to the hands

It was a toasty 3 oC in work today, sweat was lashing of me so soon down to a tshirt, but my hands were blocks of ice all day, sure I'm going to get chilblains
    Originally posted by suki1964
    I spend most of my days out walking the dog and recently I have had a great deal of difficulty keeping my hands warm
    Today I had two pairs of gloves on and my fingers were still cold
    and yet as a young man my hands were always toasty
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 75.4
    Total so far - 218
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 8th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 5,059 Thanks
    Penitent
    While I appreciate that everyone's entitled to their opinion, I don't think the "why didn't you say something at the time?" argument is fair.

Someone assaulted me a few years ago. I didn't report it because a) I didn't think the police would care unless he raped me, b) there was no proof so nothing would happen, and c) I felt that it was my fault for talking to him.

It's fair enough saying now that they should have reported it, but they may have felt that no-one would care, no-one would believe them and that these powerful people would have ruined their lives and careers over it. That's a lot to lose when you have no expectation of the person suffering any consequences.
    • Stuffed Turkey
    • By Stuffed Turkey 8th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    Stuffed Turkey
    Jeremy Hunt not only stays in charge of health, he is now Also in charge of Social Care
    • helcat26
    • By helcat26 8th Jan 18, 5:25 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 2,778 Thanks
    helcat26
    While I appreciate that everyone's entitled to their opinion, I don't think the "why didn't you say something at the time?" argument is fair.

Someone assaulted me a few years ago. I didn't report it because a) I didn't think the police would care unless he raped me, b) there was no proof so nothing would happen, and c) I felt that it was my fault for talking to him.

It's fair enough saying now that they should have reported it, but they may have felt that no-one would care, no-one would believe them and that these powerful people would have ruined their lives and careers over it. That's a lot to lose when you have no expectation of the person suffering any consequences.
    Originally posted by Penitent

I was harassed at work and I did report it and did not get believed, and ended up leaving over it.
    Major company, not trivial stuff- actual physical contact.

But I could not live with myself NOT doing something about it.
    How many years has this been going on with the "casting couch" thing in Hollywood.

How many less years if people had spoken up.

You did what you thought you could do Penitent with your experience.
    My conscience would not let me do otherwise than report it.

And sorry but if you do not do something at the time (unless you are a minor) you kind of lose the moral right to complain about it later because you have potentially let a predator continue to operate. Sorry if that is harsh but that is how I feel.
    Last edited by helcat26; 08-01-2018 at 5:27 PM.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 8th Jan 18, 5:41 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 5,059 Thanks
    Penitent
    I'm glad you had the strength to do that. I don't. I'm weak and pathetic and it's my fault if he went on to hurt someone else, but I can't change that and neither can these people who are coming forward now in an attempt to finally put a stop to it.
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 8th Jan 18, 6:14 PM
    • 4,085 Posts
    • 8,486 Thanks
    uberalles
    Jeremy Hunt not only stays in charge of health, he is now Also in charge of Social Care
    Originally posted by Stuffed Turkey

That's great news.

Health and Social Care should have far greater connectivity. Makes good sense that the same person manages both.

However badly you all think he does it.
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 8th Jan 18, 6:17 PM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 4,305 Thanks
    Izadora
    I'm glad you had the strength to do that. I don't. I'm weak and pathetic and it's my fault if he went on to hurt someone else, but I can't change that and neither can these people who are coming forward now in an attempt to finally put a stop to it.
    Originally posted by Penitent
    You're not weak, pathetic or in any way at fault if he went on to hurt someone else and making people feel like that is why I think the attitude of "Well, if you didn't speak out it couldn't have been so bad and you're now complicit." is disgusting.

There's more than enough victim-shaming, in itself a large reason for women not coming forward, as it is.
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 8th Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    • 13,462 Posts
    • 50,965 Thanks
    joansgirl
    I was harassed at work and I did report it and did not get believed, and ended up leaving over it.
    Major company, not trivial stuff- actual physical contact.

But I could not live with myself NOT doing something about it.
    How many years has this been going on with the "casting couch" thing in Hollywood.

How many less years if people had spoken up.

You did what you thought you could do Penitent with your experience.
    My conscience would not let me do otherwise than report it.

And sorry but if you do not do something at the time (unless you are a minor) you kind of lose the moral right to complain about it later because you have potentially let a predator continue to operate. Sorry if that is harsh but that is how I feel.
    Originally posted by helcat26
    I agree with this. It's a delicate area and one that I usually avoid giving my opinion on but....these women made a choice at the time between their integrity and their careers. OK, it was different times and maybe they were young and maybe it was a "closed shop" attitude in La La Land then but they still made a choice, and as helcat said, allowed a predator to continue unchecked.

It's no good complaining about it now. I feel they are just jumping on the bandwagon, possibly for the publicity. And possibly for the sympathy, I don't know. But I feel all this "Me Too" detracts from the seriousness of the subject.
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...

Finito
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 8th Jan 18, 6:21 PM
    • 3,808 Posts
    • 3,233 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Don't know to be upset or angry but went to sell my Playstation that I owned for 2 years but only played max 25 hours on it (and about another 20 in rest mode downloading) even though it was in mint condition it needed wiped down so I used a careful microfibre cloth and gentle cleaning agent and wiped it down, and rubbing alcohol on controller, it looked brand new as you can get, and whilst still wearing rubber gloves put it in box where I still had the original dust covers, the only thing not perfect was a small tear in the inside box where the controller sits.

Took it in, and they have offered me B grade UNBOXED price!

£10 difference, not sure to tell them to stuff it or sell it to them.

More angry that they had cheek to put it through as B grade despite its condition, its a white console so the tiniest spec of dust shows which is why I cleaned it first.

Oh and the controller cable hdmi cable and power cable were sealed as I used the ones from other electronics so how on earth was it B grade.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 8th Jan 18, 6:23 PM
    • 11,838 Posts
    • 15,650 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    The bombardment over the weekend over pretty much every board on MSE - and there's even some popped up today.
    I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

Married to an immigrant.

Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    • helcat26
    • By helcat26 8th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    • 1,057 Posts
    • 2,778 Thanks
    helcat26
    Pentitent

Absolutely NOT weak and pathetic.
    You need to be in a mental place of strength to put up with the S**T that follows the complaint.

Izadora- Absolutely not victim shaming.

But it is being used as a rather vile badge of honour in Hollywood
    Surely one of hundred or so could have made a stand at the time?
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 9th Jan 18, 8:12 AM
    • 32,311 Posts
    • 119,037 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Why why why does my wifi printer keep going awol?

(As in "no air printers found" notice when I try to print from my iPad).

Sometimes it's ok again if I unplug it, re-plug it, but sometimes that only works for one or two printings.
    Sometimes it works again if I re-enter the router password into the printer, sometimes not.

A couple of times it only worked when I rebooted the router itself.

It can be fine for weeks, then start playing up loads of times over several days, then be fine again for a while, then start playing up.

Why? Why? Why?
    It drives me nuts, especially as the printer is downstairs, and I usually use the iPad upstairs, and I print a lot of stuff.
    Pain pain pain.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 9th Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 13,462 Posts
    • 50,965 Thanks
    joansgirl
    I am trying to fix me curtain pole. It's not exactly broken, but it is being an annoying get.

Soooooooo, to cut a long and complicated story short, I have 2 non curtain pole fittings that I want to adapt to fit. Each one is held on with a very short bolt (almost like a grub screw but fatter). These bolts aren't long enough. So, I brought one fitting downstairs, rummaged through me bolts and found 2 that will fit. Back upstairs, put the first fitting on, all is good. Goes to put the second fitting on and the hole for the bolt is smaller than the other one

I mean....both fittings are brand new and out of the same pack. Why are the bolts different sizes???

Fortunately after another frantic rummage I found one to fit but....really???
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...

Finito
    • fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 9th Jan 18, 12:52 PM
    • 2,600 Posts
    • 5,876 Thanks
    fussypensioner
    Came rushing home from aquafit to get the washing in as it was starting to rain, grabbed sheets off line holding them in one hand and pegs in the other, dropped sheets into the basket and opened the tumble dryer door and threw in all the pegs - Doh.

Left 2 toilet rolls at the top of the stairs this morning to take down for the downstairs toilet, realised when I got down that I had forgotten to bring them, went back up to find they had disappeared. Where have they gone I said, husband said what? I repeated the toilet rolls have disappeared, he replied I put them back in the cupboard. We are just not on the same page anymore.

It can only get worse.
    Holding back the years...
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 9th Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    • 3,808 Posts
    • 3,233 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Not a bad day overall but a few small niggles, when I got off bus I started walking and this older man walked into my path gave me a dirty look and sounded like he was swearing at me, then walked back past the same bus stop 15 minutes later to have a woman rush off a bus and stop at the wall inches from me (at least it felt she didn't realise instead of her being rude) then had a few issues getting past people who were in their own little world.

Rest of the day was ok, my connecting bus was waiting at next stance and left a minute after I got there, when arriving at bus station and stance I got there 3 minutes before one left so no wait, no traffic either way out of the city.

And made me feel good I took my games console into a different branch of the second hand store and the person outright told me he was amazed how good a condition it was in and gave me full price for item.
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 9th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 4,275 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    Tree cutting

A man from the power company comes to the door today and tells me that, as a pre-emptive action, they're taking down trees in the area that may cause overhead power line problems in a future storm.

He's going to mark any of mine he deems unsafe with a ribbon. I then have to check and give signed consent tomorrow. Not that I have much choice.

I tell him to go light on his decisions as I love all the trees.
    He sighs and his face and body language tell me that he's heard this from a hundred tree huggers just this week alone.

He says nothing. I say nothing. We both just stand in silence but we have the conversation in our heads. We both know how it goes and how pointless it is.

• colinw
    • By colinw 10th Jan 18, 9:21 AM
    • 51,600 Posts
    • 140,674 Thanks
    colinw
    There are things I have completely stopped understamding

Like this story about Kodak who I know used to make stuff for photographs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42630136

I really have not a clue what that is about....

"Shares in photo firm Eastman Kodak soared nearly 120% after it revealed plans to mint its own crypto-currency, the KodakCoin.

The US firm said it was teaming up with London-based Wenn Media Group to carry out the initial coin offering (ICO).

It is part of a blockchain-based initiative to help photographers control their image rights.

Kodak also detailed plans to install rows of Bitcoin mining rigs at its headquarters in Rochester, New York."

What the heck does all that mean? they are building Bitcoin rigs? you can dig then from the ground? have I entered some parallel Universe?
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 10th Jan 18, 9:41 AM
    • 7,485 Posts
    • 13,778 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Cut myself at work yesterday on a knuckle. Why do I cut myself on parts where plasters fall off?
    • Stuffed Turkey
    • By Stuffed Turkey 10th Jan 18, 10:06 AM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 1,293 Thanks
    Stuffed Turkey
    Yesterdays Windows Update Knackered My Computer

After trying loads of things, and system restore not working, and finally the operating system not loading at all

I ended up doing a Fresh Install

It's taken hours and hours to reinstate everything of mine.

And the actual Windows Updates (minus the yesterdays Bad one) took More than overnight to install!! (Hundreds of the beggars!!)
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 10th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 1,494 Posts
    • 4,305 Thanks
    Izadora
    Commuting. I'm sick of the drudgery and never-endingness of it and of the idiots I encounter both on the train and the walk from the station.
    I'm kind of stuck with it though because getting a job near to home would be too big a drop in salary, even taking into account the fact that I'd no longer be paying a small fortune each month for my season ticket.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,509Posts Today

7,917Users online

Martin's Twitter