Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 8,410Posts
    • 28,290Thanks
    fairy lights
    What's irritating you VI
    • 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    What's irritating you VI 23rd Jun 17 at 7:20 AM
    Haven't even got out of bed yet and I'm irritated.
    -The badly behaved cat peed in the laundry basket so all my summer clothes have had to go back in the wash and I'll have to wear jeans today.
    -I've pulled a muscle in my leg and have to drag it behind me, quasimodo style
    -OH ate all the bread so I can't have toast for breakfast
Page 171
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 5th Jan 18, 1:44 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 5,058 Thanks
    Penitent
    If you said it half-jokingly, doesn't that imply that it was also half-not-jokingly? What did you actually say?
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 5th Jan 18, 1:53 PM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 10,820 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    ear wax
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 77.6
    Total so far - 142.6
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 5th Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    • 3,799 Posts
    • 3,223 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Basically like "I know, chill in not stupid lol" and in same response chat to another person so I didn't go out of my way to just write a response of that.

I can see why they may of thought that wasn't as polite as it could be but it shouldn't be interpreted as a insult unless its in specific cirumstances.

I was annoyed at them sure but was careful to not blow it out of proportion and to diffuse the situation the 2nd response was me stating I was insulted after they talked about "intelligent members do this" which in full context was them talking about rules of the site but I said i'd leave it at that to not push up a thread.

Thats when they deleted my responses and messaged me stating about mods cannot have their opinion disagreed with, and I was lucky to not get banned for insulting them. I reply back and state I found their actions overreacting and would contact higher up to get a blazing response back saying how I was in the wrong and how I broke the rules arguing with them again how lucky I was etc.

Even if I was arguing they should of not gone onto a personal rant on private messaging.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 5th Jan 18, 2:13 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 5,058 Thanks
    Penitent
    Okay, just for future reference, being told to chill winds a lot of folk up, as it implies that they're being dramatic/hysterical, which is rather insulting as it's used to minimise what they're saying by passing it off as an overreaction. It's like "calm down, dear".

It's probably best avoided unless you're friends with the person and I definitely wouldn't use it when a mod was reminding me about the rules of the group/website/whatever.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 5th Jan 18, 3:49 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 5,058 Thanks
    Penitent
    My new year-induced motivation already fizzled out...on Tuesday.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 5th Jan 18, 4:18 PM
    • 10,324 Posts
    • 26,243 Thanks
    suki1964
    Originally posted by Penitent

That's no doubt because of the high stress levels you were under

Take a break from beating yourself up over what you haven't achieved and concentrate on your achievements, no matter how small they are

I'm posting on another thread in oldstyle what I hope to achieve this year, I'm not going at it full pelt, just baby steps, but as long as I get one thing done towards the goal it's an achievement. Next week I've promised myself I'm going to declutter just one corner of my bedroom, already it's keeping me awake with worry, but if I get just one shelf done, it will be a start and further motivation, fingers crossed
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 5th Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 5,058 Thanks
    Penitent
    That's no doubt because of the high stress levels you were under

Take a break from beating yourself up over what you haven't achieved and concentrate on your achievements, no matter how small they are

I'm posting on another thread in oldstyle what I hope to achieve this year, I'm not going at it full pelt, just baby steps, but as long as I get one thing done towards the goal it's an achievement. Next week I've promised myself I'm going to declutter just one corner of my bedroom, already it's keeping me awake with worry, but if I get just one shelf done, it will be a start and further motivation, fingers crossed
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Thank you, that's really helpful. You are a wise woman.

Last year, my policy was "a thing a day". If I did one task a day, I didn't feel like such a waste of space. If I did more...bonus. Then we had the house guests, which leaves me feeling like this isn't my space and leaves my schedule in ruins, so I started trying to do all the things at once to reclaim my space. End result was by the time the new year hit I'd already had enough.

Back to "a thing a day" I think.
    • Stuffed Turkey
    • By Stuffed Turkey 5th Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 1,291 Thanks
    Stuffed Turkey
    Nothing that major, just life, the universe, and the whole damn thing
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 5th Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 6,998 Posts
    • 8,176 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Originally posted by Stuffed Turkey
    Sums me up today ... can't get myself motivated!
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 5th Jan 18, 6:04 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 4,268 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    Originally posted by Penitent
    And don't rely on willpower and motivation because both will let you down sooner or later.

Instead, focus on creating a habit. Something that becomes so automatic you barely think about doing it. This removes that unreliable willpower/motivation step altogether.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 5th Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    • 27,009 Posts
    • 14,792 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Originally posted by Stuffed Turkey
    Be thankful you made it past xmas day.
    • Penitent
    • By Penitent 5th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 5,058 Thanks
    Penitent
    And don't rely on willpower and motivation because both will let you down sooner or later.

Instead, focus on creating a habit. Something that becomes so automatic you barely think about doing it. This removes that unreliable willpower/motivation step altogether.
    Originally posted by Quizzical Squirrel
    The problem is, because of my mental health issues, I struggle to do the stuff normal people do habitually (eating at regular times, showering regularly, exercising routinely, etc.). The habitual stuff needs the same motivation as the to do list stuff, if that makes sense.

It's a good day when I manage to get up at a proper time and eat three meals instead of snacking. The more stuff I try to add to the routine, the more chance there is of it collapsing. It's sort of like Buckaroo, but with showers and toothbrushes.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 5th Jan 18, 8:20 PM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 10,820 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    irritated that I can't find out what the police were doing (in numbers) in the park close to the town centre at lunchtime today in the rain.

This week - 77.6
    Total so far - 142.6
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 5th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    • 6,998 Posts
    • 8,176 Thanks
    Sleazy
    irritated that I can't find out what the police were doing (in numbers) in the park close to the town centre at lunchtime today in the rain.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    They didn't find me .... anyway, I'm innocent!
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 5th Jan 18, 8:31 PM
    • 11,823 Posts
    • 15,620 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Maybe someone dropped a food wrapper and they thought it was a package of drugs?

Or someone farted / sneezed in the general direction of a councillor?
    I live in the UK City of Culture 2021

Married to an immigrant.

Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    • colinw
    • By colinw 5th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 51,592 Posts
    • 140,600 Thanks
    colinw
    Playing kick the can I recon
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 5th Jan 18, 8:39 PM
    • 2,780 Posts
    • 10,820 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    It was like they were searching for something or someone, a couple of them were over by the river and more were checking in the woods with more at the top of the hill just standing.

This week - 77.6
    Total so far - 142.6
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 5th Jan 18, 9:12 PM
    • 32,270 Posts
    • 118,833 Thanks
    Pyxis
    It was like they were searching for something or someone, a couple of them were over by the river and more were checking in the woods with more at the top of the hill just standing.
    Perhaps a haggis had escaped from the zoo?
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 6th Jan 18, 10:44 AM
    • 3,799 Posts
    • 3,223 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Headache inducing noise from upstairs again, a friend visited last night and without prompting almost as soon as he got through the door he jumped when he heard crashing upstairs and even his own words were "are you sure they are not getting burgled?"

Im hoping its just due to holidays, if it is then it means the kid is excited when not at school just as it would prove the parents seem to let the kid do what he wants whenever he wants.
    • Stuffed Turkey
    • By Stuffed Turkey 6th Jan 18, 11:02 AM
    • 1,243 Posts
    • 1,291 Thanks
    Stuffed Turkey
    I cut my hand picking up recycling rubbish belonging to neighbours that has yet again blown all over the street!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

329Posts Today

4,119Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin