Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 8,334Posts
    • 27,974Thanks
    fairy lights
    What's irritating you VI
    • 23rd Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    What's irritating you VI 23rd Jun 17 at 7:20 AM
    Haven't even got out of bed yet and I'm irritated.
    -The badly behaved cat peed in the laundry basket so all my summer clothes have had to go back in the wash and I'll have to wear jeans today.
    -I've pulled a muscle in my leg and have to drag it behind me, quasimodo style
    -OH ate all the bread so I can't have toast for breakfast
Page 142
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 30th Nov 17, 1:09 AM
    • 26,838 Posts
    • 14,545 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Footy clubs ticketing site going wrong before getting to confirmation page. however when looking at account history the transaction is there as done. So hopefully it is ok but cant help worrying.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 30th Nov 17, 1:12 AM
    • 26,838 Posts
    • 14,545 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    Videogames not having instruction booklets anymore. In particular assassins creed origins. They have changed the game a bit compared to previous games. Most of the time i dont have a clue what i am doing.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 30th Nov 17, 8:22 AM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 9,559 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Trump - why does this country even talk to that idiot?
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 3000 miles in 2017 - 3189.5
    This week 56.1
    • Judi
    • By Judi 30th Nov 17, 10:22 AM
    • 15,454 Posts
    • 63,770 Thanks
    Judi
    I cant find my white phone cable.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • colinw
    • By colinw 30th Nov 17, 10:57 AM
    • 50,849 Posts
    • 138,941 Thanks
    colinw
    I cant find my white phone cable.
    Originally posted by Judi
    It is down the side of the sofa!
    • Sad. Sack
    • By Sad. Sack 30th Nov 17, 1:16 PM
    • 200 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    Sad. Sack
    Backache .
    I like roast potatoes, i do.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 30th Nov 17, 1:24 PM
    • 15,454 Posts
    • 63,770 Thanks
    Judi
    It is down the side of the sofa!
    Originally posted by colinw
    No thats the long black one.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 30th Nov 17, 1:49 PM
    • 8,334 Posts
    • 27,974 Thanks
    fairy lights
    Trying to get a window cleaner to come and do my windows. How hard can it be, you might ask?
    Well, they won't agree to come and wash your windows without first giving you a quote, and to give you a quote they need to come and look at your windows and confirm that they are, in fact, windows.
    To do this you need to arrange a time for them to drop by when you'll be home, so you can let them through the house to see the windows at the back. This is a very complicated thing to arrange, on account of you having to go out to work and being unable to wait in your house for days on end because "Dave usually does your area on a Wednesday or thereabouts, so could perhaps drop by sometime between noon and the rapture".
    Then finally you manage to get a quote, after someone who may or may not be a window cleaner, might be an opportunistic burglar turns up unexpectedly when you've just got out of the shower. He looks at the windows, says "yeah it'll be £12" which makes this whole quoting exercise seem utterly futile. Quote me £15! Quote me £20! At those prices who's going to quibble over paying a few more pounds?
    You then need to arrange a time for Dave or 'one of the lads' to come back to actually do the deed, which is rife with difficulty, on account of a world wide squeegee shortage and Mick's driving ban.
    Eventually you agree, they will be round first thing tomorrow...but what time is first thing??
    • joansgirl
    • By joansgirl 30th Nov 17, 1:58 PM
    • 12,980 Posts
    • 49,365 Thanks
    joansgirl
    Trying to get a window cleaner to come and do my windows. How hard can it be, you might ask?
    Well, they won't agree to come and wash your windows without first giving you a quote, and to give you a quote they need to come and look at your windows and confirm that they are, in fact, windows.
    To do this you need to arrange a time for them to drop by when you'll be home, so you can let them through the house to see the windows at the back. This is a very complicated thing to arrange, on account of you having to go out to work and being unable to wait in your house for days on end because "Dave usually does your area on a Wednesday or thereabouts, so could perhaps drop by sometime between noon and the rapture".
    Then finally you manage to get a quote, after someone who may or may not be a window cleaner, might be an opportunistic burglar turns up unexpectedly when you've just got out of the shower. He looks at the windows, says "yeah it'll be £12" which makes this whole quoting exercise seem utterly futile. Quote me £15! Quote me £20! At those prices who's going to quibble over paying a few more pounds?
    You then need to arrange a time for Dave or 'one of the lads' to come back to actually do the deed, which is rife with difficulty, on account of a world wide squeegee shortage and Mick's driving ban.
    Eventually you agree, they will be round first thing tomorrow...but what time is first thing??
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    And the solution to this is....do them yourself, like I do

Seriously, many years ago I had problems with window cleaners and got so sick of it I started doing them myself and have continued to do them every 6 weeks since.
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...

Finito
    • helcat26
    • By helcat26 30th Nov 17, 5:18 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 2,731 Thanks
    helcat26
    This is the bathroom. Under the bath, the sink and behind the loo was all boxed in and tiled over. Problem is you couldn't get the boxing in off without smashing the tiles off. So now I have the time to sort it I've taken it all off and changed it to tongue and groove panels so they are easy to take out if required. But I wanted to paint them the same colour as the door and windowsill which is "Willow", a green paint. But as usual B&Q have stopped stocking it.

However, they did have emulsion in the same colour so inspiration has struck, I am going to try doing the panels in a colour wash so the grain of the wood shows but they will still have a bit of colour to them.

Watch this space
    Originally posted by joansgirl
    Try eggshell? Similarly water resistant but more colours available.
    Or better still paint a willow mural behind the loo in the style of William Morris, in case Papa Donnajunkie comes around and needs something to amuse him while chucking up?
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 30th Nov 17, 6:26 PM
    • 11,557 Posts
    • 15,152 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    My irritation: my Windows 7 system runs Avast! Free Anti Virus and the program updated to the latest version last weekend.

Now it pops up a "PC Health" ad thing, which I can deal with for free with CCleaner and Defraggler (both by Piriform).

Avast: do me a favour, just make an antivirus program and stop bolting all this other !!!!! onto it!
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    Even my PC is nicknamed "GIBBS".
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 30th Nov 17, 6:46 PM
    • 3,673 Posts
    • 3,007 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Silly one but advert on tv with a "nerd" who looks more like a male model with stereotypical hair and clothes or in other words a hipster pretending to be a nerd.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 30th Nov 17, 8:02 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 1,272 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    My irritation: my Windows 7 system runs Avast! Free Anti Virus and the program updated to the latest version last weekend.

Now it pops up a "PC Health" ad thing, which I can deal with for free with CCleaner and Defraggler (both by Piriform).

Avast: do me a favour, just make an antivirus program and stop bolting all this other !!!!! onto it!
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    AVG are as bad, after using them for as long as I can remember I'm very tempted to uninstall and find an alternate antivirus program.
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 30th Nov 17, 9:29 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    AVG are as bad, after using them for as long as I can remember I'm very tempted to uninstall and find an alternate antivirus program.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    I ditched both Avast and AVG some time ago and now use Panda. It too constantly pops up ads for the never ending 20% off for an upgrade.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 30th Nov 17, 9:43 PM
    • 2,411 Posts
    • 3,012 Thanks
    ceredigion
    The building control officer.
    So my client has paid the council £800 for the privilege of a completion certificate when we finish and presumably some peace of mind. To day I ring him to discus a technicality I have, with a workable solution. Reaction. " To busy to come out, get a structural engineer report ". Well what the f**k was the £800 for you robbing fu**ers, besides we need to get on with this today.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 30th Nov 17, 10:40 PM
    • 26,838 Posts
    • 14,545 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    I ditched both Avast and AVG some time ago and now use Panda. It too constantly pops up ads for the never ending 20% off for an upgrade.
    Originally posted by Sam Fallow
    If you subscribe you dont get ads. Dont subscribe, you get ads. They need to make money somehow i guess.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 30th Nov 17, 11:24 PM
    • 524 Posts
    • 1,272 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    If you subscribe you dont get ads. Dont subscribe, you get ads. They need to make money somehow i guess.
    Originally posted by donnajunkie
    I can accept that, the irritation is the increasing frequency and intrusiveness of them. I've had the free version of AVG for at least 15 years, it's only the past year or so they ads have started to annoy me.
    • colinw
    • By colinw 1st Dec 17, 3:17 PM
    • 50,849 Posts
    • 138,941 Thanks
    colinw
    I am thinking I might be irritated at Vision Express taking over the Tesco in store opticians as it means less choice. I used to be able to get quite a cheap eye exam from Tesco's and then was able to buy lenses at a decent price from them online, I am sure that will all change with Vision Express.
    • donnajunkie
    • By donnajunkie 1st Dec 17, 6:23 PM
    • 26,838 Posts
    • 14,545 Thanks
    donnajunkie
    I can accept that, the irritation is the increasing frequency and intrusiveness of them. I've had the free version of AVG for at least 15 years, it's only the past year or so they ads have started to annoy me.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    I only use a free one on my phone. Always had a paid for one on pc. Less than £20 for a year usually as you can buy the previous years version and use the code on the latest version. I get kaspersky usually. I made the mistake of going back to norton last year and it was terrible.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 1st Dec 17, 7:23 PM
    • 3,687 Posts
    • 6,422 Thanks
    avogadro
    Buying something on amazon from what I thought was a European country only to find that it's actually from China. I wouldn't have bothered if I'd known it was going to be shipped all that way. Still waiting for it to arrive.. last time I checked the item was in Singapore!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

2,461Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin