Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • Lollobrigida
    • By Lollobrigida 22nd Jun 17, 10:44 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Exchange EU licence with UK
    • #1
    • 22nd Jun 17, 10:44 PM
    Exchange EU licence with UK 22nd Jun 17 at 10:44 PM
    Is there any consequence if I exchange my EU licence with UK? In insurance or other issues? Is there a way to avoid the fee?
Page 2
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 14th Jul 17, 8:47 PM
    • 3,361 Posts
    • 2,553 Thanks
    You neEd to have a Government Gateway User ID to apply online.
    • Lollobrigida
    • By Lollobrigida 15th Jul 17, 9:48 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    You neEd to have a Government Gateway User ID to apply online.
    Originally posted by sheramber
    I already have that. But don't they need to check my ID?
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 16th Jul 17, 11:09 AM
    • 3,361 Posts
    • 2,553 Thanks
    Have nit had to do it so don't know.

    What does the form state is required?

    Contact DVLA and ask them.
    • khcomp
    • By khcomp 16th Jul 17, 1:07 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    I'll try to keep on topic and answer the question...
    Consequence? Many UK insurers will increase premiums or refuse to quote for EU licence holders living in the UK - try getting two identical quotes with an EU and a UK licence.
    You can't avoid the £43 fee, and you can't apply online: You need the D1 form (which you already have).
    I think you can only use the online service to apply for a new licence or a replacement if you're a UK passport holder, and don't hold a licence elsewhere that can be converted to a UK one.
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 17th Jul 17, 10:10 AM
    • 6,895 Posts
    • 11,332 Thanks
    Surely we all still have EU licenses? and presumably still will have for years.

    Until that changes and the UK license is no longer an EU one, no need to worry. Nothing will happen overnight.
    Last edited by andrewf75; 17-07-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

195Posts Today

1,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

  • WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See RT

  • RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

  • Follow Martin