Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 22nd Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 6,198Posts
    • 19,131Thanks
    Doc N
    0 WOW
    Pick Your Own fruit (strawberries, raspberries etc) prices reasonable?
    • 22nd Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    0 WOW
    Pick Your Own fruit (strawberries, raspberries etc) prices reasonable? 22nd Jun 17 at 3:13 PM
    With good quality fresh English strawberries selling at around £3.50 per kilo in Waitrose and £2.99 in Aldi and Lidl, is anyone still bothering with the Pick Your Own places?

Round here they're charging between £3.50 and £4.50 per kilo, and for that you've got to drive there and spend valuable time picking the things.

What's the going PYO rate in your neck of the woods, and does that represent good value?
Page 1
    • alanq
    • By alanq 22nd Jun 17, 3:31 PM
    • 3,654 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    alanq
    • 22nd Jun 17, 3:31 PM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 3:31 PM
    The farmers probably price in the fruits that are consumed before reaching the basket.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Budgeting and Bank Accounts, Savings & Investments, Food Shopping and Over 50s MoneySaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 22nd Jun 17, 6:27 PM
    • 22,915 Posts
    • 47,637 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 22nd Jun 17, 6:27 PM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 6:27 PM
    PYO is expensive, but it's also the experience that makes the fruit worth its price. I don't see it as labour, I love it!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 23rd Jun 17, 4:29 AM
    • 12,239 Posts
    • 39,283 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 23rd Jun 17, 4:29 AM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 4:29 AM
    My local PYO in Surrey is £6.50 a kilo for strawberries
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 23rd Jun 17, 6:33 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 19,131 Thanks
    Doc N
    • 23rd Jun 17, 6:33 AM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 6:33 AM
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    Hell's teeth! Why on earth would anyone pay that price?
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 23rd Jun 17, 6:44 AM
    • 12,239 Posts
    • 39,283 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 23rd Jun 17, 6:44 AM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 6:44 AM
    Hell's teeth! Why on earth would anyone pay that price?
    Originally posted by Doc N
    Exactly !!! I thankfully havent but I saw it on my local community board on Facebook

They also have people walking round and charge you £3 if they think you or your children have eaten anything while you are doing the pick your own. (I can see why they do that but its hard if one of your children eat something and you don't notice )
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 23rd Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 19,131 Thanks
    Doc N
    • 23rd Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    Incredible, Sarah! Sheer profiteering, and round this way they never advertise the price they're charging (even on the answering machine message you get when you phone and the websites) so it's difficult to know what the price is until you get there.

I did find out a couple of prices and added it to the Google reviews for those places to warn others of the rip-off pricing. I also added it to one of the Facebook pages (which drew a sharp response!).

It's a shame that prices aren't advertised, and it's difficult to see that as anything other than sharp practice.

When we lived in Kent, some years back, prices were about half the supermarket price, and that seemed reasonable, given the savings to the farmer in not having to have them picked. Those savings are still there, but to be charging more than the supermarkets charge (when those same supermarkets are probably paying the farmers about a third of that price, if that) is just plain greedy.

Still, if people are daft enough to go, farmers will get away with it, but I do think they should be prepared to put a price to all their adverts.
    • olgadapolga
    • By olgadapolga 23rd Jun 17, 8:12 AM
    • 773 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    olgadapolga
    • 23rd Jun 17, 8:12 AM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 8:12 AM
    Our local farm charges £2 per person to go into the fields but will knock this "deposit" off the cost of the fruit. They don't refund any, so if 5 people go in, they charge you £10 - if you then pick £8 worth of fruit, you don't get £2 back so you pay £10 for £8 of fruit.

I think that they are charging £5/kilo at the moment. They usually have a special offer on around Wimbledon where it's £10/12 to fill one of the big baskets.

They do taste a little better than those from the supermarket though.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 23rd Jun 17, 8:19 AM
    • 59,237 Posts
    • 345,939 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 23rd Jun 17, 8:19 AM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 8:19 AM
    PYO is an activity - in many places it's indoors too, under polytunnels. You don't PYO these days to save money, but to "go out and do something, usually with others". Like a theme park for skinny people

For price, don't forget you're not paying for what you put on the scales in the basket at the end... there's all those you eat as you pick!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 23rd Jun 17, 10:54 AM
    • 22,915 Posts
    • 47,637 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    I think you may be referring to a Crockford Bridge Farm? Which is a lovely place, incidentally, very well kept (I love the notices designed to stop cross-contamination of the autumn squashes).

The reason it charges so much is because of the area, it's in multi-millionaire territory.

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 23rd Jun 17, 11:01 AM
    • 12,239 Posts
    • 39,283 Thanks
    sarah1972
    I think you may be referring to a Crockford Bridge Farm? Which is a lovely place, incidentally, very well kept (I love the notices designed to stop cross-contamination of the autumn squashes).

The reason it charges so much is because of the area, it's in multi-millionaire territory.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    No the one I am referring to is in Milford near godalming x
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 23rd Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 6,246 Posts
    • 3,946 Thanks
    Ken68
    In my yoof, I picked strawberries (local)for the pocket money, unlike some of the city visitors who made a week of it, bringing tents and sleeping bags etc. It was fresh air done it. An adventure for the kids too.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 24th Jun 17, 8:02 AM
    • 22,915 Posts
    • 47,637 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    JackieO - where would you recommend for cherry picking in Kent? I would like to take the little one there for a day out in August, I'm sure she'll love being lifted up to pick them.

The last time I did it was in north Oxfordshire, en-route to the Cotswolds.

It's 8am now so time to get a few packs from Aldi.

• silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 25th Jun 17, 6:58 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 1,386 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    [QUOTE=VfM4meplse;72741823]JackieO - where would you recommend for cherry picking in Kent? I would like to take the little one there for a day out in August, I'm sure she'll love being lifted up to pick them.

QUOTE]

Felderland farm, Sandwich, Kent

https://www.felderland-pyo.co.uk/

you can click to see what's available.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 30th Jun 17, 11:43 AM
    • 1,089 Posts
    • 595 Thanks
    firefox1956
    All the PYO places in my area have all packed up over the last few years.
    All killed off by the cheap all year round products in the supermarkets.
    • MrJones1
    • By MrJones1 30th Jun 17, 12:04 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    MrJones1
    Earlier you would always get better prices than the supermarket prices and that would be reasonable. Nowadays Pick Your Own Fruit is unfortunately seen as an activity and you will pay more based on that. However, it can be a nice activity for your family and children.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 7th Jul 17, 12:59 PM
    • 11,439 Posts
    • 24,405 Thanks
    andygb
    Having spent many weeks strawberry picking as a youngster, there is no way I would pay more for PYO than for supermarket fruit.
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 9th Jul 17, 3:55 PM
    • 3,100 Posts
    • 6,384 Thanks
    Murphybear
    We have a brilliant farm shop that has PYO strawberries and raspberries. I think they are similar to supermarket prices but the taste is divine, much better than any supermarket produce. The raspberries in the height of the season are amazing and we pick tons for the freezer.

As an added bonus there is a cafe that does brilliant food.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 9th Jul 17, 9:25 PM
    • 22,915 Posts
    • 47,637 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I am going to do some PYO this week. Mid-June, I found some brambles close by with green fruit on it, which I was unsure of but decided were raspberries when they turned a dark pink. They are now becoming black, so I was wrong! Price = free.

It's just as well that blackberries taste as good as raspberries

• Doc N
    • By Doc N 9th Jul 17, 9:38 PM
    • 6,198 Posts
    • 19,131 Thanks
    Doc N
    I am going to do some PYO this week. Mid-June, I found some brambles close by with green fruit on it, which I was unsure of but decided were raspberries when they turned a dark pink. They are now becoming black, so I was wrong! Price = free.

It's just as well that blackberries taste as good as raspberries
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    If they're anywhere near a main road or a built up area I'd be very wary of eating them. Take care!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

271Posts Today

1,614Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin