Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 22nd Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    • 541Posts
    • 399Thanks
    Hattie625
    Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa
    • 22nd Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa 22nd Jun 17 at 11:12 AM
    Ulster Bank are now offering an Easy Access savings account paying 1.25% per annum, which easily beats all other offerings for accounts of this type. Funds can be withdrawn anytime with no penalty.

Opened and operated online. Minimum balance £1, maximum £5 million.

Available to UK residents of 18 or above (edited to correct age limit; previously incorrectly stated to be 16)

This would be useful to hold short-term money which is to be drip-fed into a regular saver account (or accounts).

(This has been mentioned on the Instant Access Savings Account Discussion thread, but I thought a separate thread would be useful to highlight this account).

EDITED TO ADD (28 JULY, FURTHER EDITED 6 AUGUST)

Before applying online to open this account, please be aware that the online opening process can be slow and it may be several weeks before you are in a position to fully operate the account (That said, my account was up and running within 2-3 weeks of initial application; while this is certainly slower than other savings account offerings, it was not undue and worth the wait).

PLEASE ALSO BE AWARE OF THE FOLLOWING:-

To withdraw funds from the account to another (non Ulster Bank) account, you require an Ulster Bank Anytime Banking card, a PIN for that card and a card reader. You need to apply for a card reader online (it will not be automatically sent). You should apply as soon as you have online access to the account. According to the Ulster Bank information for this account, an Anytime Banking card and PIN will automatically be sent to you when you apply for a card reader. However some people on this thread are reporting unacceptable delays in receiving the card, PIN or card reader, or UB denying that an online order was made. (Note:- if you have the card and PIN, it has been reported on this thread that a card reader issued by another bank will work to enable you to withdraw funds from this account). It has also been reported that you can use the Ulster Bank mobile phone app to withdraw (up to) £250 per day to another account without requiring the card, card reader and PIN. It is suggested that you do not rely on this but follow the commonsense rule which follows in bold lettering DO NOT LODGE FUNDS INTO THIS ACCOUNT UNTIL YOU ARE IN POSSESSION OF THE CARD, PIN AND A CARD READER AS IT WILL NOT BE POSSIBLE TO WITHDRAW FUNDS (BEYOND £250 PER DAY AFTER THE INCONVENIENCE OF DOWNLOADING AND USING THE MOBILE PHONE APP) UNTIL YOU HAVE THESE.
    Last edited by Hattie625; 06-08-2017 at 9:54 AM. Reason: Correction
Page 6
    • talexuser
    • By talexuser 14th Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 1,674 Thanks
    talexuser
    8 Days since they accepted my driving licence upload and email confirmations and no letter so far, so no account no or other info. Beginning to think it's not worth it for an extra 0.1%.
    • S_uk
    • By S_uk 14th Jul 17, 12:39 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    S_uk
    Did anyone else have a test payment of £1.01 taken from the debit card they used for id to open the account (which presumably will not actually go through)? My available balance went down by this much when my application went through and I can't think of anything else that it could be down to?
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 15th Jul 17, 8:34 AM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    glider3560
    I'm now on day 13. Managed to deposit an initial £1 payment a few days after opening. Since then, nothing has arrived. I requested the card reader as soon as possible, but that and the card have not arrived yet.

Really disappointing service. But very pleased I was advised on this thread to not transfer a large sum of money until the card arrives.

• miller
    • By miller 17th Jul 17, 11:17 AM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    miller
    Did anyone else have a test payment of £1.01 taken from the debit card they used for id to open the account (which presumably will not actually go through)? My available balance went down by this much when my application went through and I can't think of anything else that it could be down to?
    Originally posted by S_uk
    Yes, within about a week it dropped off (became available again). It showed as some third party ID verification firm when it was pending.
    • miller
    • By miller 17th Jul 17, 11:20 AM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    miller
    I'm now on day 13.
    Originally posted by glider3560
    Around day 15 and still waiting for the card. Got the other items (PIN/reader). Successfully used the reader with a Nationwide card to authorise a transaction (not that that helps anything, but confirms what was mentioned earlier regarding interchangability).

Dog slow really.

I am still slightly concerned regarding Wheres My Cashback's experience where even with all the kit a second transaction got held up in security checks.
    • billyboy
    • By billyboy 17th Jul 17, 9:12 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    billyboy
    Just received card today with promise of card reader and pin in a few days. opened account and saw online 28th June so hopefully getting there. May just get it done and then they drop their interest rate.
    Cheers!!!
    • talexuser
    • By talexuser 18th Jul 17, 11:30 AM
    • 2,220 Posts
    • 1,674 Thanks
    talexuser
    Sent my ID digitally on the 5th and just received account open email on the 17th. Now waiting for pack in post so can make a deposit. I reckon they have been overwhelmed with applications and couldn't cope in reasonable timescales.
    • GreenBitterfly
    • By GreenBitterfly 19th Jul 17, 3:48 PM
    • 307 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    GreenBitterfly
    Originally posted by S_uk
    Yes me, I thought my card had been skimmed/cloned, till I googled it and found a thread on here about the same company.
    • 10_66
    • By 10_66 20th Jul 17, 7:41 AM
    • 2,606 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    10_66
    Around day 15 and still waiting for the card. Got the other items (PIN/reader)...
    Originally posted by miller
    miller, have you received your card yet? Similarly to you, I received the PIN a week ago, the reader two days ago, but still no card. It's now 20 days since I applied for the account.
    • miller
    • By miller 20th Jul 17, 8:36 AM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    miller
    miller, have you received your card yet? Similarly to you, I received the PIN a week ago, the reader two days ago, but still no card. It's now 20 days since I applied for the account.
    Originally posted by 10_66
    In a word - no!
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 20th Jul 17, 8:38 AM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    glider3560
    My online banking has finally changed to ask me to enable the card reader, when trying to carry out a transaction, rather than asking me to order one. Hopefully this is good news.

Haven't received anything, except for the signature form so far (on day 17, I think).

• veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 20th Jul 17, 1:34 PM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    I hope they dont lower the rate before you've all received the gubbins to manage your accounts!
    • darren72
    • By darren72 20th Jul 17, 2:16 PM
    • 989 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    darren72
    I've opened my account already but I'm a bit confused with some of the comments. Do I need to wait to receive the card and reader before I deposit, or is that purely for withdrawing funds ?
    • S_uk
    • By S_uk 20th Jul 17, 2:26 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    S_uk
    My account is opened (waiting for the card reader etc) but I'm still getting emails and texts asking me to upload ID online. They then contradicted this when I rang them to check and told me in fact I don't need to do this and should ignore these messages..
    Last edited by S_uk; 20-07-2017 at 3:28 PM.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 20th Jul 17, 2:26 PM
    • 5,892 Posts
    • 2,455 Thanks
    roddydogs
    I've opened my account already but I'm a bit confused with some of the comments. Do I need to wait to receive the card and reader before I deposit, or is that purely for withdrawing funds ?
    Originally posted by darren72
    Only for withdrawing, so don't put too much in till you get it.!
    • 10_66
    • By 10_66 20th Jul 17, 3:31 PM
    • 2,606 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    10_66
    In a word - no!
    Originally posted by miller
    I tried ringing to see if they could tell if card's been issued and they hadn't got a clue (I was on hold for 30mins), they told me to try webchat. I've just tried webchat and they said as it'd been 20 days since opening and requesting reader etc they'd suggest cancelling card and PIN! They asked if I was ok with this. No, I'm not ok with it, as it'd be another long haul all over again. I'll give it another couple of days and then get it cancelled and re-issued (if indeed it'd ever been issued in the first place). I don't believe for one minute that so many of us could've had their cards lost in the post
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 20th Jul 17, 5:01 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    soulsaver
    I chased the elusive 'anytime' card the other day; I've got one of the toys after 3 weeks...just waiting for the other two...

...but she said you can make a withdrawal by phone... using an additional level of security.

PS Caveat: They didn't appear to know what they were doing..

PPS Maybe the UB Anytime card means it may ARRIVE anytime...
    Last edited by soulsaver; 20-07-2017 at 5:05 PM.
    There are 24 bottles of beer in a crate. There are 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not....
    • buffman
    • By buffman 20th Jul 17, 5:18 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    buffman
    I opened an account a few days after it was launched. The Everyday card finally arrived precisely 21 days later (though I did receive the card reader and PIN much earlier).
    My wife opened an account a week later. Today is 21 days since her account was opened - still no Everyday card.
    • 10_66
    • By 10_66 20th Jul 17, 5:22 PM
    • 2,606 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    10_66

PPS Maybe the UB Anytime card means it may ARRIVE anytime...
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    Haha, sounds about right
    • G_M
    • By G_M 20th Jul 17, 11:19 PM
    • 40,553 Posts
    • 46,397 Thanks
    G_M
    Very straight-forward account opening process. Appled online and authorised immediately with account number and sort code received same day by email.

Deposited funds next day.

2 letters within a few days: 1 requesting a sample signature the other with activation code for online banking.

All very easy. Havent yet applied for card or card reader as don't plan on withdrawals for a while, but I'll get round to that over the weekend.

Called them once for a clarificaton and got speedy, friendly and efficient answers on the phone. Can't fault them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

71Posts Today

2,446Users online

Martin's Twitter