Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 22nd Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    • 555Posts
    • 416Thanks
    Hattie625
    Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa
    • 22nd Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa 22nd Jun 17 at 11:12 AM
    Ulster Bank are now offering an Easy Access savings account paying 1.25% per annum, which easily beats all other offerings for accounts of this type. Funds can be withdrawn anytime with no penalty.

Opened and operated online. Minimum balance £1, maximum £5 million.

Available to UK residents of 18 or above (edited to correct age limit; previously incorrectly stated to be 16)

This would be useful to hold short-term money which is to be drip-fed into a regular saver account (or accounts).

(This has been mentioned on the Instant Access Savings Account Discussion thread, but I thought a separate thread would be useful to highlight this account).

EDITED TO ADD (28 JULY, FURTHER EDITED 6 AUGUST)

Before applying online to open this account, please be aware that the online opening process can be slow and it may be several weeks before you are in a position to fully operate the account (That said, my account was up and running within 2-3 weeks of initial application; while this is certainly slower than other savings account offerings, it was not undue and worth the wait).

PLEASE ALSO BE AWARE OF THE FOLLOWING:-

To withdraw funds from the account to another (non Ulster Bank) account, you require an Ulster Bank Anytime Banking card, a PIN for that card and a card reader. You need to apply for a card reader online (it will not be automatically sent). You should apply as soon as you have online access to the account. According to the Ulster Bank information for this account, an Anytime Banking card and PIN will automatically be sent to you when you apply for a card reader. However some people on this thread are reporting unacceptable delays in receiving the card, PIN or card reader, or UB denying that an online order was made. (Note:- if you have the card and PIN, it has been reported on this thread that a card reader issued by another bank will work to enable you to withdraw funds from this account). It has also been reported that you can use the Ulster Bank mobile phone app to withdraw (up to) £250 per day to another account without requiring the card, card reader and PIN. It is suggested that you do not rely on this but follow the commonsense rule which follows in bold lettering DO NOT LODGE FUNDS INTO THIS ACCOUNT UNTIL YOU ARE IN POSSESSION OF THE CARD, PIN AND A CARD READER AS IT WILL NOT BE POSSIBLE TO WITHDRAW FUNDS (BEYOND £250 PER DAY AFTER THE INCONVENIENCE OF DOWNLOADING AND USING THE MOBILE PHONE APP) UNTIL YOU HAVE THESE.
    Last edited by Hattie625; 06-08-2017 at 9:54 AM. Reason: Correction
Page 3
    • retiree
    • By retiree 3rd Jul 17, 1:15 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    retiree
    As I write, the online application sticks on the very first question: 'Would you like a sole or joint account?'
    • steve65e
    • By steve65e 3rd Jul 17, 1:27 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    steve65e
    As I write, the online application sticks on the very first question: 'Would you like a sole or joint account?'
    Originally posted by retiree
    Try changing browser. I had that using Opera, but it worked with Firefox.
    • retiree
    • By retiree 3rd Jul 17, 1:39 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    retiree
    Thank you, steve65e. I couldn't get it with Firefox, but it is working with IE.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 3rd Jul 17, 5:18 PM
    • 7,580 Posts
    • 3,667 Thanks
    Stompa
    I applied this morning, but oddly wasn't asked for any ID info (passport number etc.). I was expecting at the very least I'd get some sort of application acknowledgement email, but have heard nothing. Is that normal?
    Stompa
    • darren72
    • By darren72 3rd Jul 17, 5:42 PM
    • 998 Posts
    • 200 Thanks
    darren72
    I applied this morning, but oddly wasn't asked for any ID info (passport number etc.). I was expecting at the very least I'd get some sort of application acknowledgement email, but have heard nothing. Is that normal?
    Originally posted by Stompa
    Yes - I thought the same.

The confirmation screen was very vague too. A few days later I received an e-mail asking for me to upload my ID to their website.

Another few days later (today) I've just had an e-mail saying my account has been approved and will be opened shortly.
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 3rd Jul 17, 7:21 PM
    • 7,580 Posts
    • 3,667 Thanks
    Stompa
    Yes - I thought the same.

The confirmation screen was very vague too. A few days later I received an e-mail asking for me to upload my ID to their website.

Another few days later (today) I've just had an e-mail saying my account has been approved and will be opened shortly.
    Originally posted by darren72
    Thanks. Hopefully they won't ask for any ID, as I don't have any!
    Stompa
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 4th Jul 17, 7:43 AM
    • 3,245 Posts
    • 1,954 Thanks
    glider3560
    Opened online last night, received sort code and account number immediately. Made a £1 Faster Payment. Noticed today a credit on my bank account "REJECTED FASTER PAYMENT".

How soon should I be able to make a payment? Seems odd giving an account number that you cannot pay into!

• colsten
    • By colsten 4th Jul 17, 7:57 AM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 7,370 Thanks
    colsten

How soon should I be able to make a payment? Seems odd giving an account number that you cannot pay into!
    Originally posted by glider3560
    Wait until you can see the account online. That should happen within a working day.

If you haven't got an Ulster card yet, you might also want to wait until you get that, as you won't be able to make any withdrawals without a card.
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 4th Jul 17, 11:36 AM
    • 2,026 Posts
    • 1,265 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    Ulster's Online banking has the great advantage of being like Tescos in that once you've set up a payment you can use those payment instructions from any Ulster account you have on your online banking.

Negating the need for multiple payment set ups to one destination.
    • buffman
    • By buffman 4th Jul 17, 12:15 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    buffman
    10 days after having ordered my card reader, I am still waiting for the card and reader. Have received a PIN though. What are others' experiences?
    • steve65e
    • By steve65e 4th Jul 17, 4:14 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    steve65e
    I haven't received anything from them by email or post, but my account has just appeared online (2 working days). There is, however, a secure message asking me to print off and return a customer signature form.
    It all seems a bit random so far.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 4th Jul 17, 4:58 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    soulsaver
    Wait until you can see the account online. That should happen within a working day.

If you haven't got an Ulster card yet, you might also want to wait until you get that, as you won't be able to make any withdrawals without a card.
    Originally posted by colsten
    Needs an activation code (texted or mailed) if you're new or a "re-activating" customer.
    There are 24 bottles of beer in a crate. There are 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not....
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 4th Jul 17, 6:06 PM
    • 7,580 Posts
    • 3,667 Thanks
    Stompa
    Thanks. Hopefully they won't ask for any ID, as I don't have any!
    Originally posted by Stompa
    Damn, they've asked for some Photo ID (which I don't have). That must be the first time I've been asked for ID when opening an account for at least a decade.

Update: Having spoken to them again it appears that Photo ID is an absolute requirement, there's no way round it. Oh well, no account for me then, a shame as I had an account with them several years ago and they struck me as being one of the better banks.
    Last edited by Stompa; 05-07-2017 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Updated
    Stompa
    • Tom_Jones
    • By Tom_Jones 6th Jul 17, 7:33 PM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    Tom_Jones
    I opened an account about a week ago, got the sort code account number, tried to log in the following day, no joy, tried again the following day, again no joy and then had to reregister my details, no email or anything to confirm account opening.

Absolutley APPALLING bank IMHO and they will not get any money from me now.
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 06-07-2017 at 7:38 PM.
    • buffman
    • By buffman 6th Jul 17, 7:42 PM
    • 361 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    buffman
    2 weeks now since opening and funded. Just received my card reader and PIN. Still waiting for the card..............................
    • tabbycat2k
    • By tabbycat2k 7th Jul 17, 9:58 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    tabbycat2k
    A small warning (I didn't read the info properly),that even though you can open this account online and transfer money IN, you have to actually ORDER the card reader (and this should automatically order the card to go with it) before you can get money OUT! Obviously an NI centric bank (obv!) as the only other option I was offered was to go into a branch!

(I was more than surprised that this was not automatic,but apparently not).
    Last edited by tabbycat2k; 07-07-2017 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Additional info
    • colsten
    • By colsten 7th Jul 17, 1:46 PM
    • 8,717 Posts
    • 7,370 Thanks
    colsten
    A small warning (I didn't read the info properly),that even though you can open this account online and transfer money IN, you have to actually ORDER the card reader (and this should automatically order the card to go with it) before you can get money OUT! Obviously an NI centric bank (obv!) as the only other option I was offered was to go into a branch!

(I was more than surprised that this was not automatic,but apparently not).
    Originally posted by tabbycat2k
    The Natwest and RBS card readers work as well. So does the Nationwide one. So you could get/use one of those quite easily. The critical item is the card.
    • miller
    • By miller 10th Jul 17, 9:39 AM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    miller
    I wonder if getting the card reader is contingent on sending the signature form back; what are the "certain transactions" which cannot be carried out if you don't (IMO the implication is that it is not mandatory to send it back)?

This application reminds me of the reams of inconsistent, badly formatted, mostly irrelevant scraps of A4 which I had to fill in after doing an "online" business account application for NatWest which culminated in me visiting a branch anyway. That took an inordinate amount of time to get up and running as well.
    Last edited by miller; 11-07-2017 at 8:57 AM. Reason: typo
    • Frannie B
    • By Frannie B 10th Jul 17, 10:15 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Frannie B
    Hiya,

I'm new here but would just like to ask a question about opening this account and if any others also had this happen...

I'm currently on the road to improving my credit score so am constantly on top of all my credit reports. When I opened my Ulster account, it then left a 'hard search' on my credit report which then decreased it by 57 points! I found this a bit odd as had not applied for any credit whatsoever...

Has this happened to anyone and did I just totally miss this note in the T&Cs!?

Thanks,
    Francesca
    • billyboy
    • By billyboy 10th Jul 17, 10:22 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    billyboy
    Opened account on 28th June and paid money in ok 2 days after. Sent back printed signature form but received another through post 2 days ago. Ordered card reader 4 days ago and this, according to online chat, should trigger online card to be sent. Here's hoping!!!
    Cheers!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,772Posts Today

6,717Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin