Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 22nd Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    • 623Posts
    • 489Thanks
    Hattie625
    Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa
    • 22nd Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa 22nd Jun 17 at 11:12 AM
    Ulster Bank are now offering an Easy Access savings account paying 1.25% per annum, which easily beats all other offerings for accounts of this type. Funds can be withdrawn anytime with no penalty.

Opened and operated online. Minimum balance £1, maximum £5 million.

Available to UK residents of 18 or above (edited to correct age limit; previously incorrectly stated to be 16)

This would be useful to hold short-term money which is to be drip-fed into a regular saver account (or accounts).

(This has been mentioned on the Instant Access Savings Account Discussion thread, but I thought a separate thread would be useful to highlight this account).

EDITED TO ADD (28 JULY, FURTHER EDITED 6 AUGUST)

Before applying online to open this account, please be aware that the online opening process can be slow and it may be several weeks before you are in a position to fully operate the account (That said, my account was up and running within 2-3 weeks of initial application; while this is certainly slower than other savings account offerings, it was not undue and worth the wait).

PLEASE ALSO BE AWARE OF THE FOLLOWING:-

To withdraw funds from the account to another (non Ulster Bank) account, you require an Ulster Bank Anytime Banking card, a PIN for that card and a card reader. You need to apply for a card reader online (it will not be automatically sent). You should apply as soon as you have online access to the account. According to the Ulster Bank information for this account, an Anytime Banking card and PIN will automatically be sent to you when you apply for a card reader. However some people on this thread are reporting unacceptable delays in receiving the card, PIN or card reader, or UB denying that an online order was made. (Note:- if you have the card and PIN, it has been reported on this thread that a card reader issued by another bank will work to enable you to withdraw funds from this account). It has also been reported that you can use the Ulster Bank mobile phone app to withdraw (up to) £250 per day to another account without requiring the card, card reader and PIN. It is suggested that you do not rely on this but follow the commonsense rule which follows in bold lettering DO NOT LODGE FUNDS INTO THIS ACCOUNT UNTIL YOU ARE IN POSSESSION OF THE CARD, PIN AND A CARD READER AS IT WILL NOT BE POSSIBLE TO WITHDRAW FUNDS (BEYOND £250 PER DAY AFTER THE INCONVENIENCE OF DOWNLOADING AND USING THE MOBILE PHONE APP) UNTIL YOU HAVE THESE.
    Last edited by Hattie625; 06-08-2017 at 9:54 AM. Reason: Correction
Page 23
    • chels
    • By chels 17th Oct 17, 3:46 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 4,479 Thanks
    chels
    perhaps i'm missing something, but can you still apply for the account online or has it been disabled??

if I go to http://digital.ulsterbank.co.uk/personal/savings/instant-access-accounts/eSavings/eSavingsApply.html, step 3 asks if it's a sole or joint account... but there's no way to give a choice... viewing the source code, I can see there should be radio buttons - but they aren't visible (in Firefox, Edge or Chrome).

though having read this thread, I probably won't bother to open one and i'll keep the money where it is.
    Originally posted by janusdesign
    Just had a look, the options are visible to me and I was able to proceed (using Chrome).
    *2015*
    £s GAINED: Cash £367.33 Vouchers £216.00
    LBs LOST: 2.5 / 28

• janusdesign
    • By janusdesign 17th Oct 17, 3:52 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    janusdesign
    Just had a look, the options are visible to me and I was able to proceed (using Chrome).
    Originally posted by chels
    thanks... but this is what i'm seeing...

http://prntscr.com/gyjj5v
    • steve65e
    • By steve65e 17th Oct 17, 11:02 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    steve65e
    thanks... but this is what i'm seeing...

http://prntscr.com/gyjj5v
    It must be down to browser versions, or even operating system.
    I use Linux and I can now see the buttons in Firefox and Opera. But when I applied in the summer it didn't work in Opera. Another poster said he could do it with Opera but not Firefox!

In this respect (only) I have some sympathy for UB. It must be a nightmare keeping sites working for all browsers, formats and OS's.

(3 months on and I'm about to put my first payment in. Wish me luck!)
    • janusdesign
    • By janusdesign 18th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    janusdesign
    It must be down to browser versions, or even operating system.
    Originally posted by steve65e
    no - it was caused by an idiotic oversight on my part!

it was being blocked by uBlock Origin - once I disabled that and refreshed the page, I could see the options again.
    • miller
    • By miller 18th Oct 17, 3:37 PM
    • 1,210 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    miller
    Easy enough to do, I use one browser for general websurfing with all potential nasties switched off by default and then enabled if required to make the page function; I use another for buying/transactional based activities which lets everything through (just in case they haven't tested it). Got caught out once with TV Licencing where the transaction authorised the payment card, but didn't complete because I'd not enabled some javascript it required.
    • miller
    • By miller 31st Oct 17, 10:28 AM
    • 1,210 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    miller
    Now showing as not available to new customers:
    http://digital.ulsterbank.co.uk/personal/savings/manage-your-savings/Interest-Rates-FCA.html#personalsavings
    • janusdesign
    • By janusdesign 31st Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    janusdesign
    oh well, I missed the boat on that one... i'm now trying to open a Tesco account online and getting nowhere... will try later tonight.
    • mt99
    • By mt99 31st Oct 17, 1:14 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    mt99
    BHam Midshires pay 1.3% compared with Tesco 1.2% you could try that one
    • janusdesign
    • By janusdesign 31st Oct 17, 2:30 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    janusdesign
    BHam Midshires pay 1.3% compared with Tesco 1.2% you could try that one
    Originally posted by mt99
    thanks for that, but there are potential circumstances where I might need quick access to it, and so for the sake of £10 interest a year, I think i'd prefer Tesco.

i'm in no desperate rush, but if I can't open with Tesco by the end of the week, i'll look elsewhere... perhaps BM as I used to have an account with them years ago.
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 31st Oct 17, 10:28 PM
    • 799 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    oh well, I missed the boat on that one... i'm now trying to open a Tesco account online and getting nowhere... will try later tonight.
    Interest is added to the account today. Maybe just coincidence that the account is no longer open to new savers on the same date.

It's possible they will bring out a new edition but hold off doing so until BOE next meets to set base rate or bring out a new account sooner, or not bring one out, or.........its banking!
    • miller
    • By miller 1st Nov 17, 11:42 AM
    • 1,210 Posts
    • 402 Thanks
    miller
    One thing is for certain, if the rate ends up near the derisory rates on their other closed accounts, I'm off!
    • janusdesign
    • By janusdesign 1st Nov 17, 1:41 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    janusdesign
    It's possible they will bring out a new edition but hold off doing so until BOE next meets to set base rate or bring out a new account sooner, or not bring one out, or.........its banking!
    Originally posted by Yorkshire Pud
    well if they launch a new account after this month, my passport will have expired!

i'm only getting 0.25% at the moment, so it will have to be moved at some point.

The BoE meet tomorrow, but I might leave it until after the Budget if nothing worthwhile is launched soon.... and I still can't register at Tesco!
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 1st Nov 17, 5:43 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    soulsaver
    well if they launch a new account after this month, my passport will have expired!
    You can renew on-line now... no photo booth required
    Last edited by soulsaver; 01-11-2017 at 5:45 PM.
    • Gambler
    • By Gambler 2nd Dec 17, 1:20 PM
    • 3,166 Posts
    • 350 Thanks
    Gambler
    Any news on them raising the interest rate?
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 2nd Dec 17, 1:42 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    RG2015
    Any news on them raising the interest rate?
    Originally posted by Gambler
    Absolutely no way will they be raising the rate. They were banking on a quick influx of cash. Now the account is closed to new applications, raising the interest only loses them money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

1,457Users online

Martin's Twitter