Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 22nd Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    • 577Posts
    • 445Thanks
    Hattie625
    Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa
    • 22nd Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa 22nd Jun 17 at 11:12 AM
    Ulster Bank are now offering an Easy Access savings account paying 1.25% per annum, which easily beats all other offerings for accounts of this type. Funds can be withdrawn anytime with no penalty.

Opened and operated online. Minimum balance £1, maximum £5 million.

Available to UK residents of 18 or above (edited to correct age limit; previously incorrectly stated to be 16)

This would be useful to hold short-term money which is to be drip-fed into a regular saver account (or accounts).

(This has been mentioned on the Instant Access Savings Account Discussion thread, but I thought a separate thread would be useful to highlight this account).

EDITED TO ADD (28 JULY, FURTHER EDITED 6 AUGUST)

Before applying online to open this account, please be aware that the online opening process can be slow and it may be several weeks before you are in a position to fully operate the account (That said, my account was up and running within 2-3 weeks of initial application; while this is certainly slower than other savings account offerings, it was not undue and worth the wait).

PLEASE ALSO BE AWARE OF THE FOLLOWING:-

To withdraw funds from the account to another (non Ulster Bank) account, you require an Ulster Bank Anytime Banking card, a PIN for that card and a card reader. You need to apply for a card reader online (it will not be automatically sent). You should apply as soon as you have online access to the account. According to the Ulster Bank information for this account, an Anytime Banking card and PIN will automatically be sent to you when you apply for a card reader. However some people on this thread are reporting unacceptable delays in receiving the card, PIN or card reader, or UB denying that an online order was made. (Note:- if you have the card and PIN, it has been reported on this thread that a card reader issued by another bank will work to enable you to withdraw funds from this account). It has also been reported that you can use the Ulster Bank mobile phone app to withdraw (up to) £250 per day to another account without requiring the card, card reader and PIN. It is suggested that you do not rely on this but follow the commonsense rule which follows in bold lettering DO NOT LODGE FUNDS INTO THIS ACCOUNT UNTIL YOU ARE IN POSSESSION OF THE CARD, PIN AND A CARD READER AS IT WILL NOT BE POSSIBLE TO WITHDRAW FUNDS (BEYOND £250 PER DAY AFTER THE INCONVENIENCE OF DOWNLOADING AND USING THE MOBILE PHONE APP) UNTIL YOU HAVE THESE.
    Last edited by Hattie625; 06-08-2017 at 9:54 AM. Reason: Correction
Page 22
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 23rd Sep 17, 2:44 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    Tempted by the high (er) interest rate I opened this account.

Now I've found this thread! Opening online went OK but laborious inputting passport details, don't know if I was hard credit scored it didn't say I would be, marketing options are a trick which I don't like, first box of three is to opt out second and third are to opt in banks should be above this old fashioned do you want to not not receive marketing by phone text or elephant on Tuesdays but always on Fridays unless its raining

Sent a token amount to my new account immediately refused. Tried to register for online banking, like opening the account again! Failed.

Clarified with helpful lady in Ireland wait until working week starts before registering, card reader can only be requested after registering, takes about 3 weeks.

Having got used to slick Internet banks and systems this is a bit of a sheep dog trial of an account to get going on, hope I get there in the end.........and relax........
    • Jenfc
    • By Jenfc 23rd Sep 17, 3:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jenfc
    I opened this account at the beginning of August. It has been the most horrendous experience with everything possible going wrong. The system opened a second account 2 weeks after the first. I was told it had been closed nearly a month ago - but now see that isn't the case. I have been unable to log in and see my details or do anything in the account for over 4 weeks. I have been given different explanations. When at last I was told to reregister for anytime banking and that this would resolve the issue, I waited over 2 weeks for an activation code. When I queried this I was told I hadn't reregistered even though I had received a text thanking me for reregistering when I did this. I was told to go through the process again. When finally I received this I managed to log in and see my account details, I finally was able to try to activate my card reader - but the option on line wasn't working. Having queried this, I was told I needed to order the reader on line. I explained I already had a card reader and a card, but I hadn't yet been able to activate it because of the problem accessing my account on line. I was told I needed re-order the card reader, but that I should then be able to use the original one in 2 days. I will try again in 2 days, but am not optimistic. I have raised 3 complaints and have been told someone will ring me within 2 working days. The first time was on the 29th August, the second on the 5th September. I have heard nothing and then last week when I asked again for them to check a complaint had been raised they said there was no record of this, even though they could see the on-line chat I'd had and that I'd been told it had been raised. So they took details a 3rd time, and guarenteed I would be called that afternoon. I'm still waiting 3 days later. I had initial problems with the digidocs system. I had a text thanking me for changing my address - which panicked me because I hadn't asked for this and wondered if it was a sign of identity fraud. When I rang I was told this was a common problem and that the system was randomly sending out these texts for no reason. I have this month received a bank statement for the second account and not the one with my money. This also panicked me because the statement said I have £0 in the account - instead of several thousand pounds. All I want now is to take all my money out and close the account. I have wanted to do this since the end of August but am still waiting. I have read lots of similar complaints onTrustPilot. I cannot believe that I bank can be allowed to continue to offer an account they obviously can't service. I suspect they can't cope with demand - a previous top interest account that I was going to open was withdrawn before I got to it, because of the level of demand. Ulster bank should be forced to do the same. This shouldn't be a recommended account or there should be stronger warnings. I have spent hours over the last 2 months trying to sort this and am despairing. JUST DON'T OPEN an account with Ulster Bank. If you do open it, make sure you have a card reader that is activated along with a card and the pin before transferring money in. Or you might find you can never get at your money!
    Last edited by Jenfc; 23-09-2017 at 3:46 PM.
    • DawlishDilbert
    • By DawlishDilbert 29th Sep 17, 3:05 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    DawlishDilbert
    Good Grief!
    Glad it wasn't just me. I applied twice but couldn't get the initial process completed on either occasion, so gave up. Then got texts/emails reminding me to complete the process. Glad I ignored them. What a PITA!
    • StephanieCouvela
    • By StephanieCouvela 29th Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    StephanieCouvela
    Just to add to the list of people who have not received their debit cards - I opened this account in early August, it's now the end of September.

First I was told a card would be issued automatically when I ordered the card reader - it didn't arrive so I rang and they agreed to order me one.

A week or so later I was sent a PIN but no card appeared. I rang again to chase and was told that there was some problem with lots of cards, and they were all being reissued.

Another week and again I was sent a PIN but no card. That was two weeks ago. I've just rung to chase and they have no explanation. Rather than keep waiting I asked for that card to be cancelled and reissued again.

I'm told I should get my card and PIN within ten days - I'm not holding my breath.

And a general point - why on earth is the a card and reader not issued automatically when the account is opened? Who opens a savings account and doesn't want to be able to make withdrawals?!

The staff are friendly and apologetic on the phone but that does not make up for abysmal customer service. It's a sign of just how crap interest rates are that I'm still putting up with this for a paltry 1.25%.
    • talexuser
    • By talexuser 29th Sep 17, 5:33 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 1,735 Thanks
    talexuser
    You could all go for the Charter 1.26%, but bearing in mind that for every £1000 you save that is an extra 10 pence a year in interest I wouldn't bother unless you are really mad with Ulster - mind you a more normal withdrawal procedure might be more palatable for those who didn't realise the terms before opening.
    • do163600
    • By do163600 29th Sep 17, 5:48 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    do163600
    I have also had the problem of having two accounts opened, instead of one. I also got the text about change of address, couldn't log in to my account for a week or so.

I discovered last week that they had done 2 searches on my credit file - great!

I found out today (from this thread) that I need a card and card reader in order to access my money. My partner also opened an account. She phoned Ulsterbank this morning and asked about the card and reader, and why she hadn't been told about them. "It's no secret", she was told. Well, it was as far as we were concerned.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 29th Sep 17, 6:19 PM
    • 3,883 Posts
    • 5,302 Thanks
    kinger101
    So glad I spotted this thread. Would have hated to have found out all the silly hoops you have to jump though to get your money a couple of days before completion. My money is being withdrawn ASAP.

Standard online chat advice is visit your local branch. About as much use as a fart in a spacesuit when you live in SE England.

The really need to stop calling it an Easy Access account.
    • Cyclizine
    • By Cyclizine 29th Sep 17, 6:33 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cyclizine
    I opened an account a couple of months ago - I seem to be one of the few that things went smoothly for! Logins were sent quickly and I got a card and card-reader within a few days of requesting them.
    • expansion
    • By expansion 30th Sep 17, 2:09 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    expansion
    This has been the worst account opening process I have had in my life. Not exaggerating.
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 1st Oct 17, 11:11 AM
    • 771 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    This has been the worst account opening process I have had in my life. Not exaggerating.
    Originally posted by expansion
    Yes it is very slow and tedious to open this account.

I think they are using, having to use, old systems and technology and are well behind the times.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 1st Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 8,753 Posts
    • 7,413 Thanks
    colsten
    Yes it is very slow and tedious to open this account.
    Originally posted by Yorkshire Pud
    That appears to be true for those who aren't already an Ulster Bank customer. It is a complete doddle and very quick for those who are existing customers.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 1st Oct 17, 1:34 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    RG2015
    Originally posted by expansion
    Day 1 (Sunday) - Applied online and after spending 10 minutes completing the forms got told that the system was unavailable but later found out that they had performed a hard search on my credit file.
    Day 2 (Monday) - applied again and was accepted although they performed a second hard search.
    Day 3 - Had online access and was able to see the £1 I had deposited.
    Day 4 - Activated mobile app and moved £1 out of the account.
    Day 8 - Applied for card that I assumed would have been sent out automatically.
    Day 39 - Received email advising that they were cancelling my card (which I had not received) as some people had reported problems with it not working.
    Day 47 - Received two cards one of which actually worked which meant I was fully operative.

I also received three emails and three texts requesting that I send ID documents so they could open the account that had already been opened. I ignored these.

Overall it has shown UB to be unbelievably inefficient, incompetent and non-communicative. However, this thread has enabled me to be prepared for each hurdle. My life motto is to always be one step ahead of the all of the excrement life throws my way so I have probably achieved that particular goal.
    Last edited by RG2015; 01-10-2017 at 2:13 PM.
    • mt99
    • By mt99 1st Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 393 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    mt99
    For others reading this thread you might want to look at Shawbrook instant access account - excellent service all along the way.
    • newlease
    • By newlease 1st Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    newlease
    Epic thread, reminds me of the III fail some years ago. Avoiding this one.
    • vernall
    • By vernall 1st Oct 17, 8:25 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    vernall
    I am having problems with Shawbrook.

Went to log on earlier to check I had the right account number before I transferred some more money into it and I can't.Was fine on Friday though.

I am using the correct customer number and know I am putting the correct password in and it just says that customer number is currently inactive.I also go along the route of resetting password and know I am entering the correct characters for the questions they ask and it just says it is not......it also says after 3 incorrect attempts it will lock access but it has not,it just keeps asking the same characters and I inputted them 5 times on the trot just to prove it.

Guess I have to wait until their office opens tomorrow morning at 9am (no weekend hours)
    Last edited by vernall; 01-10-2017 at 8:34 PM.
    • Jenfc
    • By Jenfc 5th Oct 17, 5:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jenfc
    I opened this account at the beginning of August. It has been the most horrendous experience with everything possible going wrong. The system opened a second account 2 weeks after the first. I was told it had been closed nearly a month ago - but now see that isn't the case. I have been unable to log in and see my details or do anything in the account for over 4 weeks. I have been given different explanations. When at last I was told to reregister for anytime banking and that this would resolve the issue, I waited over 2 weeks for an activation code. When I queried this I was told I hadn't reregistered even though I had received a text thanking me for reregistering when I did this. I was told to go through the process again. When finally I received this I managed to log in and see my account details, I finally was able to try to activate my card reader - but the option on line wasn't working. Having queried this, I was told I needed to order the reader on line. I explained I already had a card reader and a card, but I hadn't yet been able to activate it because of the problem accessing my account on line. I was told I needed re-order the card reader, but that I should then be able to use the original one in 2 days. I will try again in 2 days, but am not optimistic. I have raised 3 complaints and have been told someone will ring me within 2 working days. The first time was on the 29th August, the second on the 5th September. I have heard nothing and then last week when I asked again for them to check a complaint had been raised they said there was no record of this, even though they could see the on-line chat I'd had and that I'd been told it had been raised. So they took details a 3rd time, and guarenteed I would be called that afternoon. I'm still waiting 3 days later. I had initial problems with the digidocs system. I had a text thanking me for changing my address - which panicked me because I hadn't asked for this and wondered if it was a sign of identity fraud. When I rang I was told this was a common problem and that the system was randomly sending out these texts for no reason. I have this month received a bank statement for the second account and not the one with my money. This also panicked me because the statement said I have £0 in the account - instead of several thousand pounds. All I want now is to take all my money out and close the account. I have wanted to do this since the end of August but am still waiting. I have read lots of similar complaints onTrustPilot. I cannot believe that I bank can be allowed to continue to offer an account they obviously can't service. I suspect they can't cope with demand - a previous top interest account that I was going to open was withdrawn before I got to it, because of the level of demand. Ulster bank should be forced to do the same. This shouldn't be a recommended account or there should be stronger warnings. I have spent hours over the last 2 months trying to sort this and am despairing. JUST DON'T OPEN an account with Ulster Bank. If you do open it, make sure you have a card reader that is activated along with a card and the pin before transferring money in. Or you might find you can never get at your money!
    Originally posted by Jenfc
    An update - the card reader was enabled - but the card and pin I had been sent in August did not work. When I queried this, they said it was because I had not been sent a card and pin. I sat looking at my card, pin number and card reader in my hand and wondered if I had started to hallucinate. They told me that there was no record of me having been sent a card, a pin or a card reader so I couldn't possibly have it. When I insisted that I did they looked into it further and said there was nothing linked to me account, nothing had been sent out to, but that they did have a record that I'd been sent a wrong pin number. Finally when I said I just wanted to get my money back as soon as possible, I was told that they had now made it possible for customers to do this at any RBS or Nat West branch. So I dutifully travelled into town to do this. The RBS looked at me blankly - checked with colleagues, tried to find any option on line, and told me that no, it was not an option. They sent me to the Nat West, where a very helpful and sympathetic bank manager told me that there was no arrangement with the Ulster Bank to do this. He went and double checked, but he advised me to contact the ombudsman.

I am pleased to report however that I have since received a second card reader, pin and card, and they all worked this time round. I was able to transfer all the money back out of the Ulster bank after 7 weeks of battling Ulster Banks misinformation, poor systems, and appalling customer care. Going to put together a long letter of complaint- needless to say i still haven't had a phone call back from the complaints department after lodging 3 separate complaints via phone calls and on line chat.
    Last edited by Jenfc; 05-10-2017 at 5:50 PM.
    • SouthLondonUser
    • By SouthLondonUser 6th Oct 17, 9:50 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    SouthLondonUser
    A quick summary of my experience.
    On July 31st I applied for a CharterCourt ISA and for an Ulster saving account. My ChaterCourt account was up and running in 2 days. It is now Sept 18th and I still do not have access to the ***** Ulster account!
    Originally posted by SouthLondonUser
    It is now October 6th and still no access. 2 months and a week to have access to a bloody account? It is beyond ridiculous.
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 13th Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    Opened account 23 September, I was drip fed all the necessary bits and pieces up to the PIN yesterday to use with the card reader and card and can now use the account, transfer out etc.

So for me it has taken just under three weeks.

Not bad compared to some and everything worked but what a clunking process
    Last edited by Yorkshire Pud; 13-10-2017 at 7:33 PM.
    • Marksfish
    • By Marksfish 13th Oct 17, 7:39 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Marksfish
    After my initial reservations, my account has been working fine. I have also opened a new account yesterday that was operational today.
    • janusdesign
    • By janusdesign 17th Oct 17, 3:21 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    janusdesign
    perhaps i'm missing something, but can you still apply for the account online or has it been disabled??

if I go to http://digital.ulsterbank.co.uk/personal/savings/instant-access-accounts/eSavings/eSavingsApply.html, step 3 asks if it's a sole or joint account... but there's no way to give a choice... viewing the source code, I can see there should be radio buttons - but they aren't visible (in Firefox, Edge or Chrome).

though having read this thread, I probably won't bother to open one and i'll keep the money where it is.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,623Posts Today

7,315Users online

Martin's Twitter