Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hattie625
    • By Hattie625 22nd Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    • 555Posts
    • 416Thanks
    Hattie625
    Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa
    • 22nd Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    Ulster Bank: Easy Access Savings Account at 1.25% pa 22nd Jun 17 at 11:12 AM
    Ulster Bank are now offering an Easy Access savings account paying 1.25% per annum, which easily beats all other offerings for accounts of this type. Funds can be withdrawn anytime with no penalty.

Opened and operated online. Minimum balance £1, maximum £5 million.

Available to UK residents of 18 or above (edited to correct age limit; previously incorrectly stated to be 16)

This would be useful to hold short-term money which is to be drip-fed into a regular saver account (or accounts).

(This has been mentioned on the Instant Access Savings Account Discussion thread, but I thought a separate thread would be useful to highlight this account).

EDITED TO ADD (28 JULY, FURTHER EDITED 6 AUGUST)

Before applying online to open this account, please be aware that the online opening process can be slow and it may be several weeks before you are in a position to fully operate the account (That said, my account was up and running within 2-3 weeks of initial application; while this is certainly slower than other savings account offerings, it was not undue and worth the wait).

PLEASE ALSO BE AWARE OF THE FOLLOWING:-

To withdraw funds from the account to another (non Ulster Bank) account, you require an Ulster Bank Anytime Banking card, a PIN for that card and a card reader. You need to apply for a card reader online (it will not be automatically sent). You should apply as soon as you have online access to the account. According to the Ulster Bank information for this account, an Anytime Banking card and PIN will automatically be sent to you when you apply for a card reader. However some people on this thread are reporting unacceptable delays in receiving the card, PIN or card reader, or UB denying that an online order was made. (Note:- if you have the card and PIN, it has been reported on this thread that a card reader issued by another bank will work to enable you to withdraw funds from this account). It has also been reported that you can use the Ulster Bank mobile phone app to withdraw (up to) £250 per day to another account without requiring the card, card reader and PIN. It is suggested that you do not rely on this but follow the commonsense rule which follows in bold lettering DO NOT LODGE FUNDS INTO THIS ACCOUNT UNTIL YOU ARE IN POSSESSION OF THE CARD, PIN AND A CARD READER AS IT WILL NOT BE POSSIBLE TO WITHDRAW FUNDS (BEYOND £250 PER DAY AFTER THE INCONVENIENCE OF DOWNLOADING AND USING THE MOBILE PHONE APP) UNTIL YOU HAVE THESE.
    Last edited by Hattie625; 06-08-2017 at 9:54 AM. Reason: Correction
Page 20
    • tobago22
    • By tobago22 4th Sep 17, 12:12 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    tobago22
    Ulster Bank:Easy Access Savings Account
    This mob are a joke. Having waited 4 weeks for Card Reader then Card and today the pin I find that the pin does not work with the card reader. Have written to them to close account
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 4th Sep 17, 12:16 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    soulsaver
    Opening this savings account is an absolute joke. After faffing around with numerous letters, emails and texts for the past 6 weeks, I finally get the PIN for the card reader today.

The only trouble is the PIN does not work!

So after a long phone call a new card and PIN will be with me in 7-10 days time.
    Originally posted by Tom99
    You're ahead of me... June opened.. now have 3 card readers... but not had a card or pin yet.

I know I can use their very long winded telephone banking in the event I need to access the cash though, so not unduly bothered.

For info, if anyone else is in the same boat..
    They haven't been able to resolve the (not)Anytime(soon) banking card problem so I've opened a current account in the hope that when I eventually get the debit card it will work with the reader for the savings ac too.
    There are 24 bottles of beer in a crate. There are 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not....
    • Rollinghome
    • By Rollinghome 4th Sep 17, 2:53 PM
    • 2,091 Posts
    • 2,276 Thanks
    Rollinghome
    So after a long phone call a new card and PIN will be with me in 7-10 days time.
    Originally posted by Tom99
    I applaud your confidence in Ulster Bank.
    • Marksfish
    • By Marksfish 4th Sep 17, 3:00 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Marksfish
    Surely they only need to reset the pin and send a new notification, not both?
    • anyinterest
    • By anyinterest 5th Sep 17, 11:34 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    anyinterest
    Ulser Bank E Savings Account
    It's been over 5 weeks since I applied for E Savings account. The PIN arrived yesterday for the Card Reader. As instructed I inserted the Anytime Card in to the Reader to change the PIN. Entered the PIN several times which doesn't work and now I'm blocked so phoned the bank. Waited 30 minutes and couldn't get through! Tried the online chat and eventually was told I need a new PIN and Anytime Card which will be posted. So now will have to wait another few weeks! Why have they made what should be an easy process so difficult and frustrating?
    • richy4
    • By richy4 5th Sep 17, 8:24 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    richy4
    To add to your frustration, I strongly suggest you check your credit report.

They'll have HARD credit checked you.

So maybe don't be too hasty to just close down your account, after they've stung you badly may as well use it!
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 6th Sep 17, 4:42 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    soulsaver
    You're ahead of me... June opened.. now have 3 card readers... but not had a card or pin yet.

I know I can use their very long winded telephone banking in the event I need to access the cash though, so not unduly bothered.

For info, if anyone else is in the same boat..
    They haven't been able to resolve the (not)Anytime(soon) banking card problem so I've opened a current account in the hope that when I eventually get the debit card it will work with the reader for the savings ac too.
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    Finally... Debit card for new current ac arrived with the pin (in same post) today & I can activate the card reader & FTAOD works with the saving ac, too.

it's been a struggle...

Anyone know how to change pin with the reader, save me going to an ATM?
    There are 24 bottles of beer in a crate. There are 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not....
    • fwor
    • By fwor 6th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 5,860 Posts
    • 3,918 Thanks
    fwor
    The letter with the PIN on it should have a section with the title "Changing your PIN" which, unsurprisingly, describes in detail how to change your PIN (using the card reader).
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 6th Sep 17, 10:43 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    soulsaver
    The letter with the PIN on it should have a section with the title "Changing your PIN" which, unsurprisingly, describes in detail how to change your PIN (using the card reader).
    Originally posted by fwor
    Mine doesn't.
    It has a section on it headed Change Your Pin...
    where it says, "You can change your pin through any Ulster Bank, RBS or NatWest ATM"

Perhaps you'd be good enough to look at yours, then and post up the process?
    Last edited by soulsaver; 06-09-2017 at 10:45 PM.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 6th Sep 17, 11:33 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    RG2015
    Mine doesn't.
    It has a section on it headed Change Your Pin...
    where it says, "You can change your pin through any Ulster Bank, RBS or NatWest ATM"

Perhaps you'd be good enough to look at yours, then and post up the process?
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    It sounds like this option is only available for the anytime card and not the debit card. I have my PIN and the letter says that the reader will give me an option to change the PIN.

When I receive my card I will post here again.
    • fwor
    • By fwor 6th Sep 17, 11:57 PM
    • 5,860 Posts
    • 3,918 Thanks
    fwor
    From what RG2015 says, it may only be an option with the Anytime card, which is what I have.

You can try it though - put the card in the reader, select the Menu key on the card reader and select PIN Change.
    • miller
    • By miller 7th Sep 17, 9:17 AM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    miller
    AIUI "PIN Change" wont appear as an option, if the reader does not support it for the card inserted.

I assume with a debit card there is a database where the change needs to be broadcast to (hence the need to use an ATM), the anytime card is only used locally.
    • Tawny_Owl
    • By Tawny_Owl 7th Sep 17, 12:00 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Tawny_Owl
    PIN doesn't work
    This mob are a joke. Having waited 4 weeks for Card Reader then Card and today the pin I find that the pin does not work with the card reader. Have written to them to close account
    Originally posted by tobago22
    As soon as my PIN arrived, I tried to transfer some money out of Ulster Bank.

It led me to a screen which said I need to "Enable my card reader".

Placed the card in the reader, entered the PIN, then "Incorrect PIN" was displayed on the reader. What ???

Tried entering the PIN again, same error occurred. Only 3 attempts left.

Phoned their call centre, they couldn't resolve it and told me to use the web chat service. To cut a long story short, they're going to send me a new card & PIN.

HOW COULD THIS ERROR HAPPEN ???
    I've NEVER experienced this before, and as a new customer I'm NOT IMPRESSED.

At the same time of opening this account, I opened an account with BANK OF CYPRUS. No problems with them, as long as you have a mobile phone they use One Time Access codes.

When eventually I get to access my money in Ulster Bank, I'm going to leave just £1 in it, then transfer the rest to Bank Of Cyprus.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 7th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    soulsaver
    I assume with a debit card there is a database where the change needs to be broadcast to (hence the need to use an ATM), the anytime card is only used locally.
    Originally posted by miller
    Yep - that would make sense, should have occurred to me, thnx.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 7th Sep 17, 12:35 PM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    soulsaver
    From what RG2015 says, it may only be an option with the Anytime card, which is what I have.

You can try it though - put the card in the reader, select the Menu key on the card reader and select PIN Change.
    Originally posted by fwor
    Y I had tried that (logical) but it just gives 'COUNTER:____' & Software identifier options.
    I'll just have to get of my Rs..
    Last edited by soulsaver; 07-09-2017 at 12:38 PM. Reason: cleaned up..:)
    • KingKenny
    • By KingKenny 9th Sep 17, 8:25 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    KingKenny
    I called up to try and withdraw money over the phone, the lady said I need to request an authorisation code.
    Called again, made a complaint. The complaints dept can do nothing.
    Now I am stuck. All my savings in this account, cannot take money out of it.
    Last edited by KingKenny; 09-09-2017 at 12:13 PM.
    • KingKenny
    • By KingKenny 9th Sep 17, 10:38 AM
    • 207 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    KingKenny
    Anyone know if you manage to get the app working. How long after do you have to wait to be able to make the £250 transfers. Is it instant once setup or do you have to activate something else. I need some money asap.
    Last edited by KingKenny; 09-09-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    • Marksfish
    • By Marksfish 9th Sep 17, 10:45 AM
    • 172 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Marksfish
    When I set the app up, it said 72 hours before a payee could be added.
    • organum
    • By organum 9th Sep 17, 10:48 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    organum
    I used the app immediately and found the limit of £250 which did work. This limit was fixed once I received the card reader and card.
    • KingKenny
    • By KingKenny 9th Sep 17, 12:12 PM
    • 207 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    KingKenny
    Got the app working.
    As i have just managed to create the pin and password.
    It says wait 72 hours until i can withdraw £250.
    What a palava.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,283Posts Today

6,499Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin