Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jmskippy
    • By jmskippy 22nd Jun 17, 10:23 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 2Thanks
    jmskippy
    Wife practising parking received PCN
    • 22nd Jun 17, 10:23 AM
    Wife practising parking received PCN 22nd Jun 17 at 10:23 AM
    I was giving a driving lesson and the driver needed practice with parking so late one Sunday afternoon we drove to the Hastingwood McDonalds so that they could practice parking and my little 2 year old boy could enjoy the soft play area inside McDonalds afterward while we had a snack.
    Much to out surprise we received a PCN from MET Parking for exceeding the parking time by 20+ mins. I could pay £50 within 14 days or it would become £100. You can clearly see the L signs on both the arriving and leaving photos. I appealed online to MET Parking explaining the situation and never received any feedback. Two months later I received a reminder saying that I now needed to pay £100. I emailed them saying that I had appealed and was waiting for feedback from them. I tried calling them, leaving messages, with no luck initially. I wrote a few emails and finally got a reply. They said that they had sent out a letter which declined my appeal. I wrote back saying that I never received the letter. Anyway, attempting to get this resolved I asked if I could still pay the £50 charge but have again not heard back. I would like to appeal to POPLA but the reminder letter states the POPLA is no longer available.

Any ideas about how to proceed?
    Last edited by jmskippy; 22-06-2017 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Personal details removed
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 22nd Jun 17, 10:56 AM
    • 15,486 Posts
    • 19,571 Thanks
    Redx
    • 22nd Jun 17, 10:56 AM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 10:56 AM
    complain by email to the BPA with copies of all paperwork and a timeline , plus copy in david dunford of the dvla

also complain to MICKEY DEES and insist on a cancellation

in future, do not write or phone to EXPLAIN the situation, read and follow the advice in the NEWBIES sticky thread , near the top of this forum

blabbing about "what happened" can prove very costly , there is no reason to blab , its a simple "no comment - prove your case"
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • jmskippy
    • By jmskippy 22nd Jun 17, 11:14 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jmskippy
    • 22nd Jun 17, 11:14 AM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 11:14 AM
    Thanks.
    Who is MICKEY DEES? Does he work for the DVLA?
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 22nd Jun 17, 11:18 AM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 13,003 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 22nd Jun 17, 11:18 AM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 11:18 AM
    MacDonalds.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • jmskippy
    • By jmskippy 22nd Jun 17, 11:21 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jmskippy
    • 22nd Jun 17, 11:21 AM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 11:21 AM
    MacDonalds.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    Doh!
    Thanks

Einstein was referring to me
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 22nd Jun 17, 11:23 AM
    • 8,537 Posts
    • 13,003 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 22nd Jun 17, 11:23 AM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 11:23 AM
    Doh!
    Thanks

Einstein was referring to me
    Originally posted by jmskippy
    Don't worry! You are not alone! Good luck in getting it sorted and for your wife's driving test.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 22nd Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 2,324 Posts
    • 1,550 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 22nd Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    You don't say in the opening post whether you were in there for 20 minutes over the allowed time.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 22nd Jun 17, 10:29 PM
    • 49,944 Posts
    • 63,353 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 22nd Jun 17, 10:29 PM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 10:29 PM
    You don't say in the opening post whether you were in there for 20 minutes over the allowed time.
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Doesn't matter, easily beaten at POPLA.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 23rd Jun 17, 12:53 AM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 23rd Jun 17, 12:53 AM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 12:53 AM
    If someone arrived in a large car park, and spent 10 minutes finding a space, would they have to pay for the "looking" time ? Those where you buy a ticket as you park, presumably not ; those with ANPR, presumably so.

Probably best to not explain you were driving around ; they might say that was "misuse of the facility". You could say [ the unnamed driver ] was very bad at parking, and a perfectionist, so wasn't happy to leave the vehicle until they were certain it was exactly in the space.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 23rd Jun 17, 8:26 AM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    fisherjim
    If someone arrived in a large car park, and spent 10 minutes finding a space, would they have to pay for the "looking" time ? Those where you buy a ticket as you park, presumably not ; those with ANPR, presumably so.

Probably best to not explain you were driving around ; they might say that was "misuse of the facility". You could say [ the unnamed driver ] was very bad at parking, and a perfectionist, so wasn't happy to leave the vehicle until they were certain it was exactly in the space.
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    That's why "grace periods" are written into the COP, though the scummy PPC's still try to scam people by conveniently forgetting they exist!
    To quote the words of the great Count Arthur Strong "You Couldn't make it up"
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 25th Jun 17, 1:16 AM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    scummy PPC
    Grammar police reporting you for tautology.
    "scummy PPC" is like : "stripey zebra", "gold sovereign", or "smelly $h!t"
    • Johnersh
    • By Johnersh 25th Jun 17, 11:56 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    Johnersh
    If the land abuts a public highway (which it no doubt does) and the public are lawfully entitled to come onto the property to eat (which they are invited to do) then I see no issue here with the fact that Mrs L-Plates spent time driving around to her heart's content.

The contractual signage refers to parking. So long as no-one exited the vehicle and the wheels kept turning other than for short stopping periods, then the car never actually was parked for any period of longer than 20 minutes. Each time the car moved.

The ticket has been based on entrance/exiting but I bet the signage does not state the visitor is permitted only to enter onto the land for a period of 20 minutes. The fact is that the vehicle was likely as not in use and probably not even obstructing any parking bay for much of the time (you will need to be able to respond to this last point).

The Claimant parking company could prove otherwise with CCTV other than that at the entrance/exit barrier, but they are unlikely to go to the effort. I reckon this can be defeated based on the inadequacy of the signage and if you all prepare statements and are willing to attend a Court hearing.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 26th Jun 17, 10:36 PM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    The contractual signage refers to parking.
    Good point.
    Someone should add that to the list of standard defences. Where is the evidence that the vehicle was actually parked ?
    My record is the Monday before a Christmas Day on the Wednesday, when I was in a queue to get out of a supermarket car park for 90, yes ninety, minutes.

That need for continuous video, also covers the double-visit scenario, mentioned on another thread.

What if you get blocked in by someone ( who maybe works for the parking company ) ?
    • jmskippy
    • By jmskippy 13th Jul 17, 9:16 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    jmskippy
    I wrote to the specific McDonalds restaurant and they put me on to their restaurant group, Tony Fagg, who then told me that they would request MET to cancel my ticket, on this occasion, i just needed to wait for confirmation. During the waiting period I received a debt collection letter regarding the ticket but as soon as I received confirmation from the restaurant group I queried the debt collection and they told me to ignore it. So, I am now happy. Thanks to everyone for your messages. I hope this is the end of it.
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 13th Jul 17, 9:50 AM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 3,627 Thanks
    fisherjim
    You should ignore debt collectors full stop!
    To quote the words of the great Count Arthur Strong "You Couldn't make it up"
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 13th Jul 17, 9:58 AM
    • 5,631 Posts
    • 5,097 Thanks
    Herzlos
    You should consider making a claim to MET for misuse of your personal data (breach of the DPA) by using it to harass you for doing nothing wrong.

Will definitely cost them some money, and may get you about £250 to help you get over the hassle.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 13th Jul 17, 10:15 AM
    • 5,936 Posts
    • 7,639 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Just another case of the right hand (MET) not knowing what the
    left hand (debt collector) is doing

Crazzies not fit for purpose
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,299Posts Today

8,138Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin