Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 21st Jun 17, 5:17 PM
    • 128Posts
    • 42Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    0 WOW
    Ryanair sits hen party in FIFTEEN separate rows as outrage over seating policy grows
    • 21st Jun 17, 5:17 PM
    0 WOW
    Ryanair sits hen party in FIFTEEN separate rows as outrage over seating policy grows 21st Jun 17 at 5:17 PM
    A hen party has hit out at Ryanair's controversial 'random seat allocation' policy after the budget airline assigned each of the 15 passengers in the group a middle seat - and seated them in 15 separate rows.
    í 'Ryanair sits hen party in FIFTEEN separate rows as outrage over seating policy grows' '

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    [/CENTER]

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 15
    • agarnett
    • By agarnett 11th Jul 17, 1:13 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 534 Thanks
    agarnett
    Well rain stopped play again with hedgecutting and I am not going to contribute further to this thread because there is strong evidence someone is complaining about offence taken about every tiny thing and causing the forum team extra work. Perhaps someone is trying to get me banned more permanently.

So that's it on this thread I'm afraid. MSE readers loss, not mine.
    • masseyattack
    • By masseyattack 19th Jul 17, 11:24 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    masseyattack
    Not sure how they can deny they've not changed policy
    I'm flying with Ryanair in a few days and found that despite checking in the moment that free check-in opened (I literally had an alarm on my phone for this) I'm sat away from my partner. Most annoyingly there are free seats next to both of us. Disgusting tactic by Ryanair to force people to pay to sit together. Fair enough they can't guarantee that a party of 10+ might not sit together but for two people to be separated completely stinks.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 19th Jul 17, 11:26 AM
    • 17,349 Posts
    • 44,189 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'm flying with Ryanair in a few days and found that despite checking in the moment that free check-in opened (I literally had an alarm on my phone for this) I'm sat away from my partner. Most annoyingly there are free seats next to both of us. Disgusting tactic by Ryanair to force people to pay to sit together. Fair enough they can't guarantee that a party of 10+ might not sit together but for two people to be separated completely stinks.
    Originally posted by masseyattack
    How much would it cost to pay for 2 seats together?
    • Basildon
    • By Basildon 19th Jul 17, 11:47 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Basildon
    Crafty
    There may also be another reason for the centre seats in row.
    I tried to book a return flight but only paying for seats on the way back but taking pot luck on the way out but couldn't.
    I had the choice of paying both ways or not paying both ways so made 2 separate bookings to get around this
    • SaveTheEuro
    • By SaveTheEuro 19th Jul 17, 2:57 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 413 Thanks
    SaveTheEuro
    And finally, Ryanair admits what what we all knew, it has changed the seating algorithms.

http://www.thejournal.ie/ryanair-oleary-seating-complaints-3503581-Jul2017/
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 20th Jul 17, 6:16 AM
    • 5,619 Posts
    • 3,598 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    reasonable and logical explanation IMO
    Have we changed our policy? No! But the algorithms that allocate are changing on a daily basis and will continue to change because they are driven by demand. We now have more than 50% of our customers paying for reserve seats.
    They overwhelmingly select the window and the aisle seat which means, yes, if you want a random seat itís far more likely to be in the centre.
    • antenna
    • By antenna 20th Jul 17, 6:21 AM
    • 1,609 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    antenna
    I would like to know the percentage of single passengers as opposed to 2 people flying together.
    Political?....I dont do Political....well,not much!
    • buffycam
    • By buffycam 20th Jul 17, 10:18 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    buffycam
    Best seats for free!
    I'm flying to Berlin with my partner tomorrow and we decided not to pay for specific seats. Ryanair's "random" allocation has just given me a front row seat and put him in the emergency exit rows.... fifteen rows apart and in the middle seat, obviously. This is despite there being a few pairs of seats and loads of window and aisle seats free. Funny thing is, if we'd wanted to actually book these premium, extra leg room seats, we would have had to pay a total of £30
    • antenna
    • By antenna 20th Jul 17, 10:27 AM
    • 1,609 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    antenna
    You are in the perfect position to offer to swap a seat to get what you want.
    • buffycam
    • By buffycam 20th Jul 17, 10:32 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    buffycam
    Interestingly, although I chose not to pay for a specific seat allocation on the way out to Berlin this weekend (and got extra leg room seats for free, interestingly the only unallocated middle seats left - see my other post), I do still have the option to pay on the way back.......
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 20th Jul 17, 7:42 PM
    • 6,833 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    buglawton
    I would like to know the percentage of single passengers as opposed to 2 people flying together.
    Originally posted by antenna
    Very large, the flights are often nearly full of Eastern and Southern European workers on a trip between homestead and UK work location.
    • Jonmenzies
    • By Jonmenzies 23rd Jul 17, 12:17 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jonmenzies
    I just wish people would stop saying pay up or shut up. I don't get this.
    • antenna
    • By antenna 23rd Jul 17, 6:17 AM
    • 1,609 Posts
    • 959 Thanks
    antenna
    Very large, the flights are often nearly full of Eastern and Southern European workers on a trip between homestead and UK work location.
    Originally posted by buglawton
    Flying to Malaga and Alicante........?
    • Buzby
    • By Buzby 23rd Jul 17, 8:07 AM
    • 8,068 Posts
    • 2,959 Thanks
    Buzby
    I always wait until the plane doors close, and then we suit ourselves.....
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 23rd Jul 17, 9:18 PM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 1,772 Thanks
    jpsartre
    I just wish people would stop saying pay up or shut up. I don't get this.
    Originally posted by Jonmenzies
    Perhaps because you left out an option - pay up, shut up OR fly another airline.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 23rd Jul 17, 9:22 PM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 1,772 Thanks
    jpsartre
    reasonable and logical explanation IMO
    Originally posted by budgetflyer
    Except it's not true, the policy HAS changed. They used to seat families together if possible and the website even stated this, now they don't (and the website no longer states it).
    • tzimmerman
    • By tzimmerman 6th Aug 17, 12:49 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    tzimmerman
    2 bookings for our family . Within a few hours of free check in opening I checked in/looked at seat availability, for 3 of us. I was amazed to see that there were only 22 seats left, and there were not even 2 seats next to each other!. The cheapest seat to buy was £17, but still we would be unable to get even 2 of us sitting together. With a 14yr old, the emergency exit seats are not available, and it is wrong a 14yr old child has to sit away from parents, who would assist in an emergency!
    I then looked at the return flight, that was still over 4 weeks away. Even this far ahead, the only 3 seats together were £14 each, making a total of £42, which I cannot afford to pay. My son and his girlfriend had a similar problem, and were forced to pay £20 on the way out (but still not sit together) and £26 on the return.
    When randomly allocated seat allocation has only been open 2hrs. I donít understand how all middle seats had gone. This meant that even by paying, I could not get 2 seats together. I suspect they have provisionally allocated the middle seats to people who have not checked in yet. This means that they havenít actually been reserved/checked in, and so those seats should be available for me to buy (at a reasonable £2-4).
    By always allocating the middle seats, it means as availability runs low, even if you are prepared to pay to sit together, there arenít adjacent seats. (we had 22 seats available to buy, but none were next to each other.)

We have always accepted the late allocation, even if the family were split up (but usually at least in pairs, and at the same end of the plane).

Whilst I expect seats with extra legroom to cost a premium, I believe ALL other seats should be the same price (£2 per seat, per flight would be acceptable). However, to pay in increments up to £20, depending how close to the front/back you are is unacceptable. (many planes donít even have rear exiting on arrival)
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 6th Aug 17, 5:52 PM
    • 12,105 Posts
    • 10,049 Thanks
    zagfles
    2 bookings for our family . Within a few hours of free check in opening I checked in/looked at seat availability, for 3 of us. I was amazed to see that there were only 22 seats left, and there were not even 2 seats next to each other!. The cheapest seat to buy was £17, but still we would be unable to get even 2 of us sitting together.
    Originally posted by tzimmerman
    We found similar. People keep banging on about it only being £2 but we didn't see any at that price.
    With a 14yr old, the emergency exit seats are not available, and it is wrong a 14yr old child has to sit away from parents, who would assist in an emergency!
    I wouldn't worry about a 14 year old - unless they have some mental or physical disability they should be just as capable of reacting appropriately in an emergency, in fact they'd probably be the first off the plane! I'd worry more about old/infirm people.
    I then looked at the return flight, that was still over 4 weeks away. Even this far ahead, the only 3 seats together were £14 each, making a total of £42, which I cannot afford to pay. My son and his girlfriend had a similar problem, and were forced to pay £20 on the way out (but still not sit together) and £26 on the return.
    When randomly allocated seat allocation has only been open 2hrs. I donít understand how all middle seats had gone. This meant that even by paying, I could not get 2 seats together. I suspect they have provisionally allocated the middle seats to people who have not checked in yet. This means that they havenít actually been reserved/checked in, and so those seats should be available for me to buy (at a reasonable £2-4).
    By always allocating the middle seats, it means as availability runs low, even if you are prepared to pay to sit together, there arenít adjacent seats. (we had 22 seats available to buy, but none were next to each other.)

We have always accepted the late allocation, even if the family were split up (but usually at least in pairs, and at the same end of the plane).

Whilst I expect seats with extra legroom to cost a premium, I believe ALL other seats should be the same price (£2 per seat, per flight would be acceptable). However, to pay in increments up to £20, depending how close to the front/back you are is unacceptable. (many planes donít even have rear exiting on arrival)
    Once you get them auto-allocated you can then move them around, so for instance if you get auto allocated middle seats you might find you can move one to a seat next to the other, so you only pay for one seat alloaction rather than 2 and get seated together.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 6th Aug 17, 11:31 PM
    • 6,833 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    buglawton
    Yes this is Ryanair's weirdest yet attempt to gouge. Or if you prefer, to misrepresent the true price of a service upfront. Gonna backfire big-time.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 9th Aug 17, 8:58 PM
    • 2,642 Posts
    • 1,772 Thanks
    jpsartre
    People keep banging on about it only being £2 but we didn't see any at that price.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    Most routes start at £2 per seat, others are more.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,844Posts Today

7,296Users online

Martin's Twitter