Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tae117
    • By tae117 20th Jun 17, 6:39 PM
    • 15Posts
    • 10Thanks
    tae117
    UCKPS fined me for not having a permit in my own bay
    • 20th Jun 17, 6:39 PM
    UCKPS fined me for not having a permit in my own bay 20th Jun 17 at 6:39 PM
    Hi all,

Gonna preface this by saying I have read the noobies thread and the relevant threads I could find with cases similar to mine. In August 2016 I moved into this new flat that came with a parking space. The parking space was not mentioned in the lease and the only thing it says is "any disputes are between parking company and tenant blah blah". I only received a remote control to open the garage door to the parking area and my letting agency made no mention of any permit that I would need to park. I did notice the sign by UKCPS saying "residents parking only with a valid permit" a few weeks ago but I ignored it thinking it was just to scare people from using the place when they are not supposed to (forgive me but I'm new to this country and I never could have imagined this would be a thing...)

Anyways last night I got a PCN by them (which btw doesnt even have a tick in any of the boxes for the reason why I was fined). This is what I have done so far:

1. Called my letting agency and ask them how this has happened. The lady I usually call said that she wasn't aware of any permit system and I should apply for it. So I told her that she was the one who gave me the garage key and didn't mention anything about permits and she should find out for me how to apply for one so it doesn't happen again. They refuse to deal with the parking company saying that any dispute is between me and the parking company.

2. Called my building management company (RMG) and politely asked them to ask UKCPS to remove this charge as I am entitled to that parking space and I wasn't told about any permits. They refused to deal with me.

3. Called UKCPS. The nice lady hung up on me .

4. Checked out all the newbie thread etc

So...

What I wanna ask is what is the best action to take?

1. Should I complain to my letting agency and ask them to pay the fine or deal with RMG/UKCPS and get the ticket cancelled as its their fault for not giving me a permit? I know that they will try to weasel out of this one so can I threaten them with some independent trade body complaint? Would it be even correct to complain to the trade bodies regarding this?

2. Do the whole appeals process outlined in the newbie thread? The problem is that I'm away from the 14th of July to the 14th of August as I'm on holiday abroad so I'm not sure if ill be able to keep doing the letters back and forth business. I'm worried about missing key deadlines.

3. Ignore them and hopefully no court letter will arrive... I am moving to a new flat in August so I'm not sure if I'll be even able to collect the letters from this old flat.

Sorry for such a long post but I hope that you guys will be able to help me out here....

EDIT - Sorry just noticed the typo in the title.. UKCPS not UCKPS....
    Last edited by tae117; 20-06-2017 at 6:41 PM. Reason: noticed the typo in the title
Page 2
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 29th Jun 17, 11:43 PM
    • 50,050 Posts
    • 63,451 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    It's never too late for them to cancel it (they can tell UKCPS to ''do one'', whenever they want, and some landowners have done months down the line!) but I know some UKCPS contracts only allow early cancellation for a tenner in the first fortnight. After that the landowner might say 'can't do it', even though they still can, but it involves them paying the scumbags off for more dosh.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• tae117
    • By tae117 16th Sep 17, 4:18 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    tae117
    Extremely sorry for the super late response but I have the final update on this situation

I wrote to my letting agency telling them that they are responsible as they issued me the garage key fob without the necessary permit to go with it blah blah so the manager spoke to RMG (the building management) who then spoke to UKCPS and asked them to cancel that fine.

But the story wasn't over as UKCPS wouldn't actually refund my money that I had already paid, giving up. Luckily I had paid through Paypal and I spoke with them and explained how the ticket had been cancelled. Paypal opened a dispute and I won the dispute as UKCPS didn't even bother fighting it. They ran out of time to respond to Paypal and I got a refund for my money.

Thanks for everyone who responded to my original post. I'm glad that UKCPS didn't win in this situation.
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 16th Sep 17, 4:21 PM
    • 5,958 Posts
    • 7,676 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Extremely sorry for the super late response but I have the final update on this situation

I wrote to my letting agency telling them that they are responsible as they issued me the garage key fob without the necessary permit to go with it blah blah so the manager spoke to RMG (the building management) who then spoke to UKCPS and asked them to cancel that fine.

But the story wasn't over as UKCPS wouldn't actually refund my money that I had already paid, giving up. Luckily I had paid through Paypal and I spoke with them and explained how the ticket had been cancelled. Paypal opened a dispute and I won the dispute as UKCPS didn't even bother fighting it. They ran out of time to respond to Paypal and I got a refund for my money.

Thanks for everyone who responded to my original post. I'm glad that UKCPS didn't win in this situation.
    Originally posted by tae117
    Well done, that is so funny, just goes to show that with
    all the UKCPS bluster, they really are a pretty hopeless company
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • tae117
    • By tae117 16th Sep 17, 4:32 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    tae117
    Paypal disputes must be opened within 180 days of the payment so I'm wondering if these companies really are this incompetent, can we use this as a last resort to not have pay?

What do the experienced users here think?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Sep 17, 4:56 PM
    • 50,050 Posts
    • 63,451 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Not sure what you mean about a 'last resort to not to have to pay'. You never had to pay. But I love the fact you paid by Paypal, that's a good tip because you had the right to reverse it with a dispute and Paypal were on your side.

What money had you paid though? Not the PCN?! A permit fee maybe?
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• Half_way
    • By Half_way 16th Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 3,772 Posts
    • 5,334 Thanks
    Half_way
    Have you resolved the situation so it wont happen again?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • tae117
    • By tae117 16th Sep 17, 6:37 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    tae117
    Unfortunately against this forum's advice I had paid the parking fees as I thought that I would lose more money in the time I would have to invest in doing the court stuff.

This situation was resolved when my letting agency sent me the permit to be displayed on the dashboard.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 16th Sep 17, 9:56 PM
    • 50,050 Posts
    • 63,451 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    OK, like we said, you never had to pay you know! Very glad you got it back.

Now this permit, make sure it is displayed in a way that can't be knocked by a scumbag parking employee, so it falls off the dashboard or windscreen. And never forget it when you might use a courtesy car, etc. NEVER let this happen.

And pray for your visitors...what a horrible situation to live with. Kick them out if you all can - seriously you DO NOT need a bunch of scammers operating a protection racket whereby they only get money from residents and visitors who slip up.

Why the heck did anyone agree to take on ex-clampers UKCPS, who make no money unless *somehow* a permit falls down? Honestly what is the matter with Managing Agents that they think this is a good idea?

It's about as stupid as streets of idiots who vote for Council permit schemes then wonder why in a CPZ, double yellow lines are painted down one side, all the white T bars become double yellows, no-one can now park outside their own dropped kerb, and their parking is halved overnight. People seem clueless about parking schemes. Luckily, in my area, where the Council would ram permit schemes down our throats if they could, *someone* stops the residents sleepwalking into that, thus far...

Anyway, I hate the thought of scammers in flat car parks even more. My DD has just moved into a flat, and she drives, so one of the first questions I had about the place was ''which scammer is in the car park?!'' Answer - none...phew!
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 16-09-2017 at 10:02 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,283Posts Today

6,499Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin