Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • valleyboy22
    • By valleyboy22 20th Jun 17, 12:17 PM
    • 231Posts
    • 13Thanks
    valleyboy22
    0 WOW
    Turkey Visa
    • 20th Jun 17, 12:17 PM
    0 WOW
    Turkey Visa 20th Jun 17 at 12:17 PM
    Hi,

We off to Turkey in august and need x4 visas.

Unfortunately they now operate in online applications only and are $20 US dollars each.

When if any time is best to purchase these because it now works out from £40 originally to £62 so far because of the exchange rate.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 20th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    • 31,947 Posts
    • 37,678 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 20th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    I wouldn't expect the exchange rate to improve in the next few weeks during the Brexit talks
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 20th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    • 4,950 Posts
    • 3,584 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 20th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    As Browntoa said, the exchange rate probably won't improve in the close future.

All you can really do is either bite the bullet and buy it or keep an eye on the rate and buy when you are happy with it.

There is no real way to predict when it will be any better either
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 20th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 4,829 Posts
    • 6,472 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 20th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    Make sure you get your visa using the official website...

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

One advantage with the e-visa is that you don't have to mess about in another queue when you arrive at the Turkish airport.

You could also multi-visit during the 6 months validity of the visa, and get better vfm.

Also, it's worth having a quick read of the FCO Travel advice website for Turkey...

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/turkey/entry-requirements
    Last edited by PompeyPete; 20-06-2017 at 1:27 PM.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 20th Jun 17, 1:53 PM
    • 7,308 Posts
    • 9,053 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 20th Jun 17, 1:53 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 1:53 PM
    Hi,

We off to Turkey in august and need x4 visas.

Unfortunately they now operate in online applications only and are $20 US dollars each.

When if any time is best to purchase these because it now works out from £40 originally to £62 so far because of the exchange rate.

Thanks
    Originally posted by valleyboy22
    It's a decade since $80 was £40.

Don't fanny about worrying about exchange rates. A 5% shift is around £3. And it can work both ways.

Get the documentation you need in good time. Use something like Halifax Clarity or Monzo to pay for it. And have a great holiday.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 20th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    • 4,829 Posts
    • 6,472 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 20th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    Don't be tempted into buying €uros....you'll always get better vfm buying and spending Turkish Lira.
    • valleyboy22
    • By valleyboy22 21st Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    valleyboy22
    • 21st Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    • 21st Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

Looks like we will have to bite the bullet and pay what it is. Why does anyone know they operate in US dollars then?
    We normally take sterling over there as we feel we get better deals when buying stuff.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 21st Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 4,829 Posts
    • 6,472 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 21st Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    • 21st Jun 17, 3:36 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

Looks like we will have to bite the bullet and pay what it is. Why does anyone know they operate in US dollars then?
    We normally take sterling over there as we feel we get better deals when buying stuff.
    Originally posted by valleyboy22
    It's US$ because visitors to Turkey come from all corners of the Globe.

Take £sterling.
    • valleyboy22
    • By valleyboy22 22nd Jun 17, 8:12 AM
    • 231 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    valleyboy22
    • 22nd Jun 17, 8:12 AM
    • 22nd Jun 17, 8:12 AM
    Think they would stick with Turkish lira then not US dollars. Must be laughing at the exchange rate and making alot of money doing it thus way.
    • Oman78
    • By Oman78 6th Dec 17, 11:17 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Oman78
    Hi ,
    I purchased 2 visa from Turkey visa office which disguises itself as a government website and charged me £50 admin fee on top of the visa fees . I complained to my bank and got admin refunded but Turkey visa office have proved the transaction was legitimate so I have now got to pay it back . I m now thinking of going to trading standards but not sure if they can help any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 6th Dec 17, 11:38 AM
    • 4,829 Posts
    • 6,472 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    If you'd looked at the FCO Travel Advice for Turkey website, the Entry Requirements page has the official link to click-on.

Never use commercial websites until you've checked the official government ones.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 6th Dec 17, 12:53 PM
    • 11,726 Posts
    • 7,942 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Hi ,
    I purchased 2 visa from Turkey visa office which disguises itself as a government website and charged me £50 admin fee on top of the visa fees . I complained to my bank and got admin refunded but Turkey visa office have proved the transaction was legitimate so I have now got to pay it back . I m now thinking of going to trading standards but not sure if they can help any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Oman78
    Trading Standards will give you advice... that is just about all that they do.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 6th Dec 17, 1:49 PM
    • 11,442 Posts
    • 7,715 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    I thought someone has resurrected this post in time for Christmas. Oh well.
    • littlereddevil
    • By littlereddevil 6th Dec 17, 2:21 PM
    • 4,697 Posts
    • 1,953 Thanks
    littlereddevil
    If you went through a site that charges £50 then that is what you have to pay
    travelover
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 6th Dec 17, 3:26 PM
    • 11,726 Posts
    • 7,942 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    If you went through a site that charges £50 then that is what you have to pay
    Originally posted by littlereddevil
    Remember the issue over fake EHIC sites and so forth... if the site pretends to be the official site so that the punter does not realise s/he is paying extra for the "service" that it offers then there is a decent chance of getting back the money.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 6th Dec 17, 4:25 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Similar in the USA in respect of popular tourist attractions - third parties run a website and charge a fee for the service - all they do is purchase tickets from the prime legitimate source (including government agencies) and resell them with "markup" commission.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 6th Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    • 7,936 Posts
    • 8,058 Thanks
    pogofish
    Hi ,
    I purchased 2 visa from Turkey visa office which disguises itself as a government website and charged me £50 admin fee on top of the visa fees .
    Originally posted by Oman78
    There are dedicated threads here that cover this scam completely. You should get you post moved there as it has nothing at all to do with the OP of this thread and you clearly agreed to not hijack threads as part of your signup!
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Dec 17, 8:16 AM
    • 4,829 Posts
    • 6,472 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Can't see a problem Pogo. The thread has the appropriate title, and Oman78 has had to search to find it.....so well done Oman78.
    • maman
    • By maman 7th Dec 17, 4:23 PM
    • 17,162 Posts
    • 102,615 Thanks
    maman
    There are dedicated threads here that cover this scam completely. You should get you post moved there as it has nothing at all to do with the OP of this thread and you clearly agreed to not hijack threads as part of your signup!
    Originally posted by pogofish

Whatever's wrong with posting about Turkish visas on a thread called Turkey Visa ??

I'm sorry to hear you got caught up in that 'fake' site oman but thank you for posting. Maybe it'll help people planning a visit to Turkey next summer (and if you aren't why ever not!!) not to fall into the same trap.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 7th Dec 17, 6:45 PM
    • 7,936 Posts
    • 8,058 Thanks
    pogofish
    Whatever's wrong with posting about Turkish visas on a thread called Turkey Visa ??
    Originally posted by maman
    Because its about a scam/impersonation site, not a Turkish Visa, which is pretty-much incidental to their problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

959Posts Today

5,754Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin