Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 20th Jun 17, 12:15 AM
    • 2,747Posts
    • 18,539Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner tonight?
    • 20th Jun 17, 12:15 AM
    What are you making for dinner tonight? 20th Jun 17 at 12:15 AM
    Am I imagining it?
    My post count has gone down significantly and this thread seems to have disappeared, is this a coincidence?

What's happened?
    Last edited by JIL; 20-06-2017 at 12:18 AM.
Page 80
    • JIL
    • By JIL 12th Oct 17, 11:08 PM
    • 2,747 Posts
    • 18,539 Thanks
    JIL
    I made summer in winter chicken, inspired to do so by this thread, the only change I made was to add some spinach. I had quorn sausages.
    Served with a root mash, steamed beans, broccoli and brussels, husband loved it.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 13th Oct 17, 8:34 AM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 33,002 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Date Night here tonight - i.e. hubby's in charge of food, a quick drink with friends, then whatever takes our fancy after that

Going to do a freezer 'audit' today to help run things down - want to save a few quid before Christmas, so using what I have in first
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

Sept GC £250/£0.00
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 13th Oct 17, 8:51 AM
    • 1,141 Posts
    • 5,927 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I'm still trying to run down the freezer as we are getting our new one delivered early next week.

Tonight will be chana with steamed cauli, carrots and broccoli. Garlic naan bread too.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • chocoholic_chick
    • By chocoholic_chick 13th Oct 17, 4:23 PM
    • 605 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    chocoholic_chick
    Tonight is Chicken and Chorizo jambalaya. I made some brownies on Wednesday and still have some left so might have those warmed with ice cream as a pudding.
    New House... New Mortgage! February 2017: £144,000
    Current Mortgage Balance: £137,804.34
    2017 OP's:£3,945
    October Grocery Challenge: £155.50/£300
    Total Debt £29,209 £0 Debt free 6/8/16
    • drinkupretty
    • By drinkupretty 13th Oct 17, 7:28 PM
    • 2,643 Posts
    • 6,620 Thanks
    drinkupretty
    Tofush and chips
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    • debtfreeforlife
    • By debtfreeforlife 13th Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    debtfreeforlife
    Weirdest meal ever, but it filled my criteria which was free on slimming world and using up leftovers - rice, cabbage, black beans and sweetcorn. Not even sure it counts as a meal to be honest! There was a far better plan in place until I realised that the curry sauce I thought I was defrosting was in fact a tomato soup which wasn't even nice on the day I cooked it.
    GC Oct 17: £137.65/£200
    2017 MFW #130 £6599.86/£250
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Oct 17, 7:45 PM
    • 18,006 Posts
    • 45,874 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Liver, bacon and tomato casserole with mash. All home cooked.
    Obviously I didn't cure the bacon.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Oct 17, 9:02 PM
    • 2,378 Posts
    • 15,768 Thanks
    caronc
    Cod cooked with butter, lemon & capers, mash, peas & spinach
    June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £107/£200
    • katkin
    • By katkin 13th Oct 17, 9:08 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 7,249 Thanks
    katkin
    Defrosted 2 chicken breasts bought from my butcher yesterday and they were pretty big. Their chickens are local and usually not "huge" as they are free range.

So instead of scoffing one each with spiced roasted veggies (i got a huge butternut squash and peppers too, having a bargain week with BIG veg!) in a tray bake I kept one over and used the same veggies to make up a jalfrezi type curry for tonight.

I'm not having much luck with my rice cooker, so instead I've just made a wee portion of basmati old skhool style in a pan, scorched a on its last legs tortilla on the hob as a pretend chapati

Plop of skyr with cucumber and the last of my coriander bunch (it was like a bridal bouquet) We just had a gorgeous homemade Indian style meal. Totally stuffed, it was lovely.

I'm pleased to be rolling over ingredients into different dinners and it's obviously helping to keeping costs down and using up the wee wimpers hanging around.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 14th Oct 17, 10:02 AM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 33,002 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    We off doing a Beer and Buses day here on the Isle of Wight - Vintage Buses take you to various pubs around the Island, most of which are offering discounts for the Weekend

http://iwbeerandbuses.co.uk/programme.php.

Friends are providing dinner, but most calories will be liquid based
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

Sept GC £250/£0.00
    • debtfreeforlife
    • By debtfreeforlife 14th Oct 17, 3:55 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    debtfreeforlife
    Tonight's dinner is a lentil and chopped tomato stew from a new cookery book - it's an Ethiopian recipe I haven't tried before. I don't have all the suggested spices so will do some googling to see what I can substitute - I have a pretty good spice store but this one wants 14 different ones! Also going to put some carrots in with it, I think, as I got some in the veg box this week.
    GC Oct 17: £137.65/£200
    2017 MFW #130 £6599.86/£250
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 14th Oct 17, 4:01 PM
    • 9,772 Posts
    • 105,245 Thanks
    LameWolf
    HM tomato soup, with HM bread.
    We were going to have this last night, but I wasn't feeling well enough to make the soup so Mr LW cobbled together veggie Sausage-Inna-Bun for us.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 14th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    • 7,675 Posts
    • 25,811 Thanks
    Primrose
    Tonight's dinner is a lentil and chopped tomato stew from a new cookery book - it's an Ethiopian recipe I haven't tried before.
    Originally posted by debtfreeforlife
    For some strange reason I,m really averse to cooking lentils and tomatoes together although I use them regularly separately. It seems to be something to do with my with my perception of not mixing things which seem acid and alkaline.
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 14th Oct 17, 5:50 PM
    • 4,053 Posts
    • 47,568 Thanks
    Jazee
    DH has maded moussaka. It's in the oven now, can't wait.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) October £650.24 Total £9650.24/£12000

• BOBS
    • By BOBS 14th Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 2,083 Thanks
    BOBS
    Promised kids chilli beef but the local butcher is moving and was closed. Went to the other 'posh' butcher and paid twice the price I normally do ! - definitely didnt taste twice as nice. Hopefully normal butcher will soon be open in his new premises where he promises lots of lovely new produce - hopefully not all at increased prices.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 14th Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    • 18,006 Posts
    • 45,874 Thanks
    Pollycat
    We off doing a Beer and Buses day here on the Isle of Wight - Vintage Buses take you to various pubs around the Island, most of which are offering discounts for the Weekend

http://iwbeerandbuses.co.uk/programme.php.

Friends are providing dinner, but most calories will be liquid based
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    WOW!
    That sounds a fab day out.

Had a great late afternoon out in the pub with very good friends.
    Dinner tonight is pasta in a Barilla pasta sauce with added red pepper & mushrooms & spicy chorizo
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 14th Oct 17, 7:27 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 3,925 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    We had lamb chops, mini rosemary and garlic roasties, broc, carrots, green beans, cauli and gravy. Too full for pud....
    • atolaas
    • By atolaas 14th Oct 17, 7:29 PM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 5,160 Thanks
    atolaas
    I have my main meal in the middle of the day so tonight I'm having some scrambled eggs and some smoked salmon that's about to go out of date nom nom nom
    SPC7 ~ Member#390 ~ £432.45 declared
    Re-joined SW 9 Feb 2015 1 stone lost so far

Her Serene Highness the Princess Atolaas of the Alphabetty Thread as appointed by Queen Upsidedown Bear
    • SallySunshine
    • By SallySunshine 14th Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 623 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    SallySunshine
    Made Jamie Oliver's sausage meatball tagliatelle carbonara.
    went a bit overboard with coating the sausage meatballs in freshly cracked black pepper as per recipe.
    Think i got carried away with my pestle and mortar.
    Opened window, had cooker extractor on full blast and nearly needed gas mask!
    Bit dubious about the egg, grated parmesan and parsley sauce bit but it was delicious and a nice change from tomato based sauce.
    Next time will make smaller meatballs, large marble size instead of golfballs, as I had to cut them in half to make sure they were cooked but nice to add a new recipe.
    After nearly 50 yrs of thinking what to have for supper, it can get a little wearing
    • katkin
    • By katkin 14th Oct 17, 8:29 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 7,249 Thanks
    katkin
    Pizza night here. I make the bases and hubby does the topping and bake, sliced to perfection and served from wooden boards. Think he fancies himself as a bit of a Jamie Oliver at that point

Living it up on Saturday night in jammies on the sofa with a new netflix series to watch
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,126Posts Today

8,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin