Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 20th Jun 17, 12:15 AM
    • 2,608Posts
    • 17,979Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner tonight?
    • 20th Jun 17, 12:15 AM
    What are you making for dinner tonight? 20th Jun 17 at 12:15 AM
    Am I imagining it?
    My post count has gone down significantly and this thread seems to have disappeared, is this a coincidence?

What's happened?
    Last edited by JIL; 20-06-2017 at 12:18 AM.
Page 22
    • Witless
    • By Witless 11th Jul 17, 11:07 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    Witless
    Well, it changed - as I suspected it might.

2 x Lidl Bakery Tomato & Chilli Foccacia - very moreish!
    (A new addition to the offerings, at 69p each very hard to turn down: and a lot more filling than £1.38 spent on a takeaway. )
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Jul 17, 7:06 AM
    • 16,976 Posts
    • 42,773 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Fish from the freezer - either in batter or breadcrumbs or 'lightly dusted' (whichever I find first) - home-made wedges and mushy peas. OH might demand beans and that's OK as he could have the other half of the tin with pie and mash that I've got planned for later and I could have the other half of the peas.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jul 17, 8:22 AM
    • 10,596 Posts
    • 147,538 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    I'm off in to the City on the bus this morning to get a couple of pairs of 'zip off at the knee' walking trousers and a swimsuit for our holiday so lunch will be easy, falafels, hummus, olives, vine tomatoes, fresh courgette batons (and bread for He Who Knows as well) and supper this evening will be out as we're using up a credit card at the pub we won in a quiz last year and having a meal out with my brother and my lovely sister in law, how good is that?
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 12th Jul 17, 8:32 AM
    • 556 Posts
    • 4,273 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    As it's a wet miserable day here I want something warming. I've got some mince out of the freezer and will make spaghetti and meatballs in some sort of a sauce. It will probably be something tomato based with chilli. I'll go through the fridge and see what veg is in there and needs using up and throw that in as well.

Pudding will be a scone or some biscuits.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 12th Jul 17, 8:37 AM
    • 6,576 Posts
    • 46,611 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Well, it changed - as I suspected it might.

2 x Lidl Bakery Tomato & Chilli Foccacia - very moreish!
    (A new addition to the offerings, at 69p each very hard to turn down: and a lot more filling than £1.38 spent on a takeaway. )
    Originally posted by Witless
    The goats cheese and pesto ones are good as well
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• MandM90
    • By MandM90 12th Jul 17, 9:20 AM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 5,704 Thanks
    MandM90
    Don't know what to make.

Have loads of spuds, mushrooms, red cabbage, onions, peas, veggie sausages.

I'm thinking of making mini thyme and garlic roasties, braised red cabbage, veggie sausages, and then frying onions and mushrooms and making a red wine gravy. So I guess a sort-of roast?

I'm flying to the US alone for ten days on Friday so tomorrow night needs to be a 'special' dinner. Loathe to get a takeaway...need to think of a vegan treat meal that DD will like. Hmmm...
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jul 17, 9:51 AM
    • 10,596 Posts
    • 147,538 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    German Red Cabbage and Apple with jacket potatoes and veggie sausages with onion gravy is a meal made in heaven (and if you're lucky your kitchen).

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • dangerbadger
    • By dangerbadger 12th Jul 17, 9:56 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    dangerbadger
    It's going to be soup and a cheese toastie here tonight. We always used to have soup and a sarnie one evening a week, but over the last few months it seems to have stopped happening, so I'm planning on bringing it back.
    • elf06
    • By elf06 12th Jul 17, 11:33 AM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 14,308 Thanks
    elf06
    Tonight is beef and broccoli for us. Done in the SC so I can get out in to garden seeing as it is FINALLY dry and sunny here!
    Emma

Aug GC - £1/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 0
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Jul 17, 11:52 AM
    • 16,976 Posts
    • 42,773 Thanks
    Pollycat
    German Red Cabbage and Apple with jacket potatoes and veggie sausages with onion gravy is a meal made in heaven (and if you're lucky your kitchen).
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    I adore red cabbage (I sometimes have it in my mashed potatoes, especially if I'm having sausages ) but Why? Oh Why? do all recipes have to include apple?

I'm one of those people who don't think sweet and savoury go together.
    Pork and apple sauce? No thanks.
    Turkey and cranberry sauce? I'll pass on that.
    Gammon & pineapple? Yuk
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 12th Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 3,658 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    We've had hm roasted tomato and red pepper soup for lunch, with wholemeal bread and some cheese. Tonight we're having chicken curry, which is currently simmering away in the SC, with rice - probably fruit salad to follow.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 12th Jul 17, 1:50 PM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 33,730 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Dinner tonight is Chicken Satay with Basmati Rice
    CURRENTLY READING THE LITTLE COFFEE SHOP IN KABUL - DEBORAH RODRIGUEZ
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £65
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £430/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 12th Jul 17, 1:51 PM
    • 10,596 Posts
    • 147,538 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    POLLYCAT you can leave the apple out and it still tastes wonderful, the red wine vinegar and onion cook down with the cabbage to a lovely rounded flavour if you add in caraway seeds and cook it long and slow for a few hours, it's even better the next day and a few subsequent days after that.....wonderful stuff!!!

• MsLdn
    • By MsLdn 12th Jul 17, 4:38 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    MsLdn
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker
    That is one of my *favourite* meals! Sometimes we have the braised red cabbage with mash, sometimes with jackets. It's good even without veggie sausages but best with

For dinner I'll either be making courgettes and parsley with rice (I know that sounds crap, but it's delicious actually, flavoured with garlic, paprika, flat leaf parsley and cumin) OR dahl and bengali-style green beans, again with rice.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 12th Jul 17, 7:26 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 10,241 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    Dinner tonight was cauliflower cheese, Cumberland sausages, Jersey Royals and frozen mixed veg.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 12th Jul 17, 7:38 PM
    • 2,127 Posts
    • 31,941 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Just a quick help yourself from the fridge tonight

One of our poor cats came in with a horrible bite on her face - one Emergency vets bill later, she is more comfortable and we CBA to eat properly - will be sitting with her tonight to make sure she's all okay on the mend
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

July GC £250/£0.00
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Jul 17, 7:49 PM
    • 16,976 Posts
    • 42,773 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Just a quick help yourself from the fridge tonight

One of our poor cats came in with a horrible bite on her face - one Emergency vets bill later, she is more comfortable and we CBA to eat properly - will be sitting with her tonight to make sure she's all okay on the mend
    Originally posted by Islandmaid
    Aw bless.
    Hope she's OK.

It's always a worry when they come home injured.
    My old boy was a nightmare for fighting.
    Alpha male farm kitten, never lost his feral tendencies.

He was also hit by a car but he survived that.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 13th Jul 17, 1:08 AM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 17,979 Thanks
    JIL
    We had Yorkshire puddings, best I have made in a longtime. I think because I made the batter the night before and left it in the fridge, with roast potatoes, ratatouille, cauliflower and broccoli cheese, gravy and the meat eaters had sausage, and chicken wrapped in bacon.
    I really enjoyed it and lots of bits used up from the fridge.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 13th Jul 17, 7:01 AM
    • 10,596 Posts
    • 147,538 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    Lunch for me today will be chicken and salad and for He Who Knows ham, salami and salad and supper tonight will be the rest of the chilli mole I made earlier this week on a jacket potato with steamed broccoli and carrots then a 99 calorie yoghurt and a cup of black coffee to finish.

• Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Jul 17, 7:36 AM
    • 16,976 Posts
    • 42,773 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Fish from the freezer - either in batter or breadcrumbs or 'lightly dusted' (whichever I find first) - home-made wedges and mushy peas. OH might demand beans and that's OK as he could have the other half of the tin with pie and mash that I've got planned for later and I could have the other half of the peas.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I had a change of mind yesterday and did bangers and mash so this ^^^^ is for today.

Had 90% pork sausage from Iceland but found the skins quite tough.
    Lidl seemed the same when we tried them so I may go back to my original brand.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,398Posts Today

7,791Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin