Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 20th Jun 17, 12:15 AM
    • 2,608Posts
    • 17,981Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner tonight?
    • 20th Jun 17, 12:15 AM
    What are you making for dinner tonight? 20th Jun 17 at 12:15 AM
    Am I imagining it?
    My post count has gone down significantly and this thread seems to have disappeared, is this a coincidence?

What's happened?
    Last edited by JIL; 20-06-2017 at 12:18 AM.
Page 20
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th Jul 17, 11:16 PM
    • 6,576 Posts
    • 46,611 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Yeah, it wasn't what I especially wanted, but due to a combination of very little money and poor planning, there really was no other choice tonight. Luckily it was just leftovers, so took just minutes to microwave as I'm not sure I could have coped if the oven had had to be on!
    Originally posted by dangerbadger
    I cooked a beef and Guinness casserole last week, it's all portioned in the feeezer - thankfully I was able to stay out of the kitchen while the oven was on. Still, will enjoy it when the weather cools and we're all grumbling about that.

Actually I have no idea about dinner tomorrow, OH is just too hot to want anything really, neighbours had a BBQ today so now i REALLY REALLY REALLY want a burger
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jul 17, 12:05 AM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 17,981 Thanks
    JIL
    I really wanted some roast potatoes, parsnips and veg with a Yorkshire pudding and gravy but it is far too hot.

So we had a quick tapas meal. Oven on for 25 mins. I made Spanish omlette, garlic prawns, padron peppers, alioli, bread, olives, manchego, chorizo, more garden lettuce, Spanish meatballs from freezer and a vege rice.

Strawberries and cream courtesy of tcb for afters.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Jul 17, 7:59 AM
    • 10,602 Posts
    • 147,594 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    It's still hot here and we're expecting thunderstorms through the day. He Who Knows is off fishing early to make the most of the day and has a packed lunch so I will have just a bowl of soup for my lunch, it's really too uncomfortable to want to eat much.

I'll make a chilli mole for our suppers for the next couple of days, I have a really tasty vegan recipe that just gets better as it gets older and I'll serve it with some tortilla chips and a home made tomato salsa, I might make cashew soured cream to go with it too and it will be a light but nourishing meal. A fat free yoghurt for pudding if it's wanted and a cup of black coffee to finish with.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • C J
    • By C J 10th Jul 17, 8:23 AM
    • 847 Posts
    • 5,004 Thanks
    C J
    I bought a large pack of 'wonky' mushrooms over the weekend from Aldi for £1.30 and they've provided several very economical meals. We've had saut!ed mushrooms with yesterday's cooked breakfast, a lovely mushroom stir fry using homegrown beansprouts and pak choi from the garden, and a really delicious mushroom stroganoff last night - and I still have a bowl full of mushrooms left to use for tomorrow's supper (diced courgettes, garlic and spinach all from the garden,saut!ed with the mushrooms and mixed with a little cooked penne pasta in a cheese sauce and oven baked - it's delish!)
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Jul 17, 8:54 AM
    • 59,135 Posts
    • 345,266 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    SCORCHIO here yesterday.
    SCORCHIO here today.

I've just rushed out to get a loaf of bread - it'll be sandwiches here today, tomato, tomato/cheese, egg/tomato,cheese/pickle .... I'll make a batch and box them up in the fridge to be grabbed when I fancy a nibble without the slightest hint of prep/cooking.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 10th Jul 17, 10:44 AM
    • 558 Posts
    • 4,291 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I fancied trying something different today and went for a wander around the supermarket earlier and picked up a chicken and chorizo paella. It's not something that I would make for myself and when I saw it I just fancied it. Hopefully I will enjoy it

I shall just make myself a tuna mayo sandwich for lunch.

There are some strawberries that need using up today so they will be pudding.
    • dangerbadger
    • By dangerbadger 10th Jul 17, 11:34 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    dangerbadger
    It'll be a cottage pie type of affair here. I've just thrown some mince in the slow cooker with various veggies that were looking pretty ropey and a can of baked beans to pad it out a bit more. There's mash in the freezer, so I'll defrost that and chuck it on top of the mice mix later. We'll have it with cabbage and sweetcorn.
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 10th Jul 17, 11:42 AM
    • 1,249 Posts
    • 5,704 Thanks
    MandM90
    Last night was pulled jackfruit in buns with HM coleslaw.

Lunch will be HM coleslaw, salad leaves, toms, cuc, red pepper hummus, olives and pickles.

Not sure about dinner. We're potentially visiting a friend in London tonight if he gets up to his Marylebone flat from his country house in time, which apparently is dependent on whether his wife needs their driver in the afternoon (how the other half lives!) If that's the case we will just mercilessly raid his kitchen. If not, it'll be spaghetti with HM pesto and peas, or jacket spuds in front of telly and I might treat my driver/PA* to a beer.

*that would be me.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Snorkypants
    • By Snorkypants 10th Jul 17, 12:46 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    Snorkypants
    Certainly do

Swedish Beetroot, Apple and onion Salad

Cooked beetroots, diced (as many as you like)
    A sweet eating apple or two cored and diced same size as the beetroot (leave the skin on)
    A good sized onion, red or white chopped as small as you can
    Soured cream/ light soured cream or half and half soured cream and Greek plain yoghurt/0%fat Greek plain yoghurt
    a couple of teaspoons of Dijon/wholegrain/Swedish mustard
    fresh or dried dill to taste
    sea salt and fresh ground black pepper

All together into a big bowl and mix until evenly distributed, test for seasoning and adjust to your liking.

If liked you could add a little white wine/cider vinegar or lemon juice and also a little sugar/stevia 'lightens' the taste but we like the original.

Put leftovers in a sealable jar and keep in the fridge, keeps for a good week and the dressing turns a beautiful rose pink as it matures!
    Originally posted by MrsLurcherwalker

Brilliant! Thank you!
    Emergency Fund Challenge Member #138 - £1000/£1000
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 10th Jul 17, 1:57 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 3,658 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Jacket potatoes for us tonight, filled with cheese, ham, mushrooms and onions, to be served with a salad and some hm coleslaw. Sugar free jelly for pud.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Jul 17, 3:58 PM
    • 16,980 Posts
    • 42,785 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Today will be home-made moussaka (I've been making this for over 40 years) with Greek salad.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    This ^^^^ take 2.

It's currently lashing it down here, very muggy though.
    I hope the rain will clear the air a bit.
    • Gintotmelinda
    • By Gintotmelinda 10th Jul 17, 4:00 PM
    • 821 Posts
    • 10,248 Thanks
    Gintotmelinda
    DH and visiting DS are having turkey meatballs in sauce with pasta. I will have yesterday's leftover chilli with vegetables.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
    • gt568
    • By gt568 10th Jul 17, 4:15 PM
    • 1,532 Posts
    • 2,245 Thanks
    gt568
    Fried eggs and chorizo.
    Down with the signature fascists!!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Jul 17, 5:49 PM
    • 1,817 Posts
    • 12,320 Thanks
    caronc
    Veggie pasta
    Mar GC £131/£150, April GC £150/£160, May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £161/£170
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 10th Jul 17, 6:25 PM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 31,949 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Meat Free Monday here

HM Sweet Potato Falafel (patties) in Lettuce Wraps with Red Cabbage 'slaw and Greek Yoghurt

Still having probs getting the small pics - so apologies in advance, it must be something to do with the 'new' view in forum, never had an issue with pics in the old version I use

Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

July GC £250/£0.00
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Jul 17, 6:50 PM
    • 6,576 Posts
    • 46,611 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Pics are fine on my browser IM

Tonight OH had mushy peas on toast and I had the other half of the rumbledethumps and corned beef (bit overloaded with corned beef today as I also had it in a sarnie for lunch but trying to use up stuff OH won't eat while I'm away).

Burger in a bun I think tomorrow night with the last of the lettuce.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• loocyloo
    • By loocyloo 10th Jul 17, 10:04 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 1,417 Thanks
    loocyloo
    left over chilli with freshly cooked rice tonight - although we all ate at separate times, so DS only had rice ... as he couldn't find the huge tub marked CHILLI in the fridge ... it was right in front of his eyes , but he's a teenager, so i'll just be grateful he actually ate the rice and didn't resort to toast and cereal!
    • gonebust
    • By gonebust 10th Jul 17, 10:14 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 602 Thanks
    gonebust
    Sirloin steak, garlic mushrooms, roasted tomatoes peas and duchesse spuds

Lovely

Shared a steak and actually managed to cook to perfection considering I was still actually hanging lol
    • JIL
    • By JIL 10th Jul 17, 11:30 PM
    • 2,608 Posts
    • 17,981 Thanks
    JIL
    Just me,daughter and dog home tonight so we went for a walk and had tea in a village pub. Sitting in the sunshine eating a curry and nan bread. It was a very pleasant way to spend a Monday evening.
    • Witless
    • By Witless 11th Jul 17, 12:58 AM
    • 489 Posts
    • 1,816 Thanks
    Witless
    T'painter is coming 3/4 days early (weather forecast dictates indoor work so he's swapped me with an outdoor job) so this evening/night was clearing the living room (stripping stereo/tv etc) and sanding the banisters: the culinary consequence being my evening meal was a tomato sandwich & a Coke Zero.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,808Posts Today

7,342Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin