Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JIL
    • By JIL 20th Jun 17, 12:15 AM
    • 2,788Posts
    • 18,728Thanks
    JIL
    What are you making for dinner tonight?
    • 20th Jun 17, 12:15 AM
    What are you making for dinner tonight? 20th Jun 17 at 12:15 AM
    Am I imagining it?
    My post count has gone down significantly and this thread seems to have disappeared, is this a coincidence?

What's happened?
    Last edited by JIL; 20-06-2017 at 12:18 AM.
Page 109
    • just trying
    • By just trying 2nd Dec 17, 10:31 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 2,765 Thanks
    just trying
    Oh my slobby dinner compared to everyone else, sausages (good ones) in batter homemade, chips and mushy peas for who wanted. With southern fried gravy from a box.....or tomato ketchup up to them.

I liked it clean plates.
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE MEMBER 098
    WILL SAVE ATLEAST £500!.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 3rd Dec 17, 7:53 AM
    • 3,273 Posts
    • 6,870 Thanks
    jackyann
    I bless my small freezer! A couple of months ago I had a beautiful gammon joint all ready to cook for a family dinner when a minor domestic disaster put paid to it. Vac-packed in the freezer, it has lasted beautifully until today when they are all coming to enjoy it.
    Marinated celeriac 'steaks' for the veges - first time I have tried AnnaJones recipe, so fingers crossed!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 3rd Dec 17, 8:34 AM
    • 18,550 Posts
    • 47,768 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Corned beef hash last night was yummy.

Out all day today so will pick up a takeaway on our way home.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    The takeaway ^^^^ was a Chinese beef curry with egg fried rice from a place we'd not tried before. It was pretty good. OH said there was nobody in the shop when he was waiting but the phone was ringing non-stop.

Tonight is chicken breasts in a tomato based sauce with onions, mushrooms & courgette, new potatoes and green beans.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 3rd Dec 17, 8:38 AM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 34,136 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Pot roast here with a joint of brisket from freezer stash - down to the more expensive bits now, so need to make them pay their way, will have with Yorkshires and roasties = Roast celeriac for me

Jackieann I will look up your celeriac recipe, it’s one of my favourite veg - thank you

Haggis pushed to tomorrow as DS was making faces when I mentioned it - fussypants

Last nights Tagine was delicious, enough left for 2 portions, so have popped into freezer to have when it's just us 2
    Last edited by Islandmaid; 03-12-2017 at 8:42 AM.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

DECEMBER GC - not a bloomin clue - opting out of December as itís my 50th and i think once a half century itís okay not to mind - back in the saddle January
    • Jazee
    • By Jazee 3rd Dec 17, 9:25 AM
    • 4,090 Posts
    • 47,969 Thanks
    Jazee
    We're having a scallop salad at lunchtime as DH loves that. Main meal will be a bacon pasta to use up some stuff in the fridge.
    The "Save 12k in 2017" Thread! (#20) December £355 Total £12694.84/£12000

• VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 3rd Dec 17, 10:14 AM
    • 272 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    Roast pork joint with spuds and greens, just hope I remember to get Aunt Bessie's yorkies out of the freezer this time!
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Make £3 a Day in September 2017 - £29.31/£90 (2017 total - £164.27) | Womble #03 - £4.32 | Overpayments in 2017 - £1063.78
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 3rd Dec 17, 10:18 AM
    • 3,273 Posts
    • 6,870 Thanks
    jackyann
    Islandmaid - it was in the Guardian a month or so ago, so you should be able to see it online. If not, pm me.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 3rd Dec 17, 11:37 AM
    • 6,742 Posts
    • 47,395 Thanks
    kerri gt
    last night OH wanted his quorn cottage pie early so I didn't bother with the mash.
    I had a portion of frozen lamb casserole with green beans (on offer from lidl) and fried up a few sad looking mushrooms. It's was stewing lamb from Asda which I wouldn't buy again, very fatty and not much meat for the weight (most weight fat or bone)
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• dingdongsaving
    • By dingdongsaving 3rd Dec 17, 12:12 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 4,144 Thanks
    dingdongsaving
    Mrs LW - a quiche with that cream leaves me drooling!
    Hubby is off today!
    Pot of coffee with a satsuma & apple whilst waiting for ds & dh to make it downstairs.
    B/fast: Bacon medallions, sausages, poached eggs, grilled toms, mushrooms & toast.
    Lunch: Last of the egg mayo from yesterday or ham in sarnies. Dh came home from work yesterday with a huge bag of crisps too, so those on the side.
    Dinner: DS asked for chicken burgers, so I've made some with lots of thyme and oregano. Will be served in hm soft rolls with slices of tomato. Cheese for ds and dd who love it.
    Pud: Slow cooker rice pudding.
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 3rd Dec 17, 12:36 PM
    • 218 Posts
    • 4,161 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Got some nice fresh cod fillets on special offer in lidl this morning, so tonight's dinner will be pan fried breaded cod, baby spuds and mushy peas.
    • Cappella
    • By Cappella 3rd Dec 17, 1:43 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 5,189 Thanks
    Cappella
    HOme made meat loaf with potatoes, carrots, peas an sweet corn. Fruit if anyone wants a pudding.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 3rd Dec 17, 2:05 PM
    • 10,026 Posts
    • 107,708 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Mrs LW - a quiche with that cream leaves me drooling!
    Originally posted by dingdongsaving
    Unfortunately the cream lady wasn't at the farmers market after all so it'll be veggie toad-in-the-hole for tonight's dins. She doesn't do the January one, I know, so next opportunity for the quiche will be Feb (it's not the same made with SM cream).
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 3rd Dec 17, 6:06 PM
    • 2,765 Posts
    • 17,852 Thanks
    caronc
    Pork chop, mash, sprouts, mushrooms and mustard sauce
    August £108/£120, Sep GC £121/£120, Oct GC £141/£200, Nov £116/£120, Dec £46/£60
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 3rd Dec 17, 7:24 PM
    • 3,273 Posts
    • 6,870 Thanks
    jackyann
    Celeriac steak went down very well indeed! I suspect the trick is the initial cooking (I steamed it) and the marinade.
    • dingdongsaving
    • By dingdongsaving 3rd Dec 17, 8:29 PM
    • 373 Posts
    • 4,144 Thanks
    dingdongsaving
    Unfortunately the cream lady wasn't at the farmers market after all so it'll be veggie toad-in-the-hole for tonight's dins. She doesn't do the January one, I know, so next opportunity for the quiche will be Feb (it's not the same made with SM cream).
    Originally posted by LameWolf
    That still sounds tasty...& the quiche definitely worth the wait.
    • Tiglath
    • By Tiglath 3rd Dec 17, 8:39 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 11,372 Thanks
    Tiglath
    Just made spanakopita for the first time - it was marvellous! Can't believe I haven't made this before. Next time I'll add things like toasted pine nuts.
    "Those are synapses, electric impulses in the brain that carry all the messages. Somewhere in all that organic wiring, all those ripples of light, is you ó the thing that makes you unique and human." ~ Dr. Jenner, The Walking Dead
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 4th Dec 17, 6:42 AM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 34,136 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Haggis, Tatties and Neeps- celeriac mash for me..
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

DECEMBER GC - not a bloomin clue - opting out of December as itís my 50th and i think once a half century itís okay not to mind - back in the saddle January
    • Adrian Dorr
    • By Adrian Dorr 4th Dec 17, 6:54 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Adrian Dorr
    Curry style stew.
    Butternut squash, some other squash, leek, courgette, garlic bulb, spinach. All fried in olive oil and then boiled with coconut milk and water. Lots of spices.
    Will feed us for several days.
    And some homemade nan bread.
    • hatful-of-hollow
    • By hatful-of-hollow 4th Dec 17, 9:59 AM
    • 218 Posts
    • 4,161 Thanks
    hatful-of-hollow
    Lunch today will be hm carrot and coriander soup from the freezer, with bread and butter. Tonight we're having roast chicken, roast potatoes, hm stuffing balls, broccoli, green beans and gravy.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 4th Dec 17, 5:24 PM
    • 18,550 Posts
    • 47,768 Thanks
    Pollycat
    We're doing Gino tonight.

From his current series:
    fusilli with aubergines, courgettes, pancetta, pesto and mozzarella.

Recipe calls for a tin of cherry tomatoes but couldn't find one so I've faffed about de-skinning baby plum tomatoes.

Hope it's good.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

8,154Users online

Martin's Twitter