Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Eoghanj2009
    • By Eoghanj2009 19th Jun 17, 10:50 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Eoghanj2009
    Landlord selling/maintenance issues...now what
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:50 PM
    Landlord selling/maintenance issues...now what 19th Jun 17 at 10:50 PM
    Hi
    First time using this forum.
    I've lived in my rental property for 2.5 years with my 2 sons (aged 3 & 8)
    Since January the fridge which was in the property when I moved in has been bleeping every 2 seconds,it works but it can be heard through the entire house even with the kitchen door shut,Ive reported it on numerous occasions and also had an appliance engineer to look at it in hope of it being a quick fix,which turns out it wasn't going to be,so I bounced it to the landlord,and even offered to buy a new one,however asked for a paper trail to ensure I could take it with me should I chose to leave.

Basically every phone call to the letting agent has been ignored.

There has been numerous other issues which he's ignored from pretty much day one,so it's got to the point now where my dad does a lot of 'odd jobs' purely because I know the landlord will not get back to me and I'll be living without a flushing toilet or similar for months.

As of May he's put the wheels in motion to sell up,and I've had several estate agents round as well as people to photograph and now numerous prospective buyers traipsing through.

The times when they arrange appointments is always obscure such as late morning/early afternoon meaning any weekdays off work I've had to centre my day around ensuring I'm home,sometimes they don't even give me 24 hours notice so I'm having to drop plans to accomodate.

I'm not sure the estate agent has always been entirely transparent with potential buyers as several have been quite surprised I am a tenant,and they don't seem clued up whatsoever on what's staying in the house and what is mine (one prospective buyer even suggested that I leave my dining table to make it more rentable for them!!),I've had another trail mud through.

Anyway of course he's doing nothing about the beeping fridge now,not that he was in the first place,and to be honest I'm getting quite fed up of accommodating him,when 6 months of reporting a fault (which even potential buyers have commented on) is just being ignored.I imagine I'll be in breach of my tenancy agreement if I get rid of the fridge/freezer,and as a single parent now trying to scrape together the money for a deposit/fees on a new place I'm not in a position to buy a new fridge/freezer.

I've no idea what my position is with this (we've not been given notice to leave),I'm just so cross that he's effectively massively inconvienancing me both financially and physically (my time) yet still expects me to bend over backwards to meet his selling requirements.

Does anyone know my position or could offer any advise?
    Many thanks
Page 1
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 19th Jun 17, 10:58 PM
    • 3,817 Posts
    • 5,212 Thanks
    kinger101
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:58 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:58 PM
    You don't have to be in for the estate agent to do viewings. They have a key. Though I can understand why you might want to be present.

If you think their access is unreasonable, dictate to them what you will find acceptable, and tell them the lock will be changed if there are any transgressions from this.

There is no statutory right for them to enter your home, and any clauses within the contract would have to be deemed "fair". Turning up whenever they please isn't. You'll need to be assertive.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 20th Jun 17, 6:21 AM
    • 10,835 Posts
    • 14,971 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 20th Jun 17, 6:21 AM
    • 20th Jun 17, 6:21 AM
    This has all been asked and answered numerous times already on the forum.

Legally the landlord or an agent acting on his behalf is required to give you a minimum of 24 hours notice before entering your home. If you are not receiving 24 hours notice just say no. If you think they will enter your home regardless change the lock.

Your landlord selling the property will not end your tenancy. The new owner would just become your landlord and your current tenancy would continue. However, it is likely that your landlord will try to have his cake and eat it i.e. keep you as a tenant up to as close to exchange as possible.

As for the fridge, who does your tenancy agreement says is responsible for repairing the fridge? It could be you. I know you say you've made numerous phone calls to the letting agency but have you ever written (paper, ink, postage stamp) to the address for the serving of notices given in your tenancy agreement? If not why not?
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 20th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    • 41,090 Posts
    • 47,235 Thanks
    G_M
    • 20th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    • 20th Jun 17, 11:57 AM
    1) fridge & repairs: Read:
    * Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new protection (2015)

2) security of tenure: Are you in a fixed term contract (dates?) or periodic? Do you want to stay?

3) Viewings:
    * do you want to be present for them or not?
    * whan do you wat them to tak place or not take place?
    * how many/frequent are you prepared to put up with, if any?
    * Have you written to the landlord, copying the agent(s), specifying the above?
    have you considered changing the locks?
    • bugzie92
    • By bugzie92 20th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 2,485 Thanks
    bugzie92
    • 20th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    I wouldn't pay to replace a fridge, sounds like it has just got faulty with age. That's not your fault or responsibility.
    May total - £1435
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,180Posts Today

8,256Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iamemmahill: After watching @MartinSLewis I rang my provider & asked them to recalculate my bill &it has gone from £81 to £51 a month.S?

• Seriously? How is this supporting Uber... IT'S A POLL! I do em ever day on topical subjects. And I've never promote? https://t.co/JrlxaoNLlY

• RT @Mum2DDSophie: @MartinSLewis Thanks for your advice! I have easily switched from Extra Energy standard tariff to another supplier and wi?

• Follow Martin