Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • set
    • By set 19th Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    • 216Posts
    • 40Thanks
    set
    5% Deposit but Draft Contract says 10%
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    5% Deposit but Draft Contract says 10% 19th Jun 17 at 8:58 PM
    Hi

We received draft contact couple of days ago. On reading through things (for about the 3rd time) under DEPOSITS it's says that 10% will be required. We only have 5% as it's 95% mortgage. I have email solicitor but sat here worrying about it so came here for advice. EDIT: we are in rented and no home to sell.

Can you help with these questions please?

Will 5% be OK or does it have to be 10%?

We could get to 10% but this money has been saved for some furniture, moving costs etc. So if we did have to pay 10% would we still get the 95% mortgage, if so that would mean only 90% of mortgage needed would our solicitor give us the 5% back?

I hope that makes sense

Thanks
    Last edited by set; 19-06-2017 at 9:07 PM.
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 19th Jun 17, 10:25 PM
    • 40,202 Posts
    • 45,968 Thanks
    G_M
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:25 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:25 PM
    The deposit you pay on Exchange of Contracts is normally 10%.

Note that this is NOT the same as the money you are putting towards the purchase (ie the purchase price less mortgage) which is confusingly and misleadingly also often called a 'deposit'.

Even if you were getting a 50% mortgage (and putting in 50% yourself - stupidly called a 50% 'deposit'), you would still only pay 10% on Exchange of Contracts.

The remaining 90% is paid on Completion.

In your case there are 2 options:

1) negotiate a reduced deposit (of 5%). Your solicitor will ask the other side. The seller might agree, or might not.

2) Use your furniture money, removals costs etc, or borrow the extra cash for a week or 2, and pay 10% at Exchange.

A week or 2 later, at Completion, you'll receive your (95%) mortgage funds, of which 90% will go to the seller as the outstanding balance and the remaining 5% will come to you (to pay for furniture, removals,loan etc).
    • set
    • By set 19th Jun 17, 10:34 PM
    • 216 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    set
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:34 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:34 PM
    Thank you very much G_M I really appreciate that. Will ask for reduced deposit, hopefully seller will agree, if not we can pay the 10% and put the 5% towards furniture when mortgage released. We weren't going to buy furniture until we'd moved in anyway so that's not a problem

I really appreciate your reply, won't won't stay awake thinking about it now

Thank you
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,070Posts Today

7,361Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin