Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DKK
    • By DKK 19th Jun 17, 8:39 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    DKK
    Shower screen just caved in
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:39 PM
    Shower screen just caved in 19th Jun 17 at 8:39 PM
    Hello all and apologies in advance if I am in the wrong place.

I was quietly sitting downstairs this evening when I heard an almighty crash. On inspection, my shower screen has completely caved in. There is glass everywhere and someone could have been seriously hurt.

I am furious right now, not only because of what has happened, but because the entire bathroom suite has been nothing but trouble since we bought it 3 years ago.

I will be emailing the supplier directly, with photos. In the meantime, could anyone advise where else I could turn to for advice? I have no doubt the company involved will try to wriggle out of this, which I am determined not to let happen. As I say, someone could have been seriously hurt.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 19th Jun 17, 8:42 PM
    • 31,871 Posts
    • 37,593 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:42 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:42 PM
    Was it fitted by a professional or by you

If it was self fitted you are going to have trouble proving it was installed properly
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • DKK
    • By DKK 19th Jun 17, 8:46 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    DKK
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:46 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:46 PM
    Bought from a (supposedly) reputable company, fitted by a highly professional builder.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 19th Jun 17, 8:47 PM
    • 31,871 Posts
    • 37,593 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:47 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:47 PM
    Google the make of screen , see if anyone else has the same problem
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • DKK
    • By DKK 19th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    DKK
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    Thanks Browntoa, I'm doing that now.

I've never known such a thing to happen - incredibly dangerous! And has only been in use for 3 years.
    • George Michael
    • By George Michael 19th Jun 17, 9:01 PM
    • 2,886 Posts
    • 3,903 Thanks
    George Michael
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:01 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:01 PM
    Are you in one of the parts of the UK that has been extremely hot and sunny today? and if so, are there any south facing windows in the bathroom?
    If there was a scratch (and it doesn't need to be very big) on the screen then any thermal expansion could very easily cause the glass to shatter.

Even if this wasn't the cause, after 3 years from fitting and with the glass now shattered, you will have an almost impossible job of proving that the shattering wasn't caused by damage caused since the screen was installed.
    • naedanger
    • By naedanger 19th Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    • 2,191 Posts
    • 1,772 Thanks
    naedanger
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    Hello all and apologies in advance if I am in the wrong place.

I was quietly sitting downstairs this evening when I heard an almighty crash. On inspection, my shower screen has completely caved in. There is glass everywhere and someone could have been seriously hurt.

I am furious right now, not only because of what has happened, but because the entire bathroom suite has been nothing but trouble since we bought it 3 years ago.

I will be emailing the supplier directly, with photos. In the meantime, could anyone advise where else I could turn to for advice? I have no doubt the company involved will try to wriggle out of this, which I am determined not to let happen. As I say, someone could have been seriously hurt.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.
    Originally posted by DKK
    The following threads may be of some interest:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5464968

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1507193
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 19th Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    • 18,650 Posts
    • 15,552 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Bought from a (supposedly) reputable company, fitted by a highly professional builder.
    Originally posted by DKK
    Who purchased the screen, you or the 'highly professional builder'?
    • Mr.Generous
    • By Mr.Generous 19th Jun 17, 9:11 PM
    • 1,677 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    Mr.Generous
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:11 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:11 PM
    toughened glass, it goes with a pop and small pieces - that wouldn't seriously injure anyone - are the result. It breaks after an impact, and it can be some time after. All uk supplied toughened glass meets British Standards, It will have been toughened to the highest spec (class A) and every single batch has pieces tested when its made.

3 Years after it was purchased you will have an impossible job attempting to prove it was supplied faulty.

Sorry.
    • DKK
    • By DKK 19th Jun 17, 9:11 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    DKK
    Thanks George

Yes, am in sunny Essex. House temperature read 28.5C when I got home this evening.

Doing a search on Google - as Browntoa suggested - this point has come up.
    • DKK
    • By DKK 19th Jun 17, 9:15 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    DKK
    Thank you naedanger, wealdroam and Mr.Generous for your input.

I'm slowly coming round to the idea that I am going to get nowhere. My frustration stems from the fact that the entire suite has been awful from day one.
    • Alderbank
    • By Alderbank 19th Jun 17, 9:58 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Alderbank
    DKK, you repeat that someone could have been seriously hurt. Are you sure about that?

With the present state of technical knowledge it's not possible to guarantee that a shower screen will never shatter but it is possible to design it so that it will break into small smooth pieces which are reasonably safe.

If you can't tolerate that you might be better with a laminated screen, like a car windscreen. This is more expensive but the central lamination will keep the bits stuck together if it shatters.
    • DKK
    • By DKK 19th Jun 17, 10:21 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    DKK
    Alderbank - glass has landed on the top rail of the screen, 6ft high. Don't ask me how it managed to get there, but if I had been in the shower at the time it could have gone straight into my eye. A little dramatic-sounding, I know, but a distinct possibility.

Further, if I had been in there at the time I would have had no option but to walk over all the glass barefoot. Probably wouldn't kill me, I know, but wouldn't have been very pleasant either.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 20th Jun 17, 10:06 AM
    • 5,911 Posts
    • 34,978 Thanks
    Gers
    Alderbank - glass has landed on the top rail of the screen, 6ft high. Don't ask me how it managed to get there, but if I had been in the shower at the time it could have gone straight into my eye. A little dramatic-sounding, I know, but a distinct possibility.

Further, if I had been in there at the time I would have had no option but to walk over all the glass barefoot. Probably wouldn't kill me, I know, but wouldn't have been very pleasant either.
    Originally posted by DKK
    One of my shower doors shattered with me inside in many many years ago. Bathroom was internal so no sun on it. Luckily I had a towel which I could reach and got out without any injury and I was a right angles to it when it shattered.

It was self-fitted by my then OH. It wasn't the door which was used for access (sliding). My theory was that it was a cold day and there was a metal towel holder hanging over it - something to do with cold metal and hot water / air. Can't flesh the theory out!

We lived without the second door until we moved. Moved the remaining piece over to get access and then moved it back to keep the splashes in a the bit nearest the shower head.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 20th Jun 17, 10:55 AM
    • 10,231 Posts
    • 7,152 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Thanks Browntoa, I'm doing that now.

I've never known such a thing to happen - incredibly dangerous! And has only been in use for 3 years.
    Originally posted by DKK
    On the flip side you've had a good 3 years usage out of it and the onus will be on you to proof that a, it is inherently faulty and/or b, it was fitted incorrectly.
    • SurfDJ
    • By SurfDJ 20th Jun 17, 1:27 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    SurfDJ
    This happened to me while showering!! Cut the hell outta my leg as it was a two piece shower door and only the one attached to the wall shattered, leaving the other hanging one to land on my leg closest to the door. Was a really odd experience. At first I was shocked, then relieved to be alive still. Turned the shower off and went to dry myself but was covered in tiny pieces of glass which I could barely see; the towel just pushed them all into my skin as splinters. So obviously had to stop drying with the towel. At that point I realised my predicament; my legs we cut and wet and bleeding fast and not stopping as the wounds were wet. I couldn't get out of the bath let alone the bathroom as there was glass all over the bath and bathroom floor. Even if I could get out of the bath and out of the bathroom I'd have leaked blood all over the carpets outside. Ended up air drying until the wounds stopped bleeding then had to hover myself of all the glass bits. Freaked my right out. Still scared of showering a year later! At least that's my excuse ;-)
    Last edited by SurfDJ; 21-06-2017 at 10:25 PM. Reason: spelling/grammar
    • DKK
    • By DKK 22nd Jul 17, 5:09 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    DKK
    Just a quick note to say that the supplier has agreed to provide a full replacement shower enclosure at their expense.

When I came to cleaning up the mess I discovered large chunks of glass - the size of my hand - had remained intact, complete with jagged edges.

They initially offered a 10% discount on a replacement, but I mentioned the Sale of Goods Act and insisted the goods were not of "satisfactory quality". They responded immediately with the offer of a full replacement.

I must admit, I was as surprised as anyone!
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 23rd Jul 17, 11:01 AM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 1,114 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    They initially offered a 10% discount on a replacement, but I mentioned the Sale of Goods Act and insisted the goods were not of "satisfactory quality". They responded immediately with the offer of a full replacement.
    Originally posted by DKK
    Well done on getting a full replacement.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,737Posts Today

9,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @GabbyLogan: @MartinSLewis you are just brilliant. Love the format, great pairing with Angelica ????

• Hi folks. Thanks for watching.am shattered. Hope you enjoyed the show. Must admit can't remember any of it right no? https://t.co/zPn8xwVKqv

• Anthony here (Martin's tweet-double), signing off now. The next voice you hear will be Martin's. Thanks all and goodnight. #MartinLewis

• Follow Martin