Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Miss Cakey Bun
    • By Miss Cakey Bun 19th Jun 17, 8:13 PM
    • 163Posts
    • 154Thanks
    Miss Cakey Bun
    0 WOW
    2mths Australia 3mths USA Best way to take money?
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:13 PM
    0 WOW
    2mths Australia 3mths USA Best way to take money? 19th Jun 17 at 8:13 PM
    In November we are taking a very extended holiday to Australia and the USA. We will be away from the UK for 5 months in total, starting with a couple of months in Australia then moving on to nearly 3 months in the States.
    In Australia we will be doing some traveling around but will mostly be staying with family and friends, so the need to spend will be as if we were at home, weekly shopping, fuel etc etc
    In USA other than a few weeks with family we will be doing an extended road trip so will need to buy fuel very regularly eat out pay bills etc (accomodation is all booked and paid for )

I need some assistance working out the most cost effective way of accessing cash so paying for fuel, food etc. I have read the blurb on the Halifax card etc but have concerns about the possible issues withdrawing cash regularly from it. I'm wondering if a combination of a pre-paid card (post office travel fx type of thing) and a Halifax card would be the best bet. We have the money to pay the cards off each month in full and to top up the cards as required but just can't work out what's best

Have any others had a similar issue when travelling for extended periods?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions and if I've not given enough info please ask.

Thanks again
    Smile laugh love & live

Page 1
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 19th Jun 17, 8:22 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:22 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:22 PM
    Same old questions with the same old answers.

Two fee free CCs and a couple of cards from Monzo, Loot.io and Starling Bank
    • Miss Cakey Bun
    • By Miss Cakey Bun 19th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Miss Cakey Bun
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    Not sure if thanks are in order? I read through the last 2 months questions searched and have done external research before asking for advice from other who had done similar extended trips, and I get a sarcastic reply that tells me nothing? Do you have direct experience of extended use of pre-paid cards and the pitfalls?
    Smile laugh love & live

• DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 19th Jun 17, 8:48 PM
    • 30,290 Posts
    • 19,160 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:48 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:48 PM
    Halifax Clarity card is a card that's maybe a possibility if you get accepted.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 19th Jun 17, 9:14 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:14 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:14 PM
    Not sure if thanks are in order? I read through the last 2 months questions searched and have done external research before asking for advice from other who had done similar extended trips, and I get a sarcastic reply that tells me nothing? Do you have direct experience of extended use of pre-paid cards and the pitfalls?
    Originally posted by Miss Cakey Bun
    No thanks and you expect me to further answer your questions?
    What difference do you think that an extended trip makes as compared to a shorter trip?
    Everyone thinks that their question is different, but the answer is exactly the same....and I took the trouble of giving you my recommendation.
    Yet you claim that I told you nothing. Amazing.
    You don't need to thank me. No need to change direction now.
    • Miss Cakey Bun
    • By Miss Cakey Bun 19th Jun 17, 9:22 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Miss Cakey Bun
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:22 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:22 PM
    No thanks and you expect me to further answer your questions?
    What difference do you think that an extended trip makes as compared to a shorter trip?
    Everyone thinks that their question is different, but the answer is exactly the same.
    You don't need to thank me. No need to change direction now.
    Originally posted by WAYT
    I'm not expecting you specifically to answer my question no

There are significant differences to a 2 week holiday over 5 months when it comes to finance. From what I have read continued use of the credit card abroad can raise issues with credit ratings, investigation for money laundering and the cards usage t&c's. Not to mention I understand some People have had issues of problems with prepaid cards being topped up and usage being withheld due to 'irregular usage'
    We are lucky enough to travel quite a lot and have had smaller problems before hence me asking the whole forum for advice.

And I'm not sure about "change of direction" that you mention I was very open about the queries I had.

The information you provided is also no more than is provided on the travel money section so it's tho yes you provided it in your reply it's easily accessible on this very site

As I'm lead to understand if you have nothing nice or helpful to say....say nothing. Please feel free to totally ignore my question I won't be at all put out
    Last edited by Miss Cakey Bun; 19-06-2017 at 9:25 PM.
    Smile laugh love & live

• worried jim
    • By worried jim 19th Jun 17, 9:24 PM
    • 8,698 Posts
    • 13,276 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:24 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:24 PM
    I'm in the Mid East now and it's Monzo all the way. Simples.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 19th Jun 17, 9:29 PM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:29 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:29 PM
    I've used a combination of a Clarity card and prepaid cards abroad for many years without any problems but it is wise to have a selection to choose from to ensure that you are not stuck out there with no means of payment.

The brief advice that you got is very valid and that is what you should aim for.

I would apply for the Clarity card sooner rather than later in order to find out whether you can actually get one. The exchange rate is very good and you can go online to clear the balance on a regular basis should you wish. You need to inform them of your travel plans otherwise your card could be rejected. This is done online and you can keep updating it on your journey.

I also use a Monzo card for general payments and find it very good. They do however impose limitations to it's use by the amount that you can load and withdraw and also atm use. It is intended to be used in shops etc for general payments rather than cash withdrawals.

Here's a link to their terms and conditions.

https://monzo.com/terms/#charges

It's link to your mobile phone is very useful as you can monitor your use and also block your card should it be lost or cloned. The magnetic stripe is deactivated for security reasons but you can enable it on a temporary basis via your phone if required.

Also take a look at the Revolut card.

Hope this helps.
    • WAYT
    • By WAYT 19th Jun 17, 9:30 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 315 Thanks
    WAYT
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:30 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:30 PM
    I'm not expecting you specifically to answer my question no

There are significant differences to a 2 week holiday over 5 months when it comes to finance. From what I have read continued use of the credit card abroad can raise issues with credit ratings, investigation for money laundering and the cards usage t&c's. Not to mention I understand some People have had issues of problems with prepaid cards being topped up and usage being withheld due to 'irregular usage'
    We are lucky enough to travel quite a lot and have had smaller problems before hence me asking the whole forum for advice.

And I'm not sure about "change of direction" that you mention I was very open about the queries I had.

The information you provided is also no more than is provided on the travel money section so it's tho yes you provided it in your reply it's easily accessible on this very site

As I'm lead to understand if you have nothing nice or helpful to say....say nothing. Please feel free to totally ignore my question I won't be at all put out
    Originally posted by Miss Cakey Bun
    I hope that you get exactly what you deserve.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

148Posts Today

1,908Users online

Martin's Twitter