Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eeetee
    • By eeetee 19th Jun 17, 6:54 PM
    • 117Posts
    • 1,344Thanks
    eeetee
    Closing date in Scotland- before I put offer in
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:54 PM
    Closing date in Scotland- before I put offer in 19th Jun 17 at 6:54 PM
    Hi, been given the closing date of a property I am interested in, as this Friday. A couple of questions before I do so, as a First Time Buyer this is new to me..

A work colleague advised not to submit round number as my offer, is it worth doing this. Price I have is £105k, he suggested something like 105235.

For the date of entry, as I am currently renting I am flexible, can this be included with the offer, or do they always need a specific date? In flexible I mean I don't mind staying longer in my rented accom if seller needs to wait (just need to give 1 month notice to landlord but I'm fine if they cross over)

Would it be to my advantage at all not to request any movable items to be included, in reality I would replace the basics myself . I was advised to submit as 'clean' offer as possible which I assumed related to this.

I guess I am just trying to play the game to stand as good a chance of securing the property, so any advice at this point welcome!
Page 1
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 19th Jun 17, 6:56 PM
    • 1,865 Posts
    • 2,507 Thanks
    comeandgo
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:56 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:56 PM
    I agree with not presenting on a round number, but as to the other things,is your solicitor not guiding you?
    • sultanabran
    • By sultanabran 19th Jun 17, 7:41 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    sultanabran
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:41 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:41 PM
    You need to sell yourself to the seller in a sense. First time buyer, flexible on move in date, etc Just state anything about your position that puts you in a good light.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 19th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 18,543 Posts
    • 14,271 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    Agree with comeandgo that you should be guided by your solicitor, who should know the local market far better than you ever could (my own solicitor always advised me to make a non-round number offer).
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 19th Jun 17, 11:02 PM
    • 7,546 Posts
    • 8,029 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:02 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:02 PM
    You need to include a date of entry so that the vendor can make a conditional acceptance but you can make it clear through your solicitor that it's negotiatable.

Some sellers will want to include moveables as they may be getting new where they're going and don't want the hassle of clearing out the old. Apart from old (CRT) tellies almost everthing can be got rid of on Gumtree if they leave stuff you won't want. Be guided by the property particulars.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • rentmekid
    • By rentmekid 20th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    rentmekid
    • 20th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    • 20th Jun 17, 9:40 AM
    HI OP,

Do you guys work in a office?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 20th Jun 17, 10:01 AM
    • 15,459 Posts
    • 13,783 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 20th Jun 17, 10:01 AM
    • 20th Jun 17, 10:01 AM
    A work colleague advised not to submit round number as my offer, is it worth doing this. Price I have is £105k, he suggested something like 105235.
    Originally posted by eeetee
    Sounds like they're getting confused with online auctions, where price is the only buying factor that matters. No vendor is going to base their acceptance of an offer on a couple of hundred quid difference - other factors will be looked at.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 20th Jun 17, 10:16 AM
    • 3,866 Posts
    • 2,874 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 20th Jun 17, 10:16 AM
    • 20th Jun 17, 10:16 AM
    If it is going to a closing date that indicates there is a lot of interest in the property.

We have always been advised to make a non round number offer as most people use even amounts. Sellers usually go for the highest offer unless there are specific circumstances required. We discuss any preferred entry date when we view.

Entry date can be given as " xxx or to be mutually agreed." but your solicitor should advise you.

If moveable items were not included in the sales particulars then I would not ask for them. If the seller wanted to leave them they would have been included in the schedule information.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 20th Jun 17, 10:20 AM
    • 6,096 Posts
    • 5,843 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 20th Jun 17, 10:20 AM
    • 20th Jun 17, 10:20 AM
    Sounds like they're getting confused with online auctions, where price is the only buying factor that matters. No vendor is going to base their acceptance of an offer on a couple of hundred quid difference - other factors will be looked at.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    No, it is fairly routine advice for closing dates. Obviously there may be other factors, but if those appear roughly equal then the higher price is likely to be successful.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

154Posts Today

1,646Users online

Martin's Twitter