Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rollsafe
    • By rollsafe 19th Jun 17, 6:47 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    rollsafe
    PCN not appealed as it was supposed to be cancelled by customer services(but wasn't)
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:47 PM
    PCN not appealed as it was supposed to be cancelled by customer services(but wasn't) 19th Jun 17 at 6:47 PM
    Hi Guys

I am new here, I have read many of the sections but never contributed, but now I really need your help with this weird issue!

Having parked my car at the station car park operated by Indigo, the message I sent did not include the word 'park' and only the credit card 3 digit security code(I will use as e.g. 123) and letter D, indicating 1 day parking. I needed to park for 2 days so the next message I sent was sent properly saying 'park 123 D'.
    I received both confirmations, not having noticed that the first text, which would have read 123 D ( without the word park), actually changed my number plate registration on the pay by phone service to 123 D, from my usual number plate! This meant that from that moment on instead of receiving a confirmation for 'you can park 'xyz vvvv' for 1 day' , I received a confirmation which read ' You can park 123 D for 1 day'.
    As you can imagine I did not notice this difference, I saw a confirmation of a successful payment for both days, and that was it.
    I was confused when I got a PCN having come back that day.. I used the car park next day but did not receive PCN as I parked in the evening (they only check once a day), and after that I did not use that car park for almost a month.
    Meaning that I appealed like an honest idiot towards the end of the 28 day period, stating that I was the driver, and that Indigo's system in this case kind of screwed me over with the reg plate change, and that I paid and did not try to avoid paying (standard honest idiot appeal).
    Of course they didn't care, pcn remained, I applied to POPLA, Indigo gave their comments , now I will reply to them in a few days with my comments on their evidence. Hopefully, POPLA understand that typing your security code and symbol for 1 day's parking, should not change your registration number and charge you a day's parking for it, without appropriate parking codes. As when you register a new registration a code 'reg' has to come before it, which I did not use.

That however is not the main problem, the problem is that after not using the car park for a month, I parked there again, paid the same way (still not having realised the issue with the reg. number), basically, I got 4 PCNs in a short period of time, confused as hell, but confident that I am right since I paid, I rang up Indigo, trying to resolve the issue as to why I was getting these PCNs even though I paid, and that is when the customer service guy explained, that the registration number got changed. (at that point it made more sense why I got the PCNs, as the parking inspector could not locate my real number pate, but confused as hell as to WHY THEY CHANGED THE NUMBER PLATE TO THE 3 DIGIT SECURITY CODE AND THE LETTER D, and charged me )
    I explained that I did not do such thing, and did not realise that this happened, and actually this shouldn't have happened, instead, I should have received a reply saying that parking payment was unsuccessful or w.e. other replies you get when you send the wrong code ( in a case of a typo etc.) He checked the messages, saw that I paid for parking, changed my reg back to normal, and said that he would cancel the PCNs. Now all sounds too good to be true.
    Only then a month later 4 'Notices to Owner' came. The owner is, in fact, a relative and not me, so it was addressed to them. £100 charge, plus £24 admin fees on each of the letters.
    All of the notices were the first ones for each PCN,
    I guess I was a bit naive, or too happy at the time, but I forgot to ask the customer service person's name, which means that when I called them recently to check why the notices were sent, they said they can't verify anything unless I knew the name of the person.

So what I ended up with is, having not appealed And the PCNs are from way over a month ago, I somehow now need to obtain a POPLA code - any recommendations on what I can do there?
    But then If I do appeal, and I already in my first appeal suggested that I'm the driver, what can be done to the other 4, when it was caused by the same issue when I clearly was the driver?

I am waiting a few days to submit my supporting comments against INDIGO evidence in the POPLA case and I will hopefully soon know if they understand my issue. That a text that only has the credit card security code and D next to it should not for 1. change my reg number to the code, and for 2 charge for days parking on the 'new' plate which is my card code..

Also, even though the first PCN that I appealed, is in the process with POPLA, and I previously did not receive ANY 'notice to keeper' etc. the first letter I receive as regards to this is ZZPS letter for £170.
    Eeven though the appeal is still in process, and I have not received any letters regarding this PCN previously.
    I feel that this is something very dodgy on their side, is there anything I can do or complain to?

Basically I am in a bit of a pickle here, any help would be appreciated greatly.
    At times I feel a bit stupid for not dealing with it using a more smart approach, but then again I paid and didn't feel like I did anything wrong, simply because of their stupid text system changing my number plate to my security code.

Many thanks
    Last edited by rollsafe; 19-06-2017 at 7:06 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention!
Page 1
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Jun 17, 7:02 PM
    • 48,929 Posts
    • 62,419 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:02 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:02 PM
    I am waiting a few days to submit my supporting comments against INDIGO evidence in the POPLA case and I will hopefully soon know if they understand my issue.
    We hope you are pointing out that they have no case as the owner has not been divulged, and they cannot enforce byelaws?
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• rollsafe
    • By rollsafe 19th Jun 17, 7:08 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rollsafe
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:08 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:08 PM
    Thank you for your quick reply, I forgot to mention something very relevant to your reply.

'Also, even though the first PCN that I appealed, is in the process with POPLA, and I previously did not receive ANY 'notice to keeper' etc. the first letter I receive as regards to this is ZZPS letter for £170.
    Eeven though the appeal is still in process, and I have not received any letters regarding this PCN previously.
    I feel that this is something very dodgy on their side, is there anything I can do or complain to?'
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Jun 17, 7:28 PM
    • 48,929 Posts
    • 62,419 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:28 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:28 PM
    You can complain to the BPA, but they will probably fob you off and say their beloved fee-paying member cannot be held liable for letters going missing...
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• rollsafe
    • By rollsafe 19th Jun 17, 7:41 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    rollsafe
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:41 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:41 PM
    How could they have come up with a sum of £170? If the PCN was always in the appeal process, 28 days, then with Indigo, then still with POPLA?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 19th Jun 17, 7:45 PM
    • 48,929 Posts
    • 62,419 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:45 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:45 PM
    How could they have come up with a sum of £170?
    Originally posted by rollsafe
    Because the BPA let them, move the goalposts every few months and support the scumbags. Here is a typical answer from Haywards Heath's finest:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72575313#post72575313

The BPA used to listen to consumers sometimes, when Gemma D and Steve C used to reply. Now, no chance.

• Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 19th Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    • 14,034 Posts
    • 22,042 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    I have read many of the sections but never contributed,
    How could they have come up with a sum of £170?
    You've either not read enough, or you've read the wrong ones, to not realise this is the Wild West, a totally unregulated sector of Rip Off Britain, which is designed to remove the contents of your wallet for whatever amount they can get away with, by pressurising, harassing, threatening and intimidating you into meekly handing it over to them.

Fight or flight time.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,241Posts Today

7,049Users online

Martin's Twitter