Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Jun 17, 6:43 PM
    • 27,216Posts
    • 98,914Thanks
    Pyxis
    Does anyone remember airmail letters?
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:43 PM
    Does anyone remember airmail letters? 19th Jun 17 at 6:43 PM
    You know, the blue all-in-one flimsies that you wrote your letter on, in minute writing so that you could cram more news into the limited space.

Or have they gone the way of the old buffcoloured telegrams?

(I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, P.P..
    ¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
Page 1
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 19th Jun 17, 6:46 PM
    • 6,076 Posts
    • 5,462 Thanks
    Sleazy
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:46 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:46 PM
    Yes, I do remember - whether they've gone the same way as Telegrams I don't know. I still see Air Mail stickers sometimes, but haven't seen one of those letters for ages.
    • Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 19th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    • 13,395 Posts
    • 52,525 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:50 PM
    No you can still buy it Pyxis, don't think many bother with it now. I've got some but then I like traditional stuff and I still like sending old fashioned letters. When I was a kid I use to love the blue and striped envelopes, they were more special to receive than the white ones. With the price of postage now every bit helps if you have less weight but I guess such issues wouldn't bother many now when a quick email is free to send.
    “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Jun 17, 6:51 PM
    • 27,216 Posts
    • 98,914 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:51 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:51 PM
    Yes, I do remember - whether they've gone the same way as Telegrams I don't know. I still see Air Mail stickers sometimes, but haven't seen one of those letters for ages.
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    Yes the stickers are still around, for ordinary letters.

When I was a teenager, I had penfriends in the States, and the airmail letters were the cheapest way to write to them. An ordinary letter cost quite a bit, given that it had to come out of my meagre pocket money.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Jun 17, 6:53 PM
    • 27,216 Posts
    • 98,914 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:53 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:53 PM
    No you can still buy it Pyxis, don't think many bother with it now. I've got some but then I like traditional stuff and I still like sending old fashioned letters. When I was a kid I use to love the blue and striped envelopes, they were more special to receive than the white ones. With the price of postage now every bit helps if you have less weight but I guess such issues wouldn't bother many now when a quick email is free to send.
    Originally posted by Mrs Bones
    Really? You can still get them? From Post Offices I presume.

Oh well, this thread is dead, then!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 19th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 13,395 Posts
    • 52,525 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    You can still get them, not sure how many they sell though they do seem like they should belong in a bygone age. Oddly I've not seen any for sale at the post office, WH Smith sell them but they tend to be cheaper online from the likes of ebay. They don't even put the airmail stickers on normal envelopes posted airmail anymore as there is no need with the modern postage stickers as all the information is enclosed on them. The whole idea of airmail paper and envelope was the lighter weight to save on postage, I still take that into consideration give the cost of postage but I guess that's not a consideration for most anymore but then I'm also the geek who weights my letters to check.
    “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 19th Jun 17, 7:06 PM
    • 27,216 Posts
    • 98,914 Thanks
    Pyxis
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:06 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:06 PM
    They don't even put the airmail stickers on normal envelopes posted airmail anymore as there is no need with the modern postage stickers as all the information is enclosed on them. The whole idea of airmail paper and envelope was the lighter weight to save on postage, I still take that into consideration give the cost of postage but I guess that's not a consideration for most anymore but then I'm also the geek who weights my letters to check.
    Originally posted by Mrs Bones
    Crumbs yes! I always weigh mine! I'm shocked at how much postage has gone up. I send little gifts to some children abroad, and the postage cost is always far in excess of the cost of the gifts!

I am still given airmail stickers, as, for ordinary letters, birthday cards etc, I use ordinary stamps to the value of.

I hate going to the post office with packets and parcels because they always give you the Spanish Inquisition as to what is in the parcel/packet and how much is it worth.
    And then they glare at you accusingly.

I don't really want to tell the whole queue what I'm sending and how much it cost, thank you very much!
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

¥ ¥ ¥
    X ~O
    • Mrs Bones
    • By Mrs Bones 19th Jun 17, 7:25 PM
    • 13,395 Posts
    • 52,525 Thanks
    Mrs Bones
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:25 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:25 PM
    Overseas letters I try to keep letters under 10g and cards under 20g over 20g and it really starts to jump up in price in large amounts.
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 19th Jun 17, 7:40 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:40 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:40 PM
    How many people write or receive letters these days, can't be many.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 19th Jun 17, 7:57 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 6,701 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Mum used them all the time to write to relatives in Canada and America, she filled every space available on them

On the other hand she never scrimped on postage when sending copies of The Sunday Post to her sister in Canada every 4 weeks.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 miles in 2017 - 1681.5
    This week 64.8
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 19th Jun 17, 8:59 PM
    • 12,010 Posts
    • 11,389 Thanks
    Chris25
    yes I remember them - still have some of the illustrated ones to commemorate special occasions that I never used.
    Used to always buy the Christmas ones to send abroad so much nicer than the plain blue.
    This person is selling loads of different pictorial ones http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GB-AIRMAIL-LETTER-AEROGRAMME-COVERS-UNUSED-CHOOSE-COVER-/122327974838
    Last edited by Chris25; 19-06-2017 at 9:03 PM.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 19th Jun 17, 10:01 PM
    • 14,830 Posts
    • 59,553 Thanks
    Judi
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    Very true,

my handwriting is shockingly awful due to lack of practise.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 19th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    • 7,863 Posts
    • 11,769 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    Yes I remember them. Used to write to my brother in the States when he moved there 30 years ago. I never really had much to say to my brother at the time so I'd write about 3 lines and my mum would use the rest of the space.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 19th Jun 17, 10:23 PM
    • 1,078 Posts
    • 9,075 Thanks
    karcher
    I do remember them very well and very fondly. I still have a stack of airmail letters from a childhood friend who used to make me cry with laughter reading his weekly letters during his exchange year overseas
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 20th Jun 17, 7:18 AM
    • 2,802 Posts
    • 7,667 Thanks
    Callie22
    yes I remember them - still have some of the illustrated ones to commemorate special occasions that I never used.
    Used to always buy the Christmas ones to send abroad so much nicer than the plain blue.
    This person is selling loads of different pictorial ones http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GB-AIRMAIL-LETTER-AEROGRAMME-COVERS-UNUSED-CHOOSE-COVER-/122327974838
    Originally posted by Chris25
    Gosh, that was a blast from the past - especially the ones for the Royal Mail's international pen-pal club, Hola! I remember signing up for that, getting the free pens and aerogrammes and sending off letters to America and Japan, and getting some very confused ones back. I always wondered how they picked recipients as it seemed like they had no idea My brother signed up for it too and I'll never forget the name of his American pen-pal, whose first name was 'Chip'
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 20th Jun 17, 7:24 AM
    • 4,224 Posts
    • 5,257 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Originally posted by SamsReturn
    Send lots of postcards.....last lot from Spain cost €1.25 each for a postage stamp.
    • Exile_geordie
    • By Exile_geordie 20th Jun 17, 7:59 AM
    • 4,412 Posts
    • 8,820 Thanks
    Exile_geordie
    Can still send telegrams too
    Northern Northern Northern.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 20th Jun 17, 8:26 AM
    • 31,357 Posts
    • 37,045 Thanks
    Browntoa
    airmail letters were about as strong and thick as this stuff , there was always the fear your finger was going to go through it

I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • 1trainer1
    • By 1trainer1 20th Jun 17, 10:53 AM
    • 868 Posts
    • 1,746 Thanks
    1trainer1
    Memories of youth
    These bring back memories of my mum writing to her family letters telling them how the kids are and what the kids are getting up to.

We used to love getting the letters and mum reading the letter out to us all as a family was nice family time
    Blessed on 18th February at 0814 with little Sarah xxx
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 20th Jun 17, 10:55 AM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 2,713 Thanks
    Oakdene
    I do, although I am 31, I went to boarding school as my old man was (& still is) in the Army & I used to get weekly 'blueies' from him when he toured Iraq & other such places. Meant a lot to me when I saw one on the post table.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,738Posts Today

6,893Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin