Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lollobrigida
    • By Lollobrigida 19th Jun 17, 6:29 PM
    • 33Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Lollobrigida
    Lingual braces
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:29 PM
    Lingual braces 19th Jun 17 at 6:29 PM
    I don't want to put normal braces and Invisalign do not seem convenient. Is the only option left the lingual braces? Are you able to eat/drink whatever you want with them? Any opinions? Also, any cheap practice in London/South East?
Page 1
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 19th Jun 17, 6:31 PM
    • 5,739 Posts
    • 10,685 Thanks
    GwylimT
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:31 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:31 PM
    I think a lot depends on your own teeth. I has invisalign, not at all convenient, I imagine with lingual braces cleaning around the brackets may be tricky as you can't see what you're doing.
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 19th Jun 17, 8:00 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 3,597 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:00 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:00 PM
    Any brace system has its limitations as to what tooth movements it can achieve , and all brace systems place limitations on what you can eat or drink. Hard,tough,sticky foods will damage any brace , curries can discolour some braces and sweet things can cause decay around all braces.

Lingual braces are amongst the most technically challenging and therefore the expensive. They are challenging to get used to and have a lot of restrictions on what you can eat. The treatment can take a fair amount of time with regular visits for adjustments.

No medical or dental treatment should be bought on price , but on the expertise of the person doing it. You should see an orthodontist who will offer many systems and who can discuss which would be the best for you.

Although without accepting diet and cleaning changes it may not be the time to start brace therapy now.
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 19th Jun 17, 9:07 PM
    • 8,681 Posts
    • 10,333 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:07 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:07 PM
    If your priorities for braces are cheap, and not affecting your lifestyle - then as Brook says, you're not ready for braces.

Braces are a short term inconvenience for a long term gain. ( a year or two - but that compared to a lifetime of improved smile). To get it done well, it will cost you a bit. But again, this is then spread over a lifetime of improved looks and ?confidence.

If you're not prepared for the inconvenience, and feel that 'full price' isn't worth it - then I would agree with Brook that you're not really ready for it yet.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • Lollobrigida
    • By Lollobrigida 19th Jun 17, 9:39 PM
    • 33 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Lollobrigida
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:39 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:39 PM
    I was looking at that offer http://www.progressivedentistry.co.uk/treatment/lingual-braces/
    It says within weeks and no compliance issues!
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 19th Jun 17, 9:50 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 3,597 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:50 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:50 PM
    If you read further it says most within 24 weeks and this is only for very minor problems with the front 6 teeth. You also have to wear retainers for life , otherwise the teeth will rapidly move back.

You will have to adjust eating and cleaning habits and the lingual braces are difficult to adjust to.

Speak to an orthodontist , don't treatment plan via internet adverts.

Teeth move 1mm a month and it is unrealistic to expect completed bracework within weeks especially for anything more than the most minor irregularities.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

811Posts Today

7,074Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin