Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Corona
    • By Corona 19th Jun 17, 6:25 PM
    • 818Posts
    • 728Thanks
    Corona
    Recipe for coleslaw
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:25 PM
    Recipe for coleslaw 19th Jun 17 at 6:25 PM
    It seemed a good idea to use the carrots and white cabbage I have in to make a home-made coleslaw. I've put them through a food processr and now I'm wondering what to do next. I have a large jar of mayonnaise but know I need to add something to it, before mixing with the raw veg, but not sure what. Onion? Vinegar? Other? No idea about quantities either. (All the recipes I can find assume I want to make my own mayonnaise - but I don't; I just want to "tweak" a bought one)..

Help!
Page 1
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 19th Jun 17, 6:36 PM
    • 2,235 Posts
    • 32,803 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:36 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:36 PM
    I use finely sliced white cabbage, carrot and onion, add a big tablespoon of mayo, start with a little and work upto the consistency you like, and a touch of salt and pepper, stir through and taste, you can add a little whole grain mustard or Dijon- it's down to taste.

Hope you enjoy it - it's a favourite here
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

Sept GC £250/£0.00
    • Artytarty
    • By Artytarty 19th Jun 17, 6:37 PM
    • 2,111 Posts
    • 4,605 Thanks
    Artytarty
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:37 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:37 PM
    Gyum!
    I'd definitely add fine,y sliced onion, a dash of olive oil to loosen the mayo and a tiny spot of mustard for a bit of a kick.
    Norn Iron Club member 473
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 19th Jun 17, 6:40 PM
    • 1,952 Posts
    • 9,048 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:40 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:40 PM
    I'm guessing you could get easily as many different recipes for coleslaw as there are contributors to this thread!...Everyone has their own way of preparing it.

My choice would be to add some shredded celeriac to the mix...(.my sister would add shredded onion)....depending on what I have available (want to use up!) and what I am serving the slaw with I might add some grated apple....and maybe some nuts.....if I have red cabbage then this is good mixed with the white cabbage too.

For the dressing, I add a dash of vinegar and a splodge of mustard to the mayo.....and remember not too much mayo...you only want to coat the salad.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Jun 17, 7:24 PM
    • 59,916 Posts
    • 350,249 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:24 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:24 PM
    Beyond what you've got (cabbage/carrot) you just dollop in the mayo and mix it through until "it looks just how you like it to look".

Beyond that it's a question of what you've got/like in yours. Onion is nice, but after that you can "go mad" with anything you fancy at all.

I often make a curry one by adding curry powder... which also lends itself to a bit of mandarin ... or raisins/sultanas. Or I'll toss some peppers in IF I've got them.
    • Corona
    • By Corona 19th Jun 17, 7:43 PM
    • 818 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    Corona
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:43 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:43 PM
    Thanks everyone - some great ideas!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 19th Jun 17, 7:59 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 14,984 Thanks
    caronc
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:59 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:59 PM
    I like to mix the mayo with natural yoghurt or creme fraiche, mustard and a pinch of chilli powder or hot paprika. I prefer spring onions to other types mainly because I'm not a huge raw onion fan and if it's around for a couple of days I find the onion taste becomes very strong.
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 19th Jun 17, 8:56 PM
    • 2,944 Posts
    • 36,906 Thanks
    monnagran
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:56 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:56 PM
    Mine is red and white cabbage, finely sliced leeks, grated carrot, grated courgette and anything like radishes or celery that I happen to have around.
    Mixed with mayonnaise plus any of the other flavours already mentioned here.

I make quite a bit and any of the vegetable mixture not used in the coleslaw can be a stir-fry another day.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Lindlou
    • By Lindlou 19th Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    • 76 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Lindlou
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    White cabbage, thinly sliced white onion, some grated carrot, mayo and some salad cream ..........
    Never, ever give up........
    • karcher
    • By karcher 19th Jun 17, 9:43 PM
    • 1,265 Posts
    • 10,614 Thanks
    karcher
    Shredded white or red cabbage, grated carrot, finely chopped onion, a dollop of mayo, splash of extra virgin olive oil and a grinding of pepper.

Much better than the SM offerings imho.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 19th Jun 17, 10:48 PM
    • 17,746 Posts
    • 38,245 Thanks
    Glad
    I often make an asian slaw
    I usually use ribbon carrots, courgette and cucumber, add little bit of sesame oil, lemon juice and fresh ginger
    but I have used cabage in it as well
    Last edited by Glad; 19-06-2017 at 10:51 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • Gers
    • By Gers 20th Jun 17, 9:36 AM
    • 5,762 Posts
    • 33,513 Thanks
    Gers
    My American friend always adds well drained crushed pineapple to hers which makes it extra lovely.
    • Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 20th Jun 17, 9:52 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns
    Cheese in it makes for a lovely sandwich filling on its own
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Jun 17, 10:41 AM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 6,345 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I add red onion and I keep it dry till we use as DD likes mayo but I prefer vinaigrette
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 20th Jun 17, 11:19 AM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 17,941 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Another fan here of red onion, a handful of sultanas and a lighter dressing.
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 20th Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 6,076 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    I have some leftover cabbage in the fridge so I think I'll be making this later today to go with a cold tea (necessary in this weather)!

Thanks for the inspiration!
    Debt Free as of 2013 BUT now got the biggest debt of all.....house!
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 20th Jun 17, 12:49 PM
    • 1,349 Posts
    • 3,904 Thanks
    Izadora
    I was saying at the weekend that I need to make some coleslaw so thank you for the reminder.
    I make mine with shredded cabbage (red, white or a mixture of the two), finely sliced onion and grated carrot. I then use roughly equal quantities of mayo and salad cream, a bit of lemon juice and a heap of black pepper to coat the veg.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 20th Jun 17, 1:16 PM
    • 59,916 Posts
    • 350,249 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Because the title of this thread kept popping up on the forum ...and not disappearing ....I've just had to make a s0ddin' coleslaw

And now I need to make a spud salad too ...
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 20th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 6,345 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    I ended up doing an Asian style one for lunch - with added julienned cucumber, cherry toms, green pepper, lime juice, cider vinegar, chilli and a bit of sugar. Very refreshing
    • catkins
    • By catkins 21st Jun 17, 6:09 PM
    • 5,417 Posts
    • 11,451 Thanks
    catkins
    I usually make coleslaw with white cabbage, red cabbage, red onion and carrot. I then add raisins, cashew nuts, pine nuts and either salad cream or crème fraiche
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

115Posts Today

1,221Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin