Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RobRey
    • By RobRey 19th Jun 17, 5:30 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RobRey
    Estate agents contract periods
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:30 PM
    Estate agents contract periods 19th Jun 17 at 5:30 PM
    I have signed a 15 week sole agency contract to sell my house. After 6 weeks the service has been poor and I have had just one viewing. They have also suggested I drop the price dramatically from the price they set originally. I want to get out and engage another estate agents but how do I do it without incurring two lots of fees?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 19th Jun 17, 5:32 PM
    • 31,630 Posts
    • 37,316 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:32 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:32 PM
    You cannot , that's why it's called a contract
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • RobRey
    • By RobRey 19th Jun 17, 5:51 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RobRey
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:51 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:51 PM
    Even when arguably they are in breach of contract through poor service, very few viewings and moving the goalposts?
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 19th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    • 5,125 Posts
    • 4,778 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    Most EAs will negotiate down their minimum contract period, before you sign the contract - in order to win your business.

But once you've signed, they don't have any incentive to reduce the contract period.

I guess you can ask them, but expect to be disappointed.

Also, bear in mind that the contract will not automatically finish after 15 weeks - you will have to give them written notice, often 2 or 4 weeks in advance. So read your contract carefully, to check what yu need to do.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 19th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    • 5,125 Posts
    • 4,778 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    Even when arguably they are in breach of contract through poor service, very few viewings and moving the goalposts?
    Originally posted by RobRey
    Which term in the contract have they breached?

You will have to be very specific to succeed with that route - i.e. by pointing at the specific clause(s) in the contract that they have breached.
    • RobRey
    • By RobRey 19th Jun 17, 6:03 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RobRey
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:03 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:03 PM
    Thanks.

I could always take it off the market until the 15 weeks are over and put it up with another agent and start again.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 19th Jun 17, 6:18 PM
    • 5,125 Posts
    • 4,778 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:18 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:18 PM
    Thanks.

I could always take it off the market until the 15 weeks are over and put it up with another agent and start again.
    Originally posted by RobRey
    Again, you need to read the contract and/or discuss this with the EA.

I suspect that you might have agreed to let them advertise your property for a minimum of 15 weeks.

You could say, for example, that you won't accept any viewings. Then they might stop advertising it on the portals, but they might not - e.g. they might use your property to attract customers to their other properties and to make them seen busier.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 19th Jun 17, 6:33 PM
    • 41,077 Posts
    • 47,208 Thanks
    G_M
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:33 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:33 PM
    Since you are planning to sign up with another agent, I assume you still want to sell?

In which case, what exactly do you gain by taking the property off the market till the contract ends?

Just read the contract and determine how much notice you have to give. Remain in the market with them, and then in week11 (if 4 weeks notice is needed) put your notice in writing.

Ask for a list of clients they have introduced and give this to you next agent (so they know there would be a conflict if those clients buyers returned).

And next time negotiate a 6 or 8 week minimum contract period.
    • diveteachr
    • By diveteachr 20th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    diveteachr
    • 20th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    As the above says, don't wait until the minimum term is up to give your notice of termination of contract. I was also unimpressed with my original EA after a couple of weeks (almost immediately telling me to drop the price after signing contract etc etc....) and decided to take it off the market for a month after the contract ended just to brighten up communal areas and reset the amount of time the property had been on the market. Ended up selling rather quickly and with a different EA on a better rate of commission second time around. All's well that ends well
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

155Posts Today

1,371Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin