Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Teg-Rem
    • By Teg-Rem 19th Jun 17, 5:08 PM
    • 94Posts
    • 303Thanks
    Teg-Rem
    What do you eat in the heat?
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:08 PM
    What do you eat in the heat? 19th Jun 17 at 5:08 PM
    Now summer has finally come it is too hot to cook much and BBQ's are
    really only for weekends, so apart from endless salads, what do you all
    eat in this heat, I need some new ideas please.
Page 1
    • Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 19th Jun 17, 8:30 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:30 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:30 PM
    Tbh I don't really cook any differently

Sunday was still roast chicken. Only I roasted it first thing before it got too warm then served with salads and microwaved jackets. Tonight it was sausages , in baps with a salad

I'll always find room in the menu for a curry no matter how hot them temp

So for us here it's keeping the oven off as much as possible and using salads as veg. Beef burgers, sausages in baps don't need the BBQ, the grill works just as well. Fish takes centre stage as well, grilled or even smoked served cold. Using the micro helps keeping the heat in the kitchen down. Couscous and rice instead of spuds. Roasting a tray of veggies when the oven needs on. Ratatouille is delish cold as well as hot, great with meatballs or koftas

I do buy more bread products when it gets really hot as often or not it's too warm to eat a full meal then 2 hrs later I'm starved so a nice bread to shove left overs in really works for me. And a fridge full of salads, coleslaw, pasta, celery etc, just open the fridge and tuck in when the munchies hit
    • juliesname
    • By juliesname 19th Jun 17, 9:18 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 343 Thanks
    juliesname
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:18 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:18 PM
    A dishful of bits - eg pasta or chunks of microwaved spud, tinned tuna or salmon, cheese, hardboiled egg, throw a few peas in the micro, the spoonful of kidney beans that were leftovers in the freezer, crispy bacon bits, chunks of tomato, chunks of pear...dash of lemon juice, a few fresh herbs... Not necessarily all this at one meal!
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Jun 17, 9:22 PM
    • 60,983 Posts
    • 356,207 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:22 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:22 PM
    I'd eat anything if it were cooked for me..... which is exceedingly rare.

I'll eat the easiest thing to stick on a plate that I've got in the house... today that was cornflakes, a couple of choc ices, tomato sandwiches, an egg mayo sandwich and later on some cheesy chips
    • boliston
    • By boliston 19th Jun 17, 9:30 PM
    • 2,452 Posts
    • 2,018 Thanks
    boliston
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:30 PM
    I've just had spaghetti as it does not need the oven on just the hob - i heated my plate with a small amount of boiling water instead of heating it in the oven.

Yesterday I had curry with rice - hob only meal again (no oven required)
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 19th Jun 17, 9:30 PM
    • 8,770 Posts
    • 13,385 Thanks
    worried jim
    Just had kebabs. Like every night, but am in mid east where it is proper hot, not the big girls blouse of a summer you are having. Lots of chilli sauce and the aircon set at 16c. Nice.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 19th Jun 17, 9:32 PM
    • 19,714 Posts
    • 31,863 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:32 PM
    I like quiche. Plenty of flavours to choose from (or make), can be eaten hot or cold and with either a salad or something like new pots and peas.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 19th Jun 17, 9:32 PM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 6,810 Thanks
    melanzana
    Sandwiches, a bit of cheese, potato and pasta salad, some yogurt and fruit. Nothing warm sorry.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 19th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    • 1,538 Posts
    • 12,990 Thanks
    karcher
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    More or less the same as I eat all year...bread, cheese, salad, toast, beans, pizza, tuna, more bread, veg, fruit, curry...

....In fact I had a very hot and spicy curry on Friday night with a garlic nan bread ....perfect in both hot or cold weather.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 19th Jun 17, 9:43 PM
    • 15,463 Posts
    • 63,859 Thanks
    Judi
    Same as when its cold. Killed me having the oven on today it did. I'd eat more pasta salads if i lived on my own but hubby and Youngest wont touch salad.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 19th Jun 17, 9:50 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 6,533 Thanks
    MandM90
    Cold soups (Gazpacho, ajo blanco etc)
    Burgers
    Wraps, filled with mixed beans, salad etc
    Cold pasta salad (Pasta, sundried tomatoes, olives, spinach/rocket, onion and a light dressing/pesto)
    Raw spring rolls (fresh veggies wrapped in rice paper) dipped in homemade peanut sauce (peanut butter, sesame oil, chilli, lime juice, soya sauce)
    Spicy noodles/thai spiced soup/tom yam
    Sandwiches of any type
    Falafel wraps
    Puff pastry pizza (olives, roasted peppers etc on puff pastry - minimal prep/oven time - whack a load of rocket on top and drizzle with balsamic)

We're vegan but hopefully a few useful ideas
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • jayII
    • By jayII 19th Jun 17, 9:51 PM
    • 39,920 Posts
    • 106,438 Thanks
    jayII
    Home made rice salad or potato salad and green/mixed salads, alongside some sort of protein such as cheese, smoked fish or cold meats.

Or simple cold foods such as sandwiches.

Ah, I forgot about gazpacho, thanks MandM90, I'll make some tomorrow!
    Slimming world 12.5lbs lost so far
    Pay all your debt off by Xmas 2018 #11 £0/£7000
    Total debt reduction (cards and mortg) Feb '16 to Dec 17: £31,305
    NOT buying it in 2018, unless it's really really necessary!
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 19th Jun 17, 9:57 PM
    • 1,346 Posts
    • 6,533 Thanks
    MandM90
    Another thing I'd highly recommend is investing in a slow cooker/InstantPot. Far less hot - and energy guzzling - than conventional ovens. We keep ours tucked away in the utility room near a single glazed window so it's no bother making curries and chillies in the summer
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 20th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    • 1,333 Posts
    • 7,484 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I have been a bit stuck about what to cook recently as I can't bear to be in the kitchen with the oven on. I love soups and curries a few times a week, but can't bear the thought of them in this heat!

I've been quite lazy and keep cooking Quorn chicken nuggets in the oven in the morning and then having them cold in a bun with a side salad for dinner.

I quite like having olives, houmous and crackers as well for dinner. Just quick and easy.

Fresh fruit and ice cream for afterwards.

Cold pasta salad (Pasta, sundried tomatoes, olives, spinach/rocket, onion and a light dressing/pesto)
    Originally posted by MandM90
    Yes, I do that, I cook a batch and then keep portions in the fridge to have cold.
    "It doesn't cost any more to dream big."
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 20th Jun 17, 1:49 PM
    • 1,962 Posts
    • 6,695 Thanks
    Ilona
    I never ever use the oven anyway, so I just eat the same all the year round. I might use one ring of the gas hob, steamed veg, or the grill, veggie sausages. Mostly I get food out of the fridge and put it straight onto the plate. The kitchen is not my favourite place to be, I want my meals quick.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • Teg-Rem
    • By Teg-Rem 22nd Jun 17, 8:57 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 303 Thanks
    Teg-Rem
    thanks for all the replies, some great idea which I am sure to try out next time it gets hot again. Typically it's got cool again now but I could never just eat what I eat all round it just gets too hot to put the oven on etc. 30degrees in my kitchen most evenings this week, so plenty salads boiled potatoes and cold meat and fish. Boring.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

686Posts Today

4,430Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nice debating with (all but the rude ones) of you. Bedtime for me now. Goodnight #bbcqt

• RT @kevmthomas: @MartinSLewis It was a comment you made about the referendum being a binary choice on a non binary issue that helped me rea?

• To clarify this. Cameron's gamble that having a stark vote'd mean his team won. He gambled wrong (that's not a stat? https://t.co/NSCT3aKvGS

• Follow Martin