Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • allison445
    • By allison445 19th Jun 17, 5:03 PM
    • 177Posts
    • 155Thanks
    allison445
    Is anyone who does surveys registered as self employed
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:03 PM
    Is anyone who does surveys registered as self employed 19th Jun 17 at 5:03 PM
    I find myself at a lose end just now Due to illness I have no income and I am living on savings,
    I have just started doing surveys in the last 2 months and instead of taking vouchers I would like to use my earnings as an income its not a vast amount about £200 a month buy every little helps.
    Now I want to do things right and register as self employed before I move any cash to bank accounts just wondering if anyone can give me any advice on what information i need to provide hmrc and would I have to provide accounts yearly ?
    Any advice welcomed thanks
Page 1
    • elverson
    • By elverson 19th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    • 581 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    elverson
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    Register for self assessment now:

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-file-self-assessment-tax-return/register-if-youre-self-employed

If you earn less than the personal allowance (which it sounds like you will as it stands) you won't have to pay any income tax, but you still need to declare the income on your tax return.

The current tax year ends on 5 April 2018. You then need to submit your self assessment by the end of January 2019 if you're doing it online.

You may also want to declare yourself below the National Insurance threshold - see here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rates-and-allowances-national-insurance-contributions/rates-and-allowances-national-insurance-contributions
    Last edited by elverson; 19-06-2017 at 5:15 PM.
    • allison445
    • By allison445 19th Jun 17, 5:29 PM
    • 177 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    allison445
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:29 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:29 PM
    What will I need to provide for the self assessment to verify the income would it just be a bank statement with the monthly income going in or would I need some other form of proof or as most pay via paypal would it be better using a statement from there ?
    Thanks
    • asajj
    • By asajj 19th Jun 17, 6:54 PM
    • 4,069 Posts
    • 10,028 Thanks
    asajj
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:54 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:54 PM
    Lots of thread about the same question. You submit a statement from Paypal or/and bank statement to show the income. You can use more than one. If you are within your taxable allowance, you wouldn't be paying tax on it. Good luck.
    Last edited by asajj; 19-06-2017 at 6:57 PM.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • Marvqn1
    • By Marvqn1 19th Jun 17, 8:02 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Marvqn1
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:02 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:02 PM
    Lots of thread about the same question. You submit a statement from Paypal or/and bank statement to show the income. You can use more than one. If you are within your taxable allowance, you wouldn't be paying tax on it. Good luck.
    Originally posted by asajj
    Is that a recent requirement? I've never noticed them asking for a statement in a tax return.
    • ElefantEd
    • By ElefantEd 19th Jun 17, 10:25 PM
    • 497 Posts
    • 947 Thanks
    ElefantEd
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:25 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:25 PM
    I've been self employed for several years; some of my income from surveys but mostly from tutoring. Never had to send them a statement or any other proof of income. I just keep track of what I earn during the year and let them know in my tax return. Never been questioned.
    • elverson
    • By elverson 20th Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    • 581 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    elverson
    • 20th Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    • 20th Jun 17, 8:10 AM
    However, HMRC can come back and ask you to provide more detailed proof.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

185Posts Today

1,645Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin