Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 19th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    • 3,677Posts
    • 3,057Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    Speed cameras - single flash
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    Speed cameras - single flash 19th Jun 17 at 2:29 PM
    Just a question that's been puzzling me a while. On my long weekly commute, I pass dozens of speed cameras ( the A68 if anyone's familiar with it ). I'm always careful to make sure I'm not speeding, but over the years I've seen loads of people getting flashed.

Anyhow ...

When I see someone go past one on the left side of the road, it flashes twice in quick succession ( I think I'm right in saying that's so they can prove the speed by the white lines on the road, if there's any dispute ? )

But I've also seen loads of people going towards the camera ( i.e. the camera is on the right-hand side of the road ), and it gives just a single flash - oh, and the times I've seen it, they were definitely speeding, so it's not an error in the camera.

I'm just curious as to whether the camera would issue a ticket in these circumstances. The car was definitely speeding, and the camera obviously registered that fact. But does it have to flash twice for it to be legally acceptable as evidence, or whatever the terminology is ?
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 19th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:36 PM
    Just a question that's been puzzling me a while. On my long weekly commute, I pass dozens of speed cameras ( the A68 if anyone's familiar with it ). I'm always careful to make sure I'm not speeding, but over the years I've seen loads of people getting flashed.

Anyhow ...

When I see someone go past one on the left side of the road, it flashes twice in quick succession ( I think I'm right in saying that's so they can prove the speed by the white lines on the road, if there's any dispute ? )

But I've also seen loads of people going towards the camera ( i.e. the camera is on the right-hand side of the road ), and it gives just a single flash - oh, and the times I've seen it, they were definitely speeding, so it's not an error in the camera.

I'm just curious as to whether the camera would issue a ticket in these circumstances. The car was definitely speeding, and the camera obviously registered that fact. But does it have to flash twice for it to be legally acceptable as evidence, or whatever the terminology is ?
    Originally posted by Ebe Scrooge

If you're talking a gatso camera then it's not approve for forward facing detection so they won't get a ticket.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 19th Jun 17, 3:00 PM
    • 3,677 Posts
    • 3,057 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:00 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:00 PM
    I see, thanks.

And no, before anyone asks, I haven't been flashed ! I just see so many people getting "forward-flashed", as it were, that I was just curious.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 19th Jun 17, 6:13 PM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 1,231 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:13 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:13 PM
    But it might not be a Gatso.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 19th Jun 17, 6:48 PM
    • 4,160 Posts
    • 3,507 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:48 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:48 PM
    But it might not be a Gatso.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    They are Gatsos on the A68. Or were last time I was on it a few months back.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 19th Jun 17, 9:59 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:59 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:59 PM
    Some measure average speed over a long distance, so only one flash, at the far end ; or maybe none.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 19th Jun 17, 10:16 PM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 1,231 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:16 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:16 PM
    Some measure average speed over a long distance, so only one flash, at the far end ; or maybe none.
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    AfAIK average speed cameras do not flash.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 19th Jun 17, 10:19 PM
    • 4,160 Posts
    • 3,507 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:19 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:19 PM
    AfAIK average speed cameras do not flash.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    They don't. No need to as they don't need to take a photograph as they are measuring average speed using your number plate - they can read that either with ambient light or in some cases using IR. On motorway roadworks they sometimes put a floodlight up near the average speed cameras.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 20th Jun 17, 8:13 AM
    • 3,677 Posts
    • 3,057 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 20th Jun 17, 8:13 AM
    • 20th Jun 17, 8:13 AM
    They are Gatsos on the A68. Or were last time I was on it a few months back.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll

Yes, they're all Gatsos. With the exception possibly of the one about a mile North of Earlston. Not sure, but it's bright yellow all over, the others have a yellow back but a grey front ? It used to be a Gatso, then got vandalised, then got replaced with a new one.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 20th Jun 17, 9:27 AM
    • 935 Posts
    • 625 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Yes, they're all Gatsos. With the exception possibly of the one about a mile North of Earlston. Not sure, but it's bright yellow all over, the others have a yellow back but a grey front ? It used to be a Gatso, then got vandalised, then got replaced with a new one.
    Originally posted by Ebe Scrooge
    Does it have a thin window where the lens and the flash is or does it have a lens right in the middle? If the latter, it's a Truvelo and they enforce from the front.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 20th Jun 17, 9:56 AM
    • 3,677 Posts
    • 3,057 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    Does it have a thin window where the lens and the flash is or does it have a lens right in the middle? If the latter, it's a Truvelo and they enforce from the front.
    Originally posted by Mercdriver

It's got a lens in the middle. I did think it was a Truvelo, though I wasn't 100% certain. Mind you, I'm over cautious anyway - I always keep a close eye on my speedo every time I pass any of them, whether from the front or back ! Not that I drive like a maniac, but I'd be lying if I said I've never crept over the limit by a little bit. Yes, I know that if my speedo says 65mph I'm more than likely OK passing a 60mph camera - but I've never had a ticket for over 30 years and I don't want to start now :-)
    • Johnmcl7
    • By Johnmcl7 20th Jun 17, 4:56 PM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 1,475 Thanks
    Johnmcl7
    Truvelos can enforce speed limits on vehicles coming towards them and there's only a single flash, the secondary verification is performed by checking the photo and ensuring the front wheel of the car is on the middle of the three lines. Speed is measured using sensors buried in the road and if the speed is measured incorrectly then the car wheel won't be in the middle of the three lines.

Although it's frequently stated online that these cameras use a non-visible infrared flash, that isn't true and instead they use a magenta filter which still produces a visible flash. The cameras can be used for both rear and front facing vehicles, they're often confused for Gatsos as some have replaced Gatsos but the distinctive dragon's teeth markings have been left on the road.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,061Posts Today

6,785Users online

Martin's Twitter