Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 19th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,713Posts
    • 3,064Thanks
    swingaloo
    No wonder people fly tip!
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    No wonder people fly tip! 19th Jun 17 at 1:59 PM
    Before I start- No, I do not condone fly tipping, I think its disgusting.

Son wants to get rid of some trade waste, its mostly furniture but it would be at least twice a month. We are on the border of 2 neighbouring councils. The one we don't live in runs a permit scheme whereby you pay a yearly fee of £200 to use the recycling centre as often as you need.

As we are 35 yards into the next council area he cant use that centre.

The one we come under charges £94 plus vat for the first half ton and a further £94 plus vat for every additional half or part of a ton. No yearly permit available, just pay each time you come.
    So with our council it would cost a few thousand a year, next door council £200 a year.

Not my idea of fair.
Page 2
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 19th Jun 17, 3:48 PM
    • 9,280 Posts
    • 10,439 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    Charges for dumping waste are usually only for commercial waste so no excuse for householders to fly tip.
    Originally posted by sheramber
    In some areas maybe but certainly not all councils do this.
    My local amenity/recycling tip charges householders for building waste at £5 per sack and £4 for used tyres.

Shortly after these charges were introduced there was a spate of old tyres being dumped in ditches and hedges around the area but thankfully this seems to have died off at the moment.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 19th Jun 17, 4:49 PM
    • 8,624 Posts
    • 15,459 Thanks
    calleyw
    That's not necessarily so. Householders in our borough can only go free if they are in a car. Any large items needing a van incur the £90 plus fee.

I know there is no excuse for fly tipping but a lot of households simply cannot afford these charges.
    Originally posted by swingaloo
    The scheme around my way for household waste is you need a permit if using a van or trailer over a certain size. That costs nothing and you have up to 12 trips in a year. Not needed if using a hire van just the hire contract and local proof of address.

I get why they have done this, as lots of a little one man bands have been using the local tips to get rid of commercial waste for free. Shame that the few have to spoil it for the many.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 19th Jun 17, 4:49 PM
    • 2,730 Posts
    • 2,753 Thanks
    DoaM
    OP's son could negotiate with the council ... charge me a reasonable rate else I move my business up the road to the neighbouring council area, whereby current council will also lose business rates income etc.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 19th Jun 17, 5:28 PM
    • 17,875 Posts
    • 13,562 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I almost fly tipped a dead rat lol !! I know what I could do next time that I find one. Hopefully will not happen. Talking of sinking rats.....I see the SFO should be making public tomorrow their findings on Barclays Bank lol !!
    Originally posted by Mchambers
    Please keep your nonsense to one thread, where those of us who think you would make a good candidate for the Monster Raving Loony party can completely ignore you.
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 19th Jun 17, 7:56 PM
    • 1,074 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    firefox1956
    Put it on Freegle / Freecycle etc.
    Its amazing what you can get rid or for nowt !!
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 20th Jun 17, 9:54 AM
    • 735 Posts
    • 467 Thanks
    jon81uk
    Try contacting other companies or looking at other disposal methods maybe. A skip might be cheaper.
    • Computersaysno
    • By Computersaysno 20th Jun 17, 2:11 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Computersaysno
    This is but nothing compared to what councils will be doing soon as the cuts REALLY bite......

Fly tipping will go thru the roof...

Our council.....need a permit to use a small trailer. NO vans. £40 for a mattress/big item collection. £25/yr for garden bin.

My mate is a decorator and they tried to do him for not having a Waste Carriers Licence....said the empty tin in the back of the van that he kept his brushes in and the carrier bag on the gearstick [which contained his empty sandwich holder] was 'commercial waste'......I shi7 you not.

Councils are shafted....massive cutbacks....they need to screw someone and businesses are easier to screw than dodgy scum tenants who dump their rubbish in the back lanes and them blame each other in the house so no-one can be done.
    Welcome to the world of 'Protect the brand at the cost of free speech'
    • Computersaysno
    • By Computersaysno 20th Jun 17, 2:13 PM
    • 759 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Computersaysno
    About seven years ago Northumbria Council closed SEVEN local amenity sites....and were outraged when fly tipping increased......as our American cousins say...Go figure!!
    Welcome to the world of 'Protect the brand at the cost of free speech'
    • pimento
    • By pimento 20th Jun 17, 3:09 PM
    • 5,154 Posts
    • 6,706 Thanks
    pimento
    Charges for dumping waste are usually only for commercial waste so no excuse for householders to fly tip.
    Originally posted by sheramber
    Ha! Our local council won't let you bring your domestic waste or recycling into the tip in anything but a car. If you happen to drive a van or a truck (as is the current fashion) you will be refused entry. I used to drive a small 2-seater sports car that wouldn't fit anything in the boot so that made the local tip out of bounds to me as they won't even let you walk in.

They are now wondering why there's a fly-tipping problem locally.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • Huskydays
    • By Huskydays 20th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    Huskydays
    £25/yr for garden bin.
    Originally posted by Computersaysno
    Mine's £55 a year
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 20th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    • 9,705 Posts
    • 6,718 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Mine's £55 a year
    Originally posted by Huskydays
    Is that the initial cost or the regular annual renewal. You usually have to pay a charge for the bin to start off then the annual charge for the service.
    • savvy
    • By savvy 20th Jun 17, 4:53 PM
    • 29,677 Posts
    • 45,215 Thanks
    savvy

I mentioned fly tipping as quite often in the area there are very often mattresses and couches left in the lane where I cut through on my way to work probably dumped there because people cant afford or cant be bothered to dispose of them the correct way.
    Funnily enough, I've been saying the same thing lately! Just had a badly needed kitchen renovation done, and apparently we had just missed the cut off date for their new charge for rubble. Now I can understand trade having to pay, but for the rare times I have to dump a small amount of rubble, I don't particularly want to pay out extra on top of my increasing council tax for the recycling centre.......already galling they bought in a charge recently to take your garden waste.

And somebody may well come in here and lecture me about me not wanting to pay more......don't worry, the broken tiles went in under the kitchen floor but I ask you this, when it came to dumping a foot long of coving, it was classed as plasterboard. Fair enough, where do I put it, well it's £6 a bag.........urm right but this little bit isn't anywhere near a bag full Yes but it's still £6 for us to take it!! So that also came home with me, got broken up and put in the wheely bin - and I wanted to dispose of it correctly

So in my eyes the OP is very correct, as I am already seeing an increase in flytipping in my area since these new obscure charges, that I'm not even convinced the council get the money from some of our local recycling characters!
    • savvy
    • By savvy 20th Jun 17, 4:55 PM
    • 29,677 Posts
    • 45,215 Thanks
    savvy

Our council..... £25/yr for garden bin.
    You're lucky!!! Ours just went from £35 to £45 per year
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 20th Jun 17, 5:20 PM
    • 7,872 Posts
    • 4,695 Thanks
    teddysmum
    That's not necessarily so. Householders in our borough can only go free if they are in a car. Any large items needing a van incur the £90 plus fee.

I know there is no excuse for fly tipping but a lot of households simply cannot afford these charges.

Our council charges private owners or renters but council tenants have free collection; unfair as not all council tenants are poor and some are better off than private renters.
    • Cyclamen
    • By Cyclamen 20th Jun 17, 5:30 PM
    • 388 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    Cyclamen
    No car here (health prevents driving) so the local tip is out of bounds. I have to pay someone with a waste license to collect items and then they have to go to a different 'commercial tip'. If I pay someone they can't use the local tip.

Locals who drive vans can get a permit (free) for their own waste but are limited to 6 trips a year. They wont give me this permit to give to the person who does my rubbish removal.

This gets really expensive,

We also pay for our green garden bin as I love gardening.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 20th Jun 17, 6:34 PM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Put it on freecycle and give it away.

Even if people just want it for fire wood, problem solved.

Not much of a business brain your son.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 20th Jun 17, 7:46 PM
    • 6,795 Posts
    • 12,467 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Where I used to live, the local tip was only open 9am-4pm M-F and 8am-12pm Sat. Useless for me as I worked during the week and Saturday was a constant queue. Was in the queue for an hour and a half (couldn't turn round as queue was in the one way slip road to the tip itself)

Discovered a tip in the next council area only 7 miles away and was open 8-8 every day from April to September and 9-6 other times.

I went to the latter tip from then on til I moved out of the area.

I did see a fair amount of fly tipping on the country roads about 2 miles from the first tip
    • swingaloo
    • By swingaloo 20th Jun 17, 8:42 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 3,064 Thanks
    swingaloo
    Put it on freecycle and give it away.

Even if people just want it for fire wood, problem solved.

Not much of a business brain your son.
    Originally posted by parking_question_chap

Well thanks for that useless rude comment.
    Just so you know-

Anything that will sell is sold.
    Anything that is usable but not worth selling is given to charity.
    Anything that charities cant accept because of fire regulations etc is given away on freecycle.

Not many people want old style televisions any more even if they are free
    Not many people want a used mattress any more
    and despite offering countless wooden fire surrounds and old settees on freecycle no one seems to want them even for firewood.

Not very well thought out your idea was it.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 20th Jun 17, 8:44 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 516 Thanks
    angryparcel

My mate is a decorator and they tried to do him for not having a Waste Carriers Licence....said the empty tin in the back of the van that he kept his brushes in and the carrier bag on the gearstick [which contained his empty sandwich holder] was 'commercial waste'......I shi7 you not.
    And they are correct as any waste generated by a business is 'commercial waste', if he is a decorator paint tins he disposes of are 'commercial waste' and if he goes to a recycle depot is a works van then yes he needs a waste carriers licence
    • jaycee999
    • By jaycee999 21st Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jaycee999
    Stop nit picking - he said one can and one carrier bag FGS! - He could have just thrown them out of the window. This is red tape gone mad.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

756Posts Today

6,466Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin