Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tonks52
    • By Tonks52 19th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 16Thanks
    Tonks52
    Solar panels
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    Solar panels 19th Jun 17 at 1:56 PM
    Does anyone have these on their roof?

Had someone round this weekend whose proposing 14 panels that should supposedly cover 3/4 of our energy needs for the year (not including a battery but would also great or water via solar). System would cost 8.5k.

Does anyone have any personal experience of these?

How much were your savings?
    Would you recommend the company you used?

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • JimLad
    • By JimLad 19th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    JimLad
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    Sounds expensive too me. Is that a 4kwh system?

Our 4kwh system cost £5000 2 years ago.

3/4 of your energy will be a push as the average household uses most of their energy in the evenings when its not sunny!
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17. Now expecting a Baby girl in August!
    MissWillow is my OH!
    • Tonks52
    • By Tonks52 19th Jun 17, 5:26 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Tonks52
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:26 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:26 PM
    Yes, believe it was A 4k system, which salesmen said was the limit of what you can get on a residential premesis​. No idea how true that is but he said that above residential is commercial which gives back less on the feed in tariff and would need planning permission.

What company did you use please? Would you recommend them? What sort of savings are you making on you install?
    • tunnel
    • By tunnel 19th Jun 17, 5:45 PM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 7,675 Thanks
    tunnel
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:45 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:45 PM
    Yes, believe it was A 4k system, which salesmen said was the limit of what you can get on a residential premesis​. No idea how true that is but he said that above residential is commercial which gives back less on the feed in tariff and would need planning permission.

What company did you use please? Would you recommend them? What sort of savings are you making on you install?
    Originally posted by Tonks52
    Salesman is talking out of his backside
    You can have any size system on your property it's just anything above 4kWp would need prior approval by your local DNO(district network operator). I have 6.5kWp for instance
    What the salesman probably means is they can't be !!!!!d to apply for approval on your behalf like mine did
    Anything upto 10kWp attracts the same FiT(feed in tariff) so don't listen to the very expensive salesman, try posting your location and you may get some help with local companies that charge a fair price not one that's looking to charge you NEARLY DOUBLE the going rate for a system.
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 19th Jun 17, 6:15 PM
    • 5,929 Posts
    • 9,975 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:15 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:15 PM
    Hiya Tonks, not an honest salesman, in fact, the 10-50kWp FiT is higher (4.25p v's 4.04p).

Do you have anymore info, approx roof space, roof orientation, household leccy consumption per year, approx location (nothing too personal)?

BTW, have you seen the PV FAQ's, link in my autosig.
    Last edited by Martyn1981; 19-06-2017 at 6:19 PM.
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • JimLad
    • By JimLad 20th Jun 17, 11:34 AM
    • 894 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    JimLad
    • 20th Jun 17, 11:34 AM
    • 20th Jun 17, 11:34 AM
    Between FIT payments, electric savings and Gas savings (immersion heater diverter) i have worked out we make / save about £750 a year from our panels.

Obviously this is on an older FIT tariff so you will get a lot less now.

I would hope you could get a complete install for <5k nowadays?
    MissWillow is my OH!
    • simpletron
    • By simpletron 20th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    simpletron
    • 20th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    I've just moved from a house where we put in solar panels a couple of years ago and the FiT was 15p or so per kWh.

But I have an EV and this made a fair amount of difference as I was driving ~30 miles a day doing the school run and as I often work from home I'd trickle charge the car during sunnier days which used up much of the generated energy. I received ~£350 per year in FiT but can't be sure how much electricity I saved as I got the car soon after the panels.

Now we're a walk away from school and I'm umming and ahhing about getting panels again. I've been quoted £5k for 4kWp but with the much reduced FiT and drastically reduced use of the EV it will be much worse from a purely economical perspective.

Really it makes so much more practical sense to have storage too and I feel batteries will be a no-brainer but are just too pricey currently. If I had a 10kWh battery that could be filled up 3/4 of the year I'd also consider moving to electricity for heating and cooking etc. If you do go for PV panels do consider getting an inverter that will work with battery storage if you want to have that option in the future.

I realise I haven't answered your question but I think the answer depends so much on how you use electricity and what other plans you might have. I had no plans to get the EV before I had solar.... You probably won't regret it though if you do...it feels wrong to be sitting here in this bright weather under a roof that is not using some of that energy.
    • Tonks52
    • By Tonks52 20th Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Tonks52
    • 20th Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    Got that impression from him today tbh. He called back to see if I had decided to go ahead. I told him not yet as I wanted to compare to other companies. He then had a good at me as he had paid 180 for the lead, to which I told him want my problem. He wasn't happy and told me it was.

Also when he was in my house he asked me to fill in my card details so that he didn't have to come back when I wanted to go ahead, just call me and get my authorisation.. luckily I have him false details.
    • JimLad
    • By JimLad 20th Jun 17, 4:45 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    JimLad
    • 20th Jun 17, 4:45 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 4:45 PM
    Got that impression from him today tbh. He called back to see if I had decided to go ahead. I told him not yet as I wanted to compare to other companies. He then had a good at me as he had paid 180 for the lead, to which I told him want my problem. He wasn't happy and told me it was.

Also when he was in my house he asked me to fill in my card details so that he didn't have to come back when I wanted to go ahead, just call me and get my authorisation.. luckily I have him false details.

Definitely not your problem. If he quoted you a competitive price maybe you would have gone with him. Time to block his number methinks.
    MissWillow is my OH!
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 20th Jun 17, 9:09 PM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 2,759 Thanks
    theboylard
    Wut?! He paid £180 for the lead from one of the gazillion cold-call shysters? 'E's been 'ad me ol' fruit!!
    I'd also tell him to do one for wasting my time and getting mouthy on the phone: tell him you'll invoice him for £300 - £250 if he pays on the day!!

That is shocking That sounds decidedly dodgy on the dodgy salesman's part!!. Why even give false details?!

You've invited someone into your home, you've let them ramble on for 2-3 hours? They've promised the moon on a stick, they've not been honest with you, and when the nice man asked for payment details, just to speed up the whole thing - you willingly give them?
    Admittedly they were false, but what would have happened if he stood over you and could see the real details?
    You could lose any protection by doing that.

Being blunt, no disrespect intended, but if you ever do that again, take yourself outside and smack your head against the wall - outside because it's rougher and will leave visible scars to remind you of what a twonk you've been.
    4kWp, SSE, 16 x 250w EcoFuture BoB with retro-fitted SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    • Tonks52
    • By Tonks52 20th Jun 17, 9:56 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Tonks52
    lol certainly some truth in that. but to be honest coudlnt be bothered with his hard sale so just gave him what he wanted (so he thought) just to quickly get rid of him. Unaware at the time how far out his quote was.
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 21st Jun 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 2,759 Thanks
    theboylard
    Glad you took it in the humour it was intended!!

Well, if you are serious about solar PV, you're in the right place.
    Most of us have solar PV, some actively moan against it, but none of us have an interest in selling anything to YOU!

What'll you get here is honest advice, based on our own experiences, that will ensure you go into this with your eyes open, fully informed and understanding what your investment can achieve.

As Mart said yesterday, the PV FAQ is a great place for info.

But to give you more info, if you provide your rough location, your roof direction (mine is southeast/northwest, or in compass terms 135 degrees from north) and the rough length/width of the roof on one side (so we can get an idea of usable area) and if there are any obstructions (chimney/rooflight etc) then as a community, we'll be able to give you an idea of possible returns and possibly some reputable suppliers.

Good luck!
    4kWp, SSE, 16 x 250w EcoFuture BoB with retro-fitted SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    • Tonks52
    • By Tonks52 21st Jun 17, 9:48 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Tonks52
    Thanks Martyn. I only have the details that I got from the not so honest salesman - I can post the company he was from if that is permitted - just as a way to warn others.

60 degrees from south
    30 degree roof pitch
    Kk figure 1012
    System size 4.06 KWp
    shade factor 1
    Estimated production 4108.72 KWh

Quote was for:
    14 x 3000 black mono crystaline panels
    1 x invertor
    1 x epc survey
    1 x hot water heating unit

My energy company (Avro) estimates that i will spend 781 this year on electricity
    Estimated Annual Usage
    Electricity 6636.2 kWh
    Gas 31421 kWh

(apologies thought i had sent this yesterday!)
    Will check the link in your signature - thank you!
    • Tonks52
    • By Tonks52 21st Jun 17, 9:49 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Tonks52
    Thanks. To add to my reply to Martyn, my rough location is Ashford Kent.
    • ajbell
    • By ajbell 21st Jun 17, 10:09 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 2,987 Thanks
    ajbell
    You are a heavy user of electricity.
    I have seen my usage fall from 3300kWh to 1000kWh since my install.
    Though I have changed my usage to match the generation.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
    • Tonks52
    • By Tonks52 21st Jun 17, 10:57 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Tonks52
    I don't see how tbh. Really don't know where it all goes! Not like we have a swimming pool with electric heater..

What did you mean when you've said you've changed your usage to match the generation?
    • ajbell
    • By ajbell 21st Jun 17, 11:12 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 2,987 Thanks
    ajbell
    your gas and electricity usage is about 2x average.
    Should add that my gas usage has also fallen from 13000kwh to 9000kwh since install due to iboost heating my hot water and an oil filled radiator.
    I charge laptops, phones, ipads etc when generating, also any energy intensive activity is shifted towards max generation time.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 21st Jun 17, 11:58 PM
    • 5,929 Posts
    • 9,975 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Thanks Martyn. I only have the details that I got from the not so honest salesman - I can post the company he was from if that is permitted - just as a way to warn others.

60 degrees from south
    30 degree roof pitch
    Kk figure 1012
    System size 4.06 KWp
    shade factor 1
    Estimated production 4108.72 KWh

Quote was for:
    14 x 3000 black mono crystaline panels
    1 x invertor
    1 x epc survey
    1 x hot water heating unit

My energy company (Avro) estimates that i will spend 781 this year on electricity
    Estimated Annual Usage
    Electricity 6636.2 kWh
    Gas 31421 kWh

(apologies thought i had sent this yesterday!)
    Will check the link in your signature - thank you!
    Hiya Tonks, no worries, so let's have a looksie.

First off, slight discrepancy, if the panels are 300Wp each, then the PV will total 4.2kWp. For 4.06kWp they must be 290Wp panels.

Had a quick play with PVGIS (see section 5 of the FAQ's), and for Ashford it estimates for 30d pitch at -60d from south* that you'll get 3,790kWh pa from 4.06kWp or 3,930kWh pa from 4.2kWp, so not far off what you were told, and most of us seem to beat the PVGIS estimates by a bit.

* If you are +60d from south (SW not SE) then you'll get the same generation, but you might save a little more on leccy bills as afternoon/evening generation is a better match to consumption (just saying).

Your consumption (bad news) is massive!
    Quick google and low, medium, high estimates are
    leccy - 2,000 / 3,200 / 4,900
    gas - 9,000 / 13,500 / 19,000

Our consumption in a 3 bed semi is 3,000 leccy and 7,000 gas.

Good news, the more leccy you consume, then the more you will probably save with PV. [But first off have you fully insulated the property, and installed low energy lighting etc, as these are easier and cheaper wins?]

This next bit gets a bit trickier, but if you have the space, then it's probably best to go bigger on the PV, as the costs fall (proportionately) as you install more, since a lot of the costs are fixed (scaffolding, labour, inverter etc etc) and the panels are relatively cheap.

Lots to explain, but probably best you ask away and we all point you in the right direction, or suggest advice.

BTW, we've cut our import down from that 3,000 figure I gave earlier to 1,500. We generate approx 4,200-4,500 pa, so export about 2/3rds.
    Last edited by Martyn1981; 22-06-2017 at 12:00 AM.
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Ryanfuego
    • By Ryanfuego 22nd Jun 17, 10:46 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Ryanfuego
    My cousin uses such panels, he's very satisfied and it consumes money a lot. He's spending reduced up to 60% overall. I suggest you to use it.
    • Tonks52
    • By Tonks52 22nd Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Tonks52
    Think I need to call my supplier for an updated estimate. We moved in in October taking the house over from a nature family of four and have kept with the same supplier. So perhaps the estimate on my bill is more customised for them. I'm in a family of four for the past six months but that consists of a two year old and a six month old... So cannot see how we would be to times the average!

Fingers crossed anyway
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,648Posts Today

8,399Users online

Martin's Twitter