Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • catkins
    • By catkins 19th Jun 17, 1:48 PM
    • 5,373Posts
    • 11,195Thanks
    catkins
    Insect repellant that actually works?
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:48 PM
    Insect repellant that actually works? 19th Jun 17 at 1:48 PM
    Insects seem to love me and almost every year I get bitten and most years I have a reaction to at least 1 bite so my leg/arm/face swells up like mad and I have to go to the Dr.

This year I am going to Stockholm and I believe there are a lot of mosquitoes there. I have tried a few sprays in the past but they never seem to work nor do any of the supposed remedies for once you have been bitten.

Anyone got any suggestions that do actually work?
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
Page 1
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 19th Jun 17, 1:50 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 355 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:50 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:50 PM
    One that I used in Canada years ago was called "OFF" and worked brilliantly but I don't know if it's available in this country or even if it's still made?

nb. - A quick web search suggests it is.
    • happyandcontented
    • By happyandcontented 19th Jun 17, 1:52 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 1,394 Thanks
    happyandcontented
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:52 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:52 PM
    One that I used in Canada years ago was called "OFF" and worked brilliantly but I don't know if it's available in this country or even if it's still made?

nb. - A quick web search suggests it is.
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    Amazon sell it., about £12 a bottle.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 19th Jun 17, 2:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:13 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:13 PM
    I swear by Mosquito Milk which has the advantage of being pleasant to use and you only need to roll it on in strips. You may need to buy it online.
    • Kunoichi73
    • By Kunoichi73 19th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Kunoichi73
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    I've spent a couple of summers in Stockholm in recent years and never had a problem with insects in the city. If you go out into the forests you may have issues. I always find a high percentage DEET based solution works pretty well.
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 19th Jun 17, 2:27 PM
    • 8,670 Posts
    • 10,331 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:27 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:27 PM
    Isn't there a Avon moisturizer that people like the SAS swear by as an insect repellent?

I'm sure I read that somewhere?
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 19th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    • 16,793 Posts
    • 25,565 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    Isn't there a Avon moisturizer that people like the SAS swear by as an insect repellent?

Originally posted by Toothsmith
    You just beat me. Avon skin so soft is very good.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 19th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    • 4,756 Posts
    • 3,490 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    Insect repellents with DEET do work
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • no.1swimmum
    • By no.1swimmum 19th Jun 17, 3:12 PM
    • 1,386 Posts
    • 3,848 Thanks
    no.1swimmum
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:12 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:12 PM
    I second Avon's skin so soft - a few years ago when in Florida, we went on a nighttime Alligator hunt - we laughed when the organiser handed around the avon spray - but lo and behold it works brilliantly.

I also believe that fishermen (i.e. those with a line and rod - not deep sea) swear by it, I might be wrong but I am sure that I have heard Chris Tarrant singing its praises in an online video.

• pogofish
    • By pogofish 19th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 7,127 Posts
    • 7,145 Thanks
    pogofish

Originally posted by Toothsmith
    Urban myth! - SOS is quite useless after the short initial burst of solvent evaporation, which is common to most cosmetic liquids - and yes, I have sat beside people with a case of the stuff, constantly slathering themselves in it because it lost effectiveness so fast.

Even the DEET-laced version Avon launched a few years later as a cash-in is only middling in its effectiveness.

Also, as the OP is going to Scandinavia, they may be faced with other biting insects that respond better to different repellants compared to this country. I have a vague memory that the Deer and Elk Flies common there responded better to the Icaridin used in products like Autan - so maybe a strong DEET product with some Autan on-top? Although I think Jungle Formula contains both - but its a horrible repellant to use and a lot of people are irritated by it.
    Last edited by pogofish; 19-06-2017 at 3:19 PM.
    • Tolteca87
    • By Tolteca87 19th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    • 1,006 Posts
    • 2,622 Thanks
    Tolteca87
    Jungle Formula is the only thing that woks for me and I'm a mossie magnet who ulcerates when bitten, The roll-on is good for ensuring good coverage but is strong and should be kept away from Lycra, as it ruins it.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 19th Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    • 7,649 Posts
    • 24,940 Thanks
    fairy lights
    You just beat me. Avon skin so soft is very good.
    Originally posted by Torry Quine
    I've just ordered a bottle of this on the back of recommendations from several keen gardeners - they swear it keeps all kinds of creepy crawlies at bay.
    Even if it doesn't work, at least I'll have lovely soft legs
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 19th Jun 17, 4:56 PM
    • 7,786 Posts
    • 4,610 Thanks
    teddysmum
    If you are lucky,as you get older they will lose their taste for you.

As a child I was always covered in bites and I recall an nasty horse fly bite, as an adult, back in 1982, but have had no bites since.
    • Torry Quine
    • By Torry Quine 19th Jun 17, 5:05 PM
    • 16,793 Posts
    • 25,565 Thanks
    Torry Quine
    I've just ordered a bottle of this on the back of recommendations from several keen gardeners - they swear it keeps all kinds of creepy crawlies at bay.
    Even if it doesn't work, at least I'll have lovely soft legs
    Originally posted by fairy lights
    It helps me with the dreaded midgie.
    Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving . Albert Einstein.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
    • Miró
    • By Miró 19th Jun 17, 5:16 PM
    • 5,358 Posts
    • 22,222 Thanks
    Miró
    Insect repellents with DEET do work
    Originally posted by heatherw_01
    Not for me they don't!

I have come to the conclusion that for some people nothing works! I have tried all the mozzy lotions and potions known to man, woman, Boots and the internet and nothing works for me. As well as using all the pluggy-in things when indoors I have also tried eating Marmite, garlic, vitamin B1 tablets and using Avon Skin-So-Soft. Even managed to get hold of some stuff that the US army used in Vietnam...all it did was eat my sunglasses frames and watchband.

Now I always make sure I take some antibiotic tablets with me as I usually get at least one infected bite.
    Last edited by Miró; 19-06-2017 at 5:18 PM.
    Earth cannot be flat...if it was cats would have knocked everything off by now
    • indsty
    • By indsty 19th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 858 Thanks
    indsty
    Avon Skin so Soft - popular with the army guys, and anyone on the Scottish moors - the midgies hate it. I used it in the Far East and it worked a treat - seemed to last effectively for several hours.
    • Kunoichi73
    • By Kunoichi73 20th Jun 17, 11:08 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Kunoichi73
    For mosquito protection, you could try spraying this stuff on your clothing:

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/lifesystems-ex4-anti-mosquito-spray-e7224033?id_colour=180

I used it last year in Nepal and it worked really well (in combination with the DEET).
    • juliettet
    • By juliettet 20th Jun 17, 12:25 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 2,951 Thanks
    juliettet
    I used the M&S one in the green bottle in May in Canada. Not one bite this time despite record levels of mosquitos after all the spring rain.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 20th Jun 17, 1:05 PM
    • 3,263 Posts
    • 2,485 Thanks
    sheramber
    I used to buy stuff locally as it would be geared to the local conditions and beasties.
    • catkins
    • By catkins 20th Jun 17, 8:33 PM
    • 5,373 Posts
    • 11,195 Thanks
    catkins
    If you are lucky,as you get older they will lose their taste for you.

As a child I was always covered in bites and I recall an nasty horse fly bite, as an adult, back in 1982, but have had no bites since.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    I am in my 60's now and in fact the bites have got more frequent as I get older.

A couple of summers ago in the South of France I got bitten all over my legs, arms and face. A bite on my face and one on my leg got infected and my face and leg swelled up terribly. I had to find a Dr there
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,177Posts Today

7,481Users online

Martin's Twitter