Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Corona
    • By Corona 19th Jun 17, 1:46 PM
    • 777Posts
    • 677Thanks
    Corona
    No apples on my tree
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:46 PM
    No apples on my tree 19th Jun 17 at 1:46 PM
    When we moved into this house 20 years ago there was an apple tree (eventually identified as Newton Wonder) which has given us a good crop of apples ever since. However, this year, for the first time, there''s not a single one. None have even formed.

I did wonder if it was due to the dry weather (but wouldn't that have made them just drop?) But the other thing that occurred to me is that, for the first time this year, bees have taken over one of our nest boxes (normally inhabited by blue tits). Could there be a connection? otherwise, can anyone suggest what's happened?
Page 1
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 19th Jun 17, 1:54 PM
    • 394 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:54 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:54 PM
    I was concerned that a lack of pollinators in my garden at the beginning of the year would cause my trees not to fruit but I needn't have worried as I have loads in the garden since I've planted a few choice flowers.

I would have thought the presence of bees would be good?
    • Farway
    • By Farway 19th Jun 17, 2:09 PM
    • 5,278 Posts
    • 5,733 Thanks
    Farway
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:09 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:09 PM
    Seems a fairly common problem this year around here. Loads of blossom everywhere, but not many apples to show for it now despite fine days at the time

There were some chill wind at times so perhaps frosted without spotting it?
    • Auntie-Dolly
    • By Auntie-Dolly 19th Jun 17, 4:43 PM
    • 938 Posts
    • 1,150 Thanks
    Auntie-Dolly
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:43 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:43 PM
    We did have a late frost that might have done for your apples this year.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 19th Jun 17, 5:17 PM
    • 4,373 Posts
    • 44,248 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:17 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:17 PM
    The bees should have been beneficial, not a problem. We had very few flowers on the apple tree this year, so there won't be any apples at all on ours.

The other possible problem could also be a different fertility one. I think there should be two apple trees relatively close geographically. If you only have one there is a possibility that there was another one nearby which has died or been cut down. We happen to have a crabapple, or we wouldn't have had any apples at all!
    Keeping it AF
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 19th Jun 17, 5:26 PM
    • 2,058 Posts
    • 1,948 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:26 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:26 PM
    Apples are not normally self fertile - they need another apple tree in the vicinity for the bees etc to carry pollen from to fruit. Many people with just 1 tree, have another suitable pollinator in the garden like a crab apple - or indeed a neighbour with an apple tree. Are you aware of any trees/ crab apple shrubs being removed in your immediate vicinity?

However, not withstanding the above - I have two apple trees that pollinate each other and this year - for the first time ever - one of them has no apples at all despite them both having (as did all fruit trees this year) the most magnificent display of blossom I have witnessed in decades. So - looks like 'its a thing' this year. I wouldn't worry as long as the rest of the tree looks ok.

Technically, apples are biennial anyway - if you had a bumper crop last year - then the tree is probably just taking a rest.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 19th Jun 17, 6:44 PM
    • 22,613 Posts
    • 87,488 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:44 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:44 PM
    I agree with Auntie-Dolly. Many of us had a late frost. It was quick to clear, but it knocked some of my hardy trees right back and they lost all their first leaves. It's possible blossom was affected too.
    Last edited by Davesnave; 19-06-2017 at 6:46 PM.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • savemoney
    • By savemoney 19th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 12,803 Posts
    • 11,420 Thanks
    savemoney
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    One of my allotment apple trees didn't bare fruit last year, no idea why but the other next door only around 6 foot away did. This year both bare fruit despite late frost. I fed my trees this year with Sulphate of Potash which suppose to be good for fruit trees/bushes.
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 19th Jun 17, 8:41 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    arbrighton
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:41 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:41 PM
    There was a heavy frost just when most apple blossom was out. We got away with it somehow and have fruit on all our trees, but that's the most likely issue I think.
    Bees would help but for no fruit to form at all, suggests no blossom
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 20th Jun 17, 8:04 AM
    • 394 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    It must just be me who has been unaffected then - I do have a very sheltered garden
    • arbrighton
    • By arbrighton 20th Jun 17, 12:18 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 1,792 Thanks
    arbrighton
    It must just be me who has been unaffected then - I do have a very sheltered garden
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    No, all our trees set fruit, somehow, despite that heavy frost very late on
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

290Posts Today

4,607Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin