Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elsmandino
    • By elsmandino 19th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    • 83Posts
    • 4Thanks
    elsmandino
    0 WOW
    Private/Public beaches in Europe
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:45 PM
    0 WOW
    Private/Public beaches in Europe 19th Jun 17 at 1:45 PM
    Hello,

My partner and I, until our 2 1/2 year old was born, always stayed in all-inclusive in the Carribean (plus a couple of times in Mauritius and once in Bali).

At each hotel, the beach in front of the hotel seemed to be owned by the actual hotel - the sun loungers were owned by the hotel, security staff monitored the beach, hotel staff served drinks on the beach etc.

We have decided to stay in Europe until my son is old enough to accept the much longer travel times.

Last year, we stayed in Mallorca and although it was a fantastic hotel, the beach was public. Not only did we have to hire sun loungers each day, but no staff seemed to visit the beach at all. As the beach was not an insignificant distance from the hotel bars, it made getting ice-creams/drinks to my family a bit of a pain.

I was just wondering whether my experience was due to different laws in ownership in Mallorca/Europe or whether we just happened to pick a hotel that was not the best for beach lovers.

Thanks
Page 1
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 19th Jun 17, 2:01 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:01 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:01 PM
    No, your experience was due to booking a hotel that did not own the beech, You may have to pay more but there are hotels that have private beeches across Europe.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 19th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 29,360 Posts
    • 18,565 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    I agree with sparks, you just picked a hotel that didnt own the beach, Im sure there are plenty.
    Je Suis Charlie
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 19th Jun 17, 3:52 PM
    • 621 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    ibizafan
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:52 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 3:52 PM
    It could be something common to Spain. In Ibiza the beaches are public as well. I've a feeling Italy is similar.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 19th Jun 17, 4:19 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:19 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:19 PM
    All beaches in Spain are public, as they should be. Unless a Supreme Court ruling has changed, Italian beaches are public as well.
    Most beaches have bars near them to buy drinks and ice cream.
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 19th Jun 17, 4:22 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    Shelldean
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:22 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:22 PM
    Google. I just did. Searched private beach hotel. Didn't even add Europe.
    Majorca, Crete and Algarve are first three results

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=private+beach+hotel&oq=private+hotel+beac h&aqs=chrome.3.69i57j0l15.8148j0j4&sourceid=silk&i e=UTF-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=1etHWc_4GaiNgAak0bcY
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 19th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    • 1,187 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:57 PM
    All google is doing is picking up the words private and beach. It doesn't necessarily mean the hotels have a private beach in the sense that it belongs to the hotel, that no one other than guests can use it and that sun beds etc are free. I don't know whether Greek or Portuguese laws allow beaches to be private, but they certainly don't in Spain.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 19th Jun 17, 11:29 PM
    • 18,128 Posts
    • 41,380 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:29 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:29 PM
    Lots of hotels with direct beach access in Crete.

Whether they are actually 'private' beaches or whether the hotels are allowed to used allocated sections of a public beach I don't know, but hotel guests don't have to pay for facilities on the beach that is adjacent to their hotel.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • elsmandino
    • By elsmandino 20th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    elsmandino
    • 20th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 1:10 PM
    Thank you all for your input on this - I did try googling "private beaches in Europe" and came up with a similar search. I got the impression that it was showing beaches that were secluded as opposed to privately-owned.

I guess my best bet is to do my research a little better and perhaps ask a few questions, about specific hotels, on Trip Advisor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,673Posts Today

9,313Users online

Martin's Twitter