Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Johanno
    • By Johanno 19th Jun 17, 1:04 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Johanno
    Am I not eligible for Universal Credit until after my last wage payment?
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:04 PM
    Am I not eligible for Universal Credit until after my last wage payment? 19th Jun 17 at 1:04 PM
    I have been made redundant and my last day of work was Friday. I am due to get my last wages, including outstanding holiday (and hopefully my statutory redundancy pay) on the 28th of this month.
    Because of the above I answered Yes to the question “Are you expecting take-home pay of £338 or more in the next month?” and was told “You cannot claim Universal Credit”
    Does this mean I am not entitled to anything for the period between now and 7 days (the “waiting period”) after I get my last pay packet?
Page 1
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 19th Jun 17, 1:39 PM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 3,646 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:39 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:39 PM
    Your assumption seems reasonable. You will be paid up to the 28th so why would there be any entitlement to UC before that date? The 7 day waiting period will also apply. You won't normally get your first UC payment until between 4 and 6 weeks after making the claim.
    • Johanno
    • By Johanno 19th Jun 17, 2:17 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Johanno
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:17 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:17 PM
    I won't be paid up until the 28th, i will be paid up until the 16th. I just won't receive the money until the 28th.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 19th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    • 7,799 Posts
    • 4,618 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    By 28th you will not have had any drop in income and could have an increase, due to the addition of holiday pay, so there is no entitlement to benefit.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 19-06-2017 at 4:14 PM.
    • Johanno
    • By Johanno 19th Jun 17, 7:24 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Johanno
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:24 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:24 PM
    By the 28th, I will also have been out of work and not earning for nearly 2 weeks (assuming I haven't found work). It seems like I'm losing benefits just because I finished my job in the middle of the month rather than the end!
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 19th Jun 17, 7:55 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 2,110 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:55 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:55 PM
    Do you normally get paid on the 28th of each month?
    • Johanno
    • By Johanno 20th Jun 17, 12:16 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Johanno
    • 20th Jun 17, 12:16 AM
    • 20th Jun 17, 12:16 AM
    Yes I do. Is that relevant?
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 20th Jun 17, 10:24 AM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 2,110 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    • 20th Jun 17, 10:24 AM
    • 20th Jun 17, 10:24 AM
    Yes I do. Is that relevant?
    Originally posted by Johanno
    Yes, of course it is.

There's no difference between this month and any other month then is there. You have your wages from 28th May which will last you until you get paid again as normal on 28th June.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 20th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 7,799 Posts
    • 4,618 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 20th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    Yes, of course it is.

There's no difference between this month and any other month then is there. You have your wages from 28th May which will last you until you get paid again as normal on 28th June.
    Originally posted by Cheeky_Monkey

There will also be some holiday pay and redundancy money, so no hardship.

Am I correct in assuming that , when staring work the benefit is paid to cover until pay is received ?
    • Johanno
    • By Johanno 20th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Johanno
    Yes, of course it is.

Originally posted by Cheeky_Monkey
    Did I mention at any point that I was worried that my wages this month wouldn't last me? That's not what my question or my point relates to at all. I am asking if I am entitled to any benefits for the time since Friday 16th June, when I finished working.
    Last edited by Johanno; 20-06-2017 at 1:45 PM. Reason: put quote in for clarity
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 20th Jun 17, 1:48 PM
    • 881 Posts
    • 750 Thanks
    poppy12345
    You've already been adviced that because of your pay which is due to you on 28th June you won't be entitled to any benefits. There's a certain amount of money the law says you need to live on and because of your pay which is due to you you're not entitled to benefits.
    • jamesmorgan
    • By jamesmorgan 20th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    • 340 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    jamesmorgan
    UC timetables are quite complex (and certainly more complex than tax credits which were based on annual income). UC splits the year into monthly assessment periods and looks at income in each of these periods. Unless you are self-employed, income is treated as the amount and date the money is received and not the period being worked for. To maximise your UC payments it makes sense to put in your claim 7 days before your last salary payment. You won't get any UC payments until 6 weeks after your claim, but this should be balanced by the period you start your next job - when you should continue receiving payments until your first salary payment.

The following link explains this in a bit more detail.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-different-earning-patterns-and-your-payments/universal-credit-different-earning-patterns-and-your-payments-payment-cycles
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 20th Jun 17, 2:45 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 2,110 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    Did I mention at any point that I was worried that my wages this month wouldn't last me? That's not what my question or my point relates to at all. I am asking if I am entitled to any benefits for the time since Friday 16th June, when I finished working.
    So why do you think that you should receive benefits if you have enough money to last until your big payout?

So, in answer to your question, no of course you're not entitled to any benefits from 16 - 28 June.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 20th Jun 17, 3:11 PM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 3,646 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    The relevant point is the UC question about amount of income. UC will take your final income and make a calculation based on that amount to determine elegibility to UC. In this instance the amount the OP will receive as final pay from employment converts to more than the weekly amount which would be paid on UC.
    It isn't a simple case that being paid on the 28th automatically precludes claiming UC before that date. The OP has asked a simple question so I really don't understand the aggression in some of the replies. That said, it's sadly far from unusual!
    • Johanno
    • By Johanno 20th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Johanno
    UC timetables are quite complex (and certainly more complex than tax credits which were based on annual income). UC splits the year into monthly assessment periods and looks at income in each of these periods. Unless you are self-employed, income is treated as the amount and date the money is received and not the period being worked for. To maximise your UC payments it makes sense to put in your claim 7 days before your last salary payment. You won't get any UC payments until 6 weeks after your claim, but this should be balanced by the period you start your next job - when you should continue receiving payments until your first salary payment.
    Originally posted by jamesmorgan
    Thank you jamesmorgan, for the link and for actually attempting to help me! I don't think it's possible to claim 7 days before though as the online form only asks if you are being paid any time in the next month and then closes you out if so.

It may be how I worded my initial post, which I wrote quickly, but people here seem to be getting hung up on my personal circumstances. I’m only trying to understand the terms correctly since the telephone helpline adviser I spoke to yesterday was not all that clear. I’ll try an example;

2 people, both earning the same amount, both always paid on the 28th

Person A;
    Work ends 27th June
    Last Pay c£1400 28th June
    Eligible to claim 28th June
    £1400 to last 6 weeks until Universal Credit payment

Person B:
    Work ends 2nd of June
    Last pay c£340 28th June
    Eligible to claim 28th June
    £340 to last 6 weeks until Universal Credit payment

Also, Person A earns Universal Credit 7 days from when they are unemployed (including waiting period) but Person B earns Universal Credit only after 33 days (including waiting period) after unemployment.

Effectively, you are penalised if your job finishes further away from your next payment? Is that correct?
    Last edited by Johanno; 20-06-2017 at 8:51 PM.
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 20th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 2,110 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    By the 28th, I will also have been out of work and not earning for nearly 2 weeks (assuming I haven't found work). It seems like I'm losing benefits just because I finished my job in the middle of the month rather than the end!
    This is why I have responded in that way - the OP seems to think they are 'entitled' to benefits even though they have already been advised that they don't qualify as they are expecting more than enough money within the next month.
    • Tammykitty
    • By Tammykitty 20th Jun 17, 3:34 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 975 Thanks
    Tammykitty
    I have been made redundant and my last day of work was Friday. I am due to get my last wages, including outstanding holiday (and hopefully my statutory redundancy pay) on the 28th of this month.
    Because of the above I answered Yes to the question “Are you expecting take-home pay of £338 or more in the next month?” and was told “You cannot claim Universal Credit”
    Does this mean I am not entitled to anything for the period between now and 7 days (the “waiting period”) after I get my last pay packet?

Can you ask your previous employer to pay your last payment before the normal monthly pay run?
    Weight Loss Challenge
    Start: 10th September 2016 - 49lbs to lose.
    Progress - 22/49 (3/12/16)

Restarted 8/05/17 - 41lbs to lose (Managed to put 1 stone on in 4 months!) Progress 6/41 (13/05/17)
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 20th Jun 17, 5:38 PM
    • 3,578 Posts
    • 3,646 Thanks
    TELLIT01

Effectively, you are penalised if your job finishes further away from your next payment? Is that correct?
    Not really. In both the examples you gave the person would have received more in their final pay than UC would pay on a weekly basis. UC would take those earning into account £ for £ and therefore there is no entitlement to UC for that period. It wouldn't make any difference to UC entitlement whether the amount from the final pay was £1 or £1000 over the limit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,102Posts Today

9,136Users online

Martin's Twitter