Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SouthCoastSkies
    • By SouthCoastSkies 19th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 76Thanks
    SouthCoastSkies
    first time LL - deposit confirmation
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    first time LL - deposit confirmation 19th Jun 17 at 12:21 PM
    I'm a first time LL so decided to use a lettings agency to manage my flat. I have asked for confirmation that the new tenants' deposit has been placed in one of the schemes, but they have refused to let me have a copy of the confirmation of deposit, saying that there are details on there that they are not allowed to share with me.

Am I being overly concerned about not seeing a copy of the original ? It's my neck on the line if the deposit isn't protected, but all the LA will say is that "it's protected" but not give out further details. Would it be enough to write a statement with tenants names, tenancy start date, deposit amount & date of deposit, address etc?

TIA
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 19th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 14,640 Posts
    • 14,394 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    I'm a first time LL so decided to use a lettings agency to manage my flat. I have asked for confirmation that the new tenants' deposit has been placed in one of the schemes, but they have refused to let me have a copy of the confirmation of deposit, saying that there are details on there that they are not allowed to share with me.

Am I being overly concerned about not seeing a copy of the original ? It's my neck on the line if the deposit isn't protected, but all the LA will say is that "it's protected" but not give out further details.

TIA
    Originally posted by SouthCoastSkies

There can be absolutely no details on there which you are not entitled to.

They are your agents. Remind them of this fact. (they work for you)
    • SouthCoastSkies
    • By SouthCoastSkies 19th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    SouthCoastSkies
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:26 PM
    Thank you ! I feel the same way, but being new to the business of being a LL was unsure whether things like bank account details were on there perhaps
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 19th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 14,640 Posts
    • 14,394 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    Thank you ! I feel the same way, but being new to the business of being a LL was unsure whether things like bank account details were on there perhaps
    Originally posted by SouthCoastSkies

They may be, but that isn't really an issue. You are bound by the DPA just like your agents are. You are the principle, they cannot withhold information from you in relation to this tenancy.

A firm:

"Provide me with the required documentation or I shall no longer be requiring your services" - should help.
    • SouthCoastSkies
    • By SouthCoastSkies 19th Jun 17, 12:39 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    SouthCoastSkies
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:39 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:39 PM

A firm:

"Provide me with the required documentation or I shall no longer be requiring your services" - should help.
    Originally posted by Guest101
    it may just be the shortest managment agreement yet !
    • The_Logans
    • By The_Logans 19th Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    • 234 Posts
    • 176 Thanks
    The_Logans
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:36 PM
    Have you checked with your tenants if they have received anything? They should have received details of what scheme their deposit was registered in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

89Posts Today

2,855Users online

Martin's Twitter