Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lulubellina
    • By Lulubellina 19th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lulubellina
    Gift voucher rules
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:21 PM
    Gift voucher rules 19th Jun 17 at 12:21 PM
    Hi - I was sent a 10% discount code as a 'birthday gift' from my local posh beauty salon.

My sister very generously sent me a £50 and a £20 gift vouchers to spend at said salon.

When I came to pay for my treatment with the gift voucher I was told I could not use the 10% inducement the salon itself had sent me in combination with the Gift Voucher.

I disputed this over several weeks, since it seemed to me illogical. If my sister had given me cash I might have used it elsewhere - they already had the money in their hot little hands - it was not as though I was asking for two special offers. The salon say it's all legal. It is in their T and Cs but I cannot understand how that can be.

What is your opinion please?
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Last edited by Lulubellina; 19-06-2017 at 12:28 PM.
Page 1
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 19th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    • 2,994 Posts
    • 5,177 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:34 PM
    It is perfectly legal and quite common for vouchers or offers to have the term "not to be used in conjunction with any other offers".

Have you read the T&Cs? Does it say something like that in there?
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 19th Jun 17, 1:39 PM
    • 10,954 Posts
    • 8,214 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:39 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:39 PM
    It is perfectly legal and quite common for vouchers or offers to have the term "not to be used in conjunction with any other offers".

Have you read the T&Cs? Does it say something like that in there?
    Originally posted by Fosterdog
    I wouldn't class gift vouchers as an offer though - its prepayment rather than an offer.

If it says that the offer can't be used when paying by voucher, thats another matter.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 19th Jun 17, 4:19 PM
    • 2,397 Posts
    • 1,581 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:19 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:19 PM
    What a poor customer experience ..

Its probly not worth the effort over £7 tbh - Just make sure you give them their £7 worth of bad publicity
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 19th Jun 17, 5:35 PM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 18,272 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:35 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:35 PM
    it seemed to me illogical. If my sister had given me cash I might have used it elsewhere - they already had the money in their hot little hands
    Originally posted by Lulubellina

Actually, it seems perfectly logical to me.

As you point out, with cash you may have gone elsewhere, so a 10% reduction may encourage you to use this place over a competitor.

With a gift voucher you have no choice over where to spend it. You either use their service or lose out. As they already have your money, they probably couldn't care less if you used their services or not!

Still, it's poor customer service and will no doubt make you not use them again, but sadly good customer service is not a legal requirement.

• gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 19th Jun 17, 9:17 PM
    • 2,458 Posts
    • 5,353 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:17 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:17 PM
    I have a similar offer from my hairdressers every birthday.

I'm with the OP with this one...I wouldn't class using vouchers as taking advantage of an additional offer - nor, I suspect any reasonable person.

But as has been stated it sounds more like bad customer service than anything illeagal
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - the Argos Card!
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 19th Jun 17, 9:21 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:21 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:21 PM
    What a terrible way to treat a customer! it would be interesting to see their terms and conditions. Is there a link that you can paste?

While it is common for companies to say that you can't use money off vouchers or discount codes in conjunction with other offers, it does seem a little steep to suggest that this applies to gift vouchers as well. That's why it would be good to see a copy of their full t&cs. If it's there in black and white, then fair play to the company. I would suggest it's very petty of the company if it is there, but at least legally they are in the clear.

If it's not in their t&cs then I would suggest that you have a very good case to argue and that others on here can help formulate a response should you need it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

1,296Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin