Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Be Happy
    • By Be Happy 19th Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    • 1,125Posts
    • 491Thanks
    Be Happy
    Keysafe - insurance wording?
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:19 PM
    Keysafe - insurance wording? 19th Jun 17 at 12:19 PM
    My husband is being set up on our council Community Alarm Service where he can contact a designated keyholder or the emergency services if necessary while he is alone in the house.

I have been advised to have a keysafe fitted so that emergency services can get quick access if called. I have heard that this may invalidate some insurance policies, so I contacted our Insurance Company to clarify. (The keysafe code will be held by the Community Alarm Service.)

Im trying to get my head round the answer received, noted below - does it mean that if a burglar tries to work out the key code and strikes lucky (does not break into the keysafe), the house insurance would not pay out?

"In reference to Key safes are boxes on the wall outside a property, containing a set of house keys Only authorised people can access, either by a lock or number pad, so that they can get into the house in emergency situations. We’ll accept these as long as the box is accessed by authorised people only.
    As long as it is only authorised people accessing them then we can accept this and your policy will not be affected."

It's the wording about the box being accessed by authorised people only that confuses me.

EDIT: I've had another e-mail from a different person in Insurance Company. Not sure if it's any clearer: -

"I can confirm that a key wall safe is covered under this policy as long as only authorised people know the code and have access to this."
    Last edited by Be Happy; 19-06-2017 at 12:53 PM.
Page 1
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 19th Jun 17, 1:23 PM
    • 958 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:23 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:23 PM
    It basically says that if someone else (who you didn't give the code to) finds out the code, steals your key, and gains entry, you aren't covered for that incident.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 19th Jun 17, 5:45 PM
    • 20,230 Posts
    • 12,473 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:45 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:45 PM
    It basically says that if someone else (who you didn't give the code to) finds out the code, steals your key, and gains entry, you aren't covered for that incident.
    Originally posted by FutureGirl
    I disagree.

It is very badly worded but I believe their intention is that you are covered providing only people who you authorise have access to the key safe eg are given the key code.

If the code is passed onto people that you have not authorised then there is no cover.

However as you can see future girl and I interpret their wording in different ways so you need to get them to clarify the situation.

As well as clarification of their intention, ask them to define what they mean by an "Authorised Person"
    • Be Happy
    • By Be Happy 19th Jun 17, 6:24 PM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    Be Happy
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:24 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:24 PM
    Thanks. I agree wording is confusing. I will have to contact them and specify what happens if burglar tries various numbers on keypad and hits on code by chance.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 19th Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    • 958 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    I disagree.

It is very badly worded but I believe their intention is that you are covered providing only people who you authorise have access to the key safe eg are given the key code.

If the code is passed onto people that you have not authorised then there is no cover.
    Originally posted by dacouch
    That is what I have said though?
    • Be Happy
    • By Be Happy 23rd Jun 17, 10:02 AM
    • 1,125 Posts
    • 491 Thanks
    Be Happy
    • 23rd Jun 17, 10:02 AM
    • 23rd Jun 17, 10:02 AM
    That is what I have said though?
    Originally posted by FutureGirl
    Difference is in having been 'told' the code and 'stealing' the code.
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 24th Jun 17, 6:48 PM
    • 958 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 24th Jun 17, 6:48 PM
    • 24th Jun 17, 6:48 PM
    Nope. I've definitely said the same thing.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 26th Jun 17, 2:12 PM
    • 25,877 Posts
    • 10,303 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 26th Jun 17, 2:12 PM
    • 26th Jun 17, 2:12 PM
    The 2 posts do seem to be saying the same thing to me also.

ie give your carers the code its OK. Your covered.

If your carer gives the number out to a 3rd party or a 3rd party guesses or just randomly keeps trying until it unlocks then your not covered.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,565Posts Today

9,256Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin