Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • danfearn77
    • By danfearn77 19th Jun 17, 11:09 AM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    danfearn77
    New Credit Card application using old electoral details.
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:09 AM
    New Credit Card application using old electoral details. 19th Jun 17 at 11:09 AM
    Hi all.

Sorry if this has been discussed I couldn't find anything. I've just recently moved into a new build property and the address isn't yet fully registered on all companies/websites. Not only that i won't be on the electoral register for another 6 weeks. Bad timing as my 0% credit card is up in 2 weeks and need to be able to get furniture etc. I know if I search and apply using my new address I'll likely be refused as I won't be on the electoral register, but what if I used my parents address who I lived with beforehand before I moved out a Few weeks back? Using the pre approval tools and my mum and dads address I'm pre approved on most cards, but when I go to do a full application will they know what I'm up to?

Thanks!

Daniel
Page 1
    • robin58
    • By robin58 19th Jun 17, 11:26 AM
    • 1,644 Posts
    • 1,580 Thanks
    robin58
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:26 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:26 AM
    Yes most probably.

They have acess to many databases not just the electrical register.

If you changed address on your bank account to your new one, that will be out in the credit universe as that is part of your credit history.

Just to prove it. I once got asked for my driving licence number by my bank whilst enquiring a transaction on the service phone line to comfirm who I was.

I was not asked or gave that information on the original application form so it came from somewhere else.
    Last edited by robin58; 19-06-2017 at 11:33 AM.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 19th Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    • 4,039 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    If its pre approved they dont do another check
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 19th Jun 17, 12:41 PM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 1,667 Thanks
    Candyapple
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:41 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:41 PM
    If its pre approved they dont do another check
    Originally posted by bengalknights
    That's not true.

From MSE eligibility calc FAQ:

It’s worth noting that pre-approval is not a cast-iron guarantee that you’ll get the card. In exceptional circumstances you could be declined for other reasons – the bank still has to carry out some checks for identity and fraud purposes, and there’s a very small chance some will fail on these.
    Some recent examples:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5397670
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5387649
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

234Posts Today

3,457Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin