Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scunnygaz71
    • By scunnygaz71 19th Jun 17, 11:01 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    scunnygaz71
    Child trust fund advice
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:01 AM
    Child trust fund advice 19th Jun 17 at 11:01 AM
    Hi all. My daughters (13 and 11) have child trust fund accounts in the uk ftse 10 index tracking fund. Whilst these funds have been performing particularly well recently, I'm considering moving these elsewhere with the brexit un-certainty and my own worries about gambling with their funds as they get older and the market has less opportunity to bounce back from big falls.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated as i'm sure that there are parents out there with similar concerns.
    Thanking you in anticipation of your assistance.
Page 1
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 19th Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    • 6,086 Posts
    • 4,126 Thanks
    Reaper
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:07 PM
    You can convert it to savings account JISA, safe though the growth may disappoint after having been invested.

Alternatively if you are worried about Brexit then move it away from a UK only fund to more of a worldwide one, or switch companies if your current one does not offer such funds.
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 19th Jun 17, 12:17 PM
    • 3,075 Posts
    • 1,652 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:17 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:17 PM
    OP, where is the CTF held, which provider?

I am in a similar position with our DD around the same age as your eldest. The CTF is invested directly in a few stocks and depending on their performance over the next year or two I will either:
    1. Transfer the CTF to a cash/savings based account
    2. Sell existing investments and re-invest in Zero Dividend Preference shares for the remaining 'n' year(s)

EDIT: I appreciate that the ZDP shares option is likely not to be well known for most people.
    Last edited by cloud_dog; 19-06-2017 at 12:22 PM.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • scunnygaz71
    • By scunnygaz71 19th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    scunnygaz71
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    Thanks for replying. It was taken out with the halifax. There's approx 7k in one and 6k in the other.
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 19th Jun 17, 1:53 PM
    • 3,075 Posts
    • 1,652 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:53 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:53 PM
    Thanks for replying. It was taken out with the halifax. There's approx 7k in one and 6k in the other.
    Originally posted by scunnygaz71
    As your investment is limited to the available fund it looks like you only have two options, be invested or move to cash (CTF/JISA).

Alternatively, if you still want to retain full or a degree of investment, you could transfer it to JISA which may allow more flexibility, i.e. 50% invested, 50% just sitting in cash. There would be lots of other options in a provider that doesn't just offer a single or range of funds.
    Last edited by cloud_dog; 19-06-2017 at 2:24 PM.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 19th Jun 17, 2:44 PM
    • 22,013 Posts
    • 12,696 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:44 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 2:44 PM
    The accounts can be transferred to JISA which allows more flexibility.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/isa-manager-bulletin-65/guidance-transfer-of-a-child-trust-fund-to-a-junior-isa

https://www.gov.uk/junior-individual-savings-accounts/overview

https://www.charles-stanley-direct.co.uk/Our_Services/JISA/?utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CS D_Brand&gclid=CIOO3aeEytQCFeK37QodSRINRw

https://www.lovemoney.com/bestbuys/15106/the-best-junior-isas-201718
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,512Posts Today

9,333Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin