Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrUnknown
    • By MrUnknown 19th Jun 17, 8:51 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MrUnknown
    Overnight parking
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:51 AM
    Overnight parking 19th Jun 17 at 8:51 AM
    Hi

I was involved in a car accident (deemed my fault) and car was written off. Anyway had to claim on my own insurance, went fine gave me a offer which I accepted sent my V5 and spare key to them... Then they call me and say they have noticed on my black box I am parking regularly somewhere else. Now I do park at the address on my policy and in no way did I try to commit fraud when filling the policy out. I got a girlfriend and honestly just forgot to ring my insurance and tell them I would be parking at my girlfriends a fair few nights. Just really worried they are going to cancel my policy and I'm left with a big finance bill and cancelled insurance on my name. This is my first policy so i didn't even realise I had to ring and change the parking only now it's happened and I have been reading up about it do I realise I have been stupid.

The claim is with the underwriters and I should be contacted shortly according to my insurance just wondered if anyone had any advice on what to say? Not looking to lie to them just a way to explain my mistake .
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 19th Jun 17, 9:00 AM
    • 14,049 Posts
    • 14,741 Thanks
    zx81
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:00 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:00 AM
    You explain it as you have here.
    • mattk_180
    • By mattk_180 19th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 343 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    mattk_180
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    They usually want to know where you park it overnight whilst at the home address. It only becomes as issue if you are parking it elsewhere more than 50% of the time and it's a higher risk area.

As above, just tell them what you've just said, which is the honest truth.

They may put your quote through again based on the other address and charge an additional premium if it's more to insure it there but it sounds unlikely that they would go as far as rejecting the whole claim, especially if it wasn't at either address when the accident took place and doesn't involve theft.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,251Posts Today

6,663Users online

Martin's Twitter