Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • funnymonkey
    • By funnymonkey 19th Jun 17, 8:34 AM
    • 62Posts
    • 8Thanks
    funnymonkey
    How to get cheap movies on your tv?
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:34 AM
    How to get cheap movies on your tv? 19th Jun 17 at 8:34 AM
    I was wondering if you could please help me ?
    I am looking at getting movies on my tv but don't with to pay sky costs
    Can anyone please advise a cheaper alternative (Not P2P)
    Thank you
Page 1
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 19th Jun 17, 8:57 AM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 7,068 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:57 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:57 AM
    Well netflix is quite a bit cheaper If I remember correctly link a computer up to the telly . I think you could do it with a raspberry pi as I seem to remember people mentioning that as a way to watch netflix in the past, a bit of internet searching would probably bring up all sorts of alternatives.
    • funnymonkey
    • By funnymonkey 19th Jun 17, 9:36 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    funnymonkey
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:36 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:36 AM
    I have Netflix and Amazon but not much choice. Looking for something similar to sky or online streaming website.
    Thank you
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 19th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    • 1,878 Posts
    • 1,031 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:49 AM
    NowTV owned by Sky.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 19th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 9,849 Posts
    • 4,057 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    OP do you mean you want to watch movies essentially without paying for them ??
    • almillar
    • By almillar 19th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    • 7,088 Posts
    • 2,847 Thanks
    almillar
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 1:11 PM
    I have Netflix and Amazon but not much choice
    I think most people would disagree with this statement, with BOTH of these services!

What types of films are you lacking? Would you be better off renting individual films? Google Play allows you to subscribe/stream/buy TV and movies like these other two, but I don't know how much more choice there is. And the same goes for Apple's iTunes.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 19th Jun 17, 6:58 PM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 7,068 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:58 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:58 PM
    maybe you could look at VPNs and watch netflix from america. We did that when we had it and it was a much more interesting choice
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 19th Jun 17, 7:13 PM
    • 9,430 Posts
    • 8,995 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:13 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:13 PM
    Now TV box + 2 months Sky Cinema = £14.99 at Argos (£9.99 per month thereafter, no contract).

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4240251

Sky have a lot of new films and a somewhat eclectic back-catalog.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 20th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 8,517 Posts
    • 5,046 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 20th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    Now isn't a good alternative to Sky if your internet speed isn't good or if you don't to record for later viewing.

We struggled even with catchup via the tv , when our PlusNet broadband was playing up, but there was no problem,on taking a very good Sky offer, as films could be downloaded overnight, so the speed didn't matter.
    • craigr98
    • By craigr98 25th Jun 17, 8:35 AM
    • 166 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    craigr98
    All the movies are on demand so can't see why you would need a recording facility. Just stream them.
    • Li0nhead
    • By Li0nhead 27th Jun 17, 1:00 PM
    • 14,457 Posts
    • 31,359 Thanks
    Li0nhead
    Not sure of the legalities of it but I subscribe to a group on the site Reddit full moviesonyoutube:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fullmoviesonyoutube/
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 29th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    Now TV has all the Sky movies content but with no contract. If you buy a now TV box with free movie passes, the box is basically free. It's normally about £9 a month after, but I've had it for 8 months and paid much less than that. When you go to cancel online, you usually get a deal offered - I'm currently paying £3.99 a month until September. You do need a decent BB speed - I've had no problem but I'm on about 35mb download speed on average. Works the same way as Netflix for subscription and cancelling, and loads cheaper than normal Sky TV. Entertainment pass is about £7 a month, and has some good stuff on plus lots of box sets if you are into that.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 29th Jun 17, 4:40 PM
    • 4,562 Posts
    • 1,887 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Now TV has all the Sky movies content but with no contract. If you buy a now TV box with free movie passes, the box is basically free. It's normally about £9 a month after, but I've had it for 8 months and paid much less than that. When you go to cancel online, you usually get a deal offered - I'm currently paying £3.99 a month until September. You do need a decent BB speed - I've had no problem but I'm on about 35mb download speed on average. Works the same way as Netflix for subscription and cancelling, and loads cheaper than normal Sky TV. Entertainment pass is about £7 a month, and has some good stuff on plus lots of box sets if you are into that.
    Originally posted by Bigphil1474
    Only downside is that films are not in HD
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 4th Jul 17, 1:49 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    dave - I tend not to notice tbh. Films I really want to enjoy in glorious HD I'll watch on blu ray through my projector, but the quality on streaming from Now TV tends to be no worse than Netflix which I'm supposed to be getting in HD.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 4th Jul 17, 2:23 PM
    • 2,786 Posts
    • 2,792 Thanks
    cjdavies
    I activated Now TV as part of a 14 day trail, looks impressive.

I had entertainment 14 day trail, went to cancel on last day and they offered £33.50 for 4 months, I assume the same as movies.

However quite odd at times, e.g. I watched Pirates of the Caribbean 1, 2 and 3. 4 was not available, same for other movies.
    Last edited by cjdavies; 04-07-2017 at 2:26 PM.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 7th Jul 17, 1:03 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    cj - doesn't sound like you have entertainment pass for 4 months - it's only about £7 a month anyway. Sounds like movie pass for 4 months which is normally about £9 a month?? The movies on Now TV are the same ones as on Sky Cinema, and the 4th movie isn't on there.
    I've found with Now Tv, if you go to cancel a pass you usually get an offer for 3 or 4 months. If not, I just cancel that pass for a while then try again in a few months, or wait for them to e-mail me with a new offer. It gives the content a chance to catch up. Only down side is with tv series on catch up as the individual episodes only last for 29 days. They soon come round again though.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 7th Jul 17, 1:23 PM
    • 2,786 Posts
    • 2,792 Thanks
    cjdavies
    cj - doesn't sound like you have entertainment pass for 4 months - it's only about £7 a month anyway. Sounds like movie pass for 4 months which is normally about £9 a month?? The movies on Now TV are the same ones as on Sky Cinema, and the 4th movie isn't on there.
    I've found with Now Tv, if you go to cancel a pass you usually get an offer for 3 or 4 months. If not, I just cancel that pass for a while then try again in a few months, or wait for them to e-mail me with a new offer. It gives the content a chance to catch up. Only down side is with tv series on catch up as the individual episodes only last for 29 days. They soon come round again though.
    Originally posted by Bigphil1474
    Oops I meant to say offered £3.50 a month.

14 trial has ended for movies today, cancel screen and now got it for £3.99 for 4 months
    Last edited by cjdavies; 08-07-2017 at 11:17 AM.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 11th Jul 17, 12:38 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    CJ - for info, I tried cancelling entertainment package at the weekend but no deals, but movies seem to be good for recurring offers - just set yourself a reminder for 7th November. You can attempt to cancel anytime in the last month (assuming you want the full 4 months) but you will retain access until the end of the month you've paid for whether you cancel or not.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 13th Jul 17, 8:59 AM
    • 696 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    Good news, tried again with the entertainment pack and got it for £3.49 a month for 4 months, so paying £7 a month for movies and entertainment at the moment.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Jul 17, 10:25 AM
    • 9,430 Posts
    • 8,995 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I had a free pass for Movies which I just cancelled to avoid being charged and it offered me a discount price of £3.99 pm for 4 months as part of the cancellation process.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter