Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 19th Jun 17, 4:47 AM
    • 1,253Posts
    • 17,488Thanks
    dumpling
    Old Style Daily Monday 19th June
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:47 AM
    Old Style Daily Monday 19th June 19th Jun 17 at 4:47 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
    September GC - £383.00/£550
Page 1
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 19th Jun 17, 5:00 AM
    • 1,253 Posts
    • 17,488 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:00 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:00 AM
    Good morning everyone

I am up early as I can't sleep as it is too hot. I have a fan on but it is just circulating warm air which doesn't help so I thought I would come downstairs and start us off.

DD17's camhs assessment is finally here. She has had to wait months to get one so I am really hopeful they will be able to help her. I will book a taxi at a a more reasonable hour and go in with her as she is feeling very anxious about it all.

Hubby had a great Father's Day as all four of his daughters chipped in to buy him a drone with a camera. He is planning to take it out soon to somewhere fairly secluded so he can practice flying it. He cooked a lovely tea as well of southern fried chicken and wedges, it was very yummy.

I haven't been too well recently and have let things slip a bit. I am planning an admin afternoon to catch up with all the paperwork that is outstanding as it is playing on my mind a lot. My blood sugars have been horrendous in this heat as well even though I am drinking what feels like gallons of water. I have to book an appointment today for a blood test as it has been 12 weeks since my last one.

I was planning to make a chicken casserole for tea but I think it is going to be far too warm to have the oven on for long so I might just make a salad and cook the chicken thighs in my instant pot with some lemon and garlic.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx
    September GC - £383.00/£550
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 19th Jun 17, 5:13 AM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 13,962 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:13 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:13 AM
    Morning all, thank you for starting us off Dumpling. I'm the same as you, too hot to sleep so I am downstairs, cooler down here.

After yesterday's fiasco, OH will fetch DS from the airport, I can't go as I am working and have an appointment at exactly the time he lands. May be able to cut the day short, I hope so.

I think there will be a lot of tetchy, sleep-deprived people at work today. At least we have air conditioning.

Hope everyone has a good day and that your daughter's CAHMS assessment goes well Dumpling.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Hard Up Hester
    • By Hard Up Hester 19th Jun 17, 6:32 AM
    • 3,172 Posts
    • 37,743 Thanks
    Hard Up Hester
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:32 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:32 AM
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread Dumpling, I hope you DD appointment goes well.

I'm off to work soon. at least I have aircon in my room.

Have a good day everyone.

Hugs Hester.
    Chin up, Titus out.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 19th Jun 17, 6:41 AM
    • 5,902 Posts
    • 34,882 Thanks
    Gers
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:41 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:41 AM
    Morning all.

Seems warm here but at least it's not raining.

There's a busy day ahead of me before I can set off home. Choosing a new loo, taking DM shopping, renewing car insurance for her, paying in her two PB wins and so on.

Happy Monday everyone.
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 19th Jun 17, 6:43 AM
    • 3,547 Posts
    • 41,183 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:43 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:43 AM
    Morning All

Hope all goes well this morning dumpling.

It's fairly warm here but the sun isn't out yet, hope it's not too far away.

Spent from 9 till 5 helping DD paint their kitchen yesterday, it was very hot but got it all painted, scrubbed and looking good. I, however, am broken! Every part of me aches.

Meeting friends after work for a catch up, looking forward to that.

Have a good week. Take care. XX
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 19th Jun 17, 6:45 AM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 38,842 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:45 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:45 AM
    Morning everyone

dumpling - thanks for starting us off and hope your dd's appointment goes well x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit. Will put washing out on the line shortly.

Dinner yesterday was a stuffed chicken joint with chips/jacket potato, beans/salad. Tonight we'll be having fish.

Had a lovely weekend, although it's too warm for me, I prefer it a bit cooler, although we shouldn't be moaning.

Back to work today for me, so pleased they've fixed our air con.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 19th Jun 17, 6:46 AM
    • 223 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:46 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:46 AM
    Good morning

Thanks for the thread dumpling, hope all goes well for your DD.

It's so hot, so plan for today is nothing.
    Do as little as possible and try and keep cool.

Hope every one has a good day.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • tru
    • By tru 19th Jun 17, 6:50 AM
    • 8,574 Posts
    • 43,161 Thanks
    tru
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:50 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:50 AM
    Morning

Good luck to your DD today dumpling xx

I've been keeping Scampi indoors after lunch, I let him out for a wee then call him straight back in. It takes three or four attempts then he relunctantly walks back in slowly, looking all sad. We needed the fan in the lounge yesterday, it usually stays quite cool in there but it was unbearable. Scampi didn't like the fan, I usually let him get used to things slowly but he needed it so I forced the issue, lol. He hated me for a while then seemed to realise it was helping him and flopped down in front of it for the next few hours

I'm going to run the hoover round first thing, go out for a walk then get some paperwork done. We'll be hiding out in the lounge again this afternoon, doing nothing except trying to keep cool

Bulletproof
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 19th Jun 17, 7:00 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 9,103 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Morning everyone,

Thank you for starting us off dumpling

I hope your dds CAMHS appointment goes well.

I had another lovely day with my family and we went out and about for the day stopping for a nice pub lunch. Then back to my brother’s house for afternoon tea. As soon as it cooled down we went for a walk down by the river and stopped for a drink at a lovely riverside pub before going back to his for a cold buffet type meal. My cousin dropped me back home on his way to the hotel they are staying at as it is in the town where I live.

Today I am meeting my cousin for lunch and then he and his wife set off for London to visit some friends they made when he worked over here for a year. I shall miss them, but it looks like we are all definitely going to Guernsey in a few weeks so I shall get to spend some more time with them before they go back to Canada.

I have got a load in the wm and want to get that on the line before I go out, and I need to pick up some milk on the way back this afternoon. I thought I had an emergency pint in the freezer but I must have used that and forgotten to replace it.

Time to go and get another cup of tea and something for breakfast.

I hope that you all have a good day whatever you are doing.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 19th Jun 17, 7:21 AM
    • 6,478 Posts
    • 89,653 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Hot here again I am off to work and no air con there, I cant tell you how hot it gets with the ovens fryers and different hot machines on, let alone 10 clients who are hyper / struggling with the heat, lets hope the day goes quick !

Not sure about dinner tonight will go and look in the freezer after this, we seem to be having salad stuff every day atm and have run out so might have to dash to the shop on my way home, I cant bear the thought of eating anything hot !

Dumpling hope all goes well today for your dd, I will be thinking of you xx

Right better get on have good days all xx
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 19th Jun 17, 7:26 AM
    • 1,730 Posts
    • 16,105 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning (((((((((( hugs )))))))))) if you need one.

Phew it's warm already, had to have the fan on in the sitting room and the bedroom yesterday, it was so hot. Restless night, was awake at 4 30.

Car goes for its MOT this morning, fingers crossed it passes. We had the disc brakes done so they should not be a problem. I bought it 9 years ago and we have had very few problems with it, so it owes me nothing.

Monday clean to do before it gets too hot, more strawberries to pick, it's been a bumper year. I priced them up yesterday in Lidl, I think we have picked about £20+ our neighbours have shared in the bounty......
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 19th Jun 17, 7:42 AM
    • 3,665 Posts
    • 22,239 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Morning folks and thanks for starting DUMPLING> Hope your DD's appointment goes well.

Like it is for the rest of you ,it's another very warm start here. I think after today it's going to cool down a bit. It was scorching in DD's garden yesterday for the BBQ but, fortunately for the "chef" (her BF!), the BBQ is at the top end in the shade. She gave Mr TA a lovely gift of a voucher for afternoon tea and Prosecco at a nice restaurant in Leeds. We will put that to good use that after our next hospital visit. Choccies and wine from DS.

We are thinking of going over to the caravan later for a few days. No childminding to be done this week and no appointments so why not make the best of the free time we thought. It'll be like stepping into a sauna after being shut up through the heatwave so, for what good it will do, will take the fan with us. I don't foresee much cooking getting done in there till it cools down! Lots of salady stuff going with us.

Before we go I want to try and chase up the Neurology appt for the results of Mr TA's nerve conduction studies. He is getting more and more unsteady on his feet and I am now fearing the worst of the possible outcomes. He got the appt through at the w/e for the second op on his Dupeytrens (?sp) contracture and we thought that would be the last to arrive. Still awaiting the date for the stent change and his 6 monthly Oncology scan. Life is the usual constant worry but we try to carry on as normal and enjoy life whilst he is fit enough.

Have a good day folks and (HUGS) for the poorlies, sad or worried who want one. If we do depart today will "see" you at the end of the week. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 19th Jun 17, 7:46 AM
    • 12,104 Posts
    • 34,892 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

So sad so see another terrorist attack this morning in London ...in some ways its good that they didn't kill him as we make sure punishment is given.

Phew its a scorcher again

Somehow managed to sleep through most of last night until my neighbour started his noisy van at 6.20 Very hot and sweaty though think I may be having a couple of showers today.

Had a nice day in the end yesterday despite the day ...Went for lunch with a good mate who has also lost her dad so we neither wanted to celebrate but she found a nice pub that had no banners/balloons and very few kids and we would not really have known until the end when they gave us the bill for 2 fixed menus and it said 2 Dads if i had known I could just buy a new one for 20 quid I would have done it weeks ago

Made some chicken and leek pies from the last of the Costco chicken last night and portioned up into ready meals for one but I shoved them in the freezer and may wait before giving one to mum after last week.

Paperwork again today for mum , work stuff to do as well then a sunbathe for me later today at this rate I will be easily finished my monthly book

Thinking of everyone affected by the London attack

TA Have a lovely trip and hope Mr TA gets his news soon
    Last edited by Nelski; 19-06-2017 at 7:49 AM.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 19th Jun 17, 8:14 AM
    • 1,664 Posts
    • 19,710 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for the thread Dumpling, fingers crossed for your DD's assessment x
    Hope you get some news soon TA

Hot here already, thermometer says 25 degrees, have just given the girls an ice-cube each and their paddling pool is filled up & ready in the shade. We had the fan on all night in the bedroom and managed some sleep, DOH was meant to be going to the cricket today but couldn't be bothered to get up early.
    I need to go into town to pay the vets bill and pick up a couple of bits, my weekly menu has been suspended as don't want the oven on so will grab some prawns and veg for a quick stir-fry.
    Have a good day folks x
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 19th Jun 17, 8:42 AM
    • 1,735 Posts
    • 13,592 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning all,

I hope everyone managed to have a nice weekend and enjoy some good weather.

Mine was spent mostly with family or friends - the way it should be. Little bit burnt on the back of my neck and arms, i'll never learn.

Been to the gym this morning and I've got some work errands to run this afternoon so no gym tonight. Not sure what I'll do to be honest. Chicken stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon with steamed veg for dinner tonight.

I hope everyone has a nice day
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • Judi
    • By Judi 19th Jun 17, 8:44 AM
    • 15,263 Posts
    • 62,548 Thanks
    Judi
    Morning all.

Rubbish start to the morning for me. Problems with Prodigal again.

Worried about Youngest.

Hubby doesn't escape my critical list either. He's not decided if he's going to work today yet he was 'broke' the weekend. Idiot.

Anyone got a spare room?

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 19th Jun 17, 9:38 AM
    • 15,479 Posts
    • 126,212 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning everyone ,wow its getting very warm again already Yesterday was gorgeous at Westgate ,even though it took us 2 hours to drive the 40 odd miles.Boy had a swim and I sat and read my book and watched the world go by.It was 29c when we were coming home at 5,30p.m. .Only took an hour and three quarters to get home though Son-in-law had done dinner and we ate in the garden as it was far too hot indoors.
    Today I am taking DGS Henry out to lunch as a treat for him finishing his GCSE's DGS Jack is stressing as he can't find his GCSE certificates from last year and the UCAS people are in his school today.He is convinced he won't be able to get into Uni without them.I told him to ask if the school has a copy of his results.He is such a scatterbrain at times.

DGS Ben is driving down to London with a pal from Uni where some of the boys have had a whip round for clothes and cash for the victims of the fire. These are broke students who just want to help a little.

Its so hot already I don't think I fancy anything cooked for breakfast I have a mango in the fridge and I think that chopped up with some yogurt will be more than enough for me .
    Hope you all have a good day and that your DDs CAMHS visit goes well Dumpling for your DD

Take care all in these troubled times

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 19th Jun 17, 10:33 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 4,943 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning everybody.
    Phew it's so hot here, already 27 degrees. Had the fan going in the lounge all day yesterday and one in the bedroom going all night. It's on again in the lounge today, will be dreading the electricity bill ! Still needs must as they say.
    Today will be a pottering day, as and when I can in this heat. This evening we will have to disconnect the old WM and I will clean out the cupboard under the sink as the pipes run through the back of it.
    TA and Dumpling thinking of you both today, hope all goes well for you.
    Judi hugs. I have a spare room, should you want it, but you will have to work your way round the cross trainer, which is slap bang in the middle of it. Bit of a nuisance I know, but it does a fantastic double up as a clothes horse I suppose we could sling a hammock over it, if that suits !
    Don't know what to have for tea tonight, probably salad as we must get back to the diets, again
    Right enough stalling, must go and do something.
    Enjoy your day all.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 19th Jun 17, 11:40 AM
    • 15,263 Posts
    • 62,548 Thanks
    Judi
    Judi hugs. I have a spare room, should you want it, but you will have to work your way round the cross trainer, which is slap bang in the middle of it. Bit of a nuisance I know, but it does a fantastic double up as a clothes horse I suppose we could sling a hammock over it, if that suits !
    Beggers cant be choosers. I suppose i ought to explain. Hubby has been to the dentist. Had a scale and polish and decided to go back to bed. No treatment was necessary.

Dumpling hope all goes well with your daughters' assessment.

TA i hope your husbands results come back favourable.

Right ive done the ritualistic vacuum cleaning throughout the house, i think i will go and have a cool bath.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

371Posts Today

4,787Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin