Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cashmere0008
    • By Cashmere0008 19th Jun 17, 12:24 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Cashmere0008
    Sold our home but new purchase is still in progress
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:24 AM
    Sold our home but new purchase is still in progress 19th Jun 17 at 12:24 AM
    Hi.
    We have sold and exchanged contracts for our home. Unfortunately our purchase is still in the early stages of conveyancing and may take up to 6-8 weeks. Completion for our current home is in less than 2 weeks so we have to move somewhere temporarily for about 2 months. Our buyer is unable to rent back to us.
    We have been looking for flats to rent but no one will do a short let. They all insist on at least 6 months. Please does anyone know the best way to go about this? Or any other option maybe?Any advice will be very much appreciated. Many thanks.
Page 1
    • karcher
    • By karcher 19th Jun 17, 12:36 AM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 13,028 Thanks
    karcher
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:36 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:36 AM
    Hi.
    We have sold and exchanged contracts for our home. Unfortunately our purchase is still in the early stages of conveyancing and may take up to 6-8 weeks. Completion for our current home is in less than 2 weeks so we have to move somewhere temporarily for about 2 months. Our buyer is unable to rent back to us.
    We have been looking for flats to rent but no one will do a short let. They all insist on at least 6 months. Please does anyone know the best way to go about this? Or any other option maybe?Any advice will be very much appreciated. Many thanks.
    Originally posted by Cashmere0008
    Holiday Let.
    Travel lodge/Premier Inn
    B&B
    Airbnb

All the above could be used as an interim home.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 19th Jun 17, 5:53 AM
    • 5,549 Posts
    • 5,232 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:53 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 5:53 AM
    I guess you'll also have to arrange storage for your furniture and belongings, but that isn't usually too difficult.

Edit to add...

I suspect that finding a Holiday Let, Airbnb etc that is still vacant throughout July and August may be a challenge - and it would be premium summer rates.

You could try googling 'short term lets' to see if there are other options in your area.
    Last edited by eddddy; 19-06-2017 at 6:22 AM.
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 19th Jun 17, 7:40 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:40 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:40 AM
    What about looking at a serviced apartment?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 19th Jun 17, 7:43 AM
    • 18,761 Posts
    • 14,469 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:43 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:43 AM
    Friends or family.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 19th Jun 17, 7:49 AM
    • 60,993 Posts
    • 356,268 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:49 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:49 AM
    What you find will depend on your location, but I managed to book a hotel room for 3 weeks at short notice in mid July at the seaside a few years back, for a really cheap price. They then had a booking for that room and said I had to leave, but could come back the following week for a further week, but, instead I found a flat to rent for a month on a "rooms to let" website....

You need to explore what's available and at what price in your local area. For a holiday let/private hotel I'd expect to pay about 1/3rd of their advertised rate if I were booking for 3-4 weeks... something very close to the cost of renting a studio flat plus the cost of the bills.

As it's summer.... you could always camp.
    • 3mph
    • By 3mph 19th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    • 197 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    3mph
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    We had similar an ended up with furniture to store and rented a house for 6 months. Which was fortunate as our purchase had hiccups and we also decided to have a fair bit of work done on the flat before moving in. It also removed some of the stress knowing we had a place to stay. But fortunately for us the cost was not a real issue. Although unless camping or with friends its worth doing a thorough budget since the difference might not be that great between 6 months and a short term.

One of our friends had offered their house for a month as they were away and in theory it was possible in timing but turns out with delays wouldn't have worked.

It also meant we could adopt a hard headed approach with our seller and insist on some things that should be done (registration if deed of variation etc) be done before we exchange.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 19th Jun 17, 10:29 AM
    • 15,389 Posts
    • 21,010 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:29 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:29 AM
    A friend of mine had the exact same thing and ended up living in a travelodge for a couple of months, then stayed with family at weekends.

The hotel had wifi, so as teachers they could do their lesson planning in the evening.

Travelodge were happy to negotiate a price as they knew it was going to be at least one month.

Another option is putting your stuff in storage and becmoing someone's lodger for a while. Try spareroom.co.uk or similar.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • ComicGeek
    • By ComicGeek 19th Jun 17, 11:04 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    ComicGeek
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:04 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:04 AM
    OMG, a whole list of posts on this forum that have actually provided good and helpful responses, rather than sarcastic comments telling the OP what they shouldn't have done...

Must be the heat affecting people's brains... will hopefully be back to normal tomorrow, not sure I can cope with this helpful attitude...
    • Cashmere0008
    • By Cashmere0008 19th Jun 17, 11:36 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Cashmere0008
    Thank you all so much for your very helpful advice, some of which we haven't thought of and will definitely consider. We have 3 very young kids including a 8 month old baby so our options may be a little bit limited. We will be storing most of our belongings and move light.
    Thanks again for your help.
    • aneary
    • By aneary 19th Jun 17, 11:51 AM
    • 817 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    aneary
    As it's summer if you live near a university you may be able to get something using that route as they can have flats empty over the summer?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

360Posts Today

2,963Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin