Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 19th Jun 17, 12:04 AM
    • 4,664Posts
    • 17,822Thanks
    FatVonD
    What small DFW things will you be doing this week? WC 19/3
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:04 AM
    What small DFW things will you be doing this week? WC 19/3 19th Jun 17 at 12:04 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    Lunches brought to work in August 15/22 Money saved to date £32.48 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal)

Make £10 a day in August £124.07/£310 (July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
Page 1
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 19th Jun 17, 12:18 AM
    • 4,664 Posts
    • 17,822 Thanks
    FatVonD
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:18 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 12:18 AM
    I wouldn't want anyone to think I stayed up until midnight to post but I stayed up until midnight

So, since my last post about feeling 'lighter' having got rid of some stuff I've just sorted washing pile number one and have thrown out everything that depresses me. A pair of pyjamas that were the only thing I could find to exchange an even more hideous jumper for, a pair of socks where just one of them went in the wash with a red dress, two checked teatowels that went like seersucker the first time they were washed. I won't be giving kon Marie a run for her money any time soon but it's a start.

I think my trouble is that I think it's wasteful to get rid of things and then I just have piles of stuff waiting to be ebayed, another for the charity shop, another for a boot sale etc etc and it's all just clutter.

What I have learned of late is that eBay isn't what it used to be and you may sell stuff at a boot sale but only if you are selling for a fraction of its worth. There is a place down the road that buys clothes by the kilo but I'm always at work so that just leaves the charity shop (who are unlikely to want my tonally mismatched socks anyway.)

So it is all in the recycling bin and there will be plenty more joining it!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 19th Jun 17, 7:15 AM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 11,964 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:15 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:15 AM
    Morning all thanks for the start FVD I know what you mean about stuff, think it's always nice to think you get can something for it but that's just not always possible and when it's like that it's better just to get rid than have it hanging around.

Anyone know if it's easy to take down a greeenhouse? I really would like one (but obviously not at full price ) and there are lots of them on fleabay fairly locally but they are all 'buyer to dismantle' and I don't want to not be able to take it down.

Lovely day again here today, albeit I'm at work, but WFH so can't complain. My list:
    Check banking, surveys, FPL
    Get chicken breast out of freezer so DH and I can have chicken Caesar salad for tea using ys lettuce and bargain avocado
    Water garden later when it's cooler, although one weather app suggests we may have some rain this evening that would save me a job
    Some sort of exercise
    Mop kitchen and bathroom if I have time
    Lots of work so rest of the week isn't so stressful
    Post fleabay item (listed for about 10th time - I knew it would go eventually )
    Check fridge and check nothing needs freezing/using up

Right, off to pack up school bags etc... enjoy your day.
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 19th Jun 17, 8:23 AM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 17,112 Thanks
    foxgloves
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:23 AM
    Purplefairy - Depends on the type of greenhouse. Ours is a basic aluminium frame one. We bought it new & put it together ourselves. Thinking backwards, you'd need to remove the glass, which is in panels held in place with glazing clips. Then the frame which is bolted together so you'd need some spanners. I would also take a selection of lidded pots to collect all the bolts, nuts, clips, etc. It is likely that you may lose 1 or 2 glazing panels but these are replaceable from glass companies & greenhouse glass isn't expensive. Something to ask the seller: How is the greenhouse currently set into the ground. The instructions for ours was to erect the basic corner poles & cross struts then to set the corner poles into holes before filling them with quick-set concrete. Easy to do & keeps greenhouse in place but may mean removing posts is more difficult than dismantling a freestanding greenhouse. Might be worth checking.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £360
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £235
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 19th Jun 17, 8:23 AM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 21,467 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    Good Morning All

FVD - Thanks for starting us off today!

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Apologies for going AWOL, I have been keeping the faith. Hubby is making excellent progress. Looking like another gorgeous day but such a shame to wake up to yet more shocking news from London. Hug your loved ones close, today's little list:

Packed lunch for DS - Done
    Check Bank & make PAD - Done
    RM Surveys -
    Appointment at 3pm (Falls Clinic - me) -
    Ironing - Done
    Clean decking (thanks pinterest for DIY option) -
    Declutter a couple of drawers in bedroom -
    Continue purge on emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Check: Luckyphone, Ashleigh, Numberplatelotto, FPL -

Have a great day all!

C x
    Last edited by ziggy2407; 19-06-2017 at 10:37 AM.
    It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to make a great leap forward only to stumble backward. (Old Chinese Proverb)

Make £5 per day in August 2017: £322.89/£155
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 19th Jun 17, 9:38 AM
    • 4,433 Posts
    • 33,738 Thanks
    DawnW
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:38 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:38 AM
    Morning all
    Thanks for starting us off FVD - hope you have a great week off
    Good luck with the greenhouse hunt PF, if you decide you don't have time to go after one that needs dismantling (and remember you will have to transport it, too), remember new ones will be on sale around now, so worth seeing what is about before you decide
    Ziggy, it is great to hear that your OH is recovering well

It is going to be very hot here again, and I am a bit headachey, so no major plans:
    Tidy up
    Sow some seeds
    Water front garden pots
    Plenty of food in / cooked as we did lots for dinner yesterday as family visited
    Freeze leftover rolls to avoid waste, too many for us to eat
    Freeze stock made from beef bones overnight
    Check for surveys
    Check banks
    Pay milk bill
    Try (again) to claim OH's state pension online. The web site wasn't working properly over the weekend Hope it works ok today or he will have to claim by phone, and he is useless at that kind of thing

Hope everyone has a good day

• mumofthetwins
    • By mumofthetwins 19th Jun 17, 10:26 AM
    • 836 Posts
    • 3,651 Thanks
    mumofthetwins
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:26 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:26 AM
    Hi Guys
    Another scorcer today and the lab is already at 27C so not looking forward to this afternoon
    toadys list for me is

check bank and make PAD
    update spending/saving/pading book
    packed lunches for work
    dinner out of freezer
    workout DVDs after work .. hopefully it wont be tooo hot at home
    check ebay package ready for posting tomorrow
    iron new stuff for ebay.
    tidy before bed as a mega busy day tomorrow.

Hope you all have a fab day and enjoy the sunshine
    lisa x
    This time I'm sticking with it !!

May £264.56/£300 NSD lost track but much more than last month / 38 June £216.30/£300 NSD 15/30 July £120.21/£300 NSD 11/15 Aug £96.46/£300 6 NSD
    PAD
    June £3362.78 July £1803.88 Aug £1895
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 19th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    • 3,241 Posts
    • 27,957 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 10:35 AM
    Morning all
    I'm struggling quite a bit in the heat, and with tiredness, and with my workload at the moment. So I'm not feeling great but I'm quite determined that I'm not going under in spite of it all. One exam paper is marked and finished and the other should be done tonight or tomorrow at the latest.
    It is amazing how a good night's sleep makes everything look ok - unfortunately I haven't had one so I feel a bit rubbish.
    Nothing much to report as I'm too busy with work stuff but I'm hanging on in there.
    NSTAugust #13 NSD 4/15 RYSAW17 #1 £472.63 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 19th Jun 17, 11:52 AM
    • 6,343 Posts
    • 35,957 Thanks
    determined new ms
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:52 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 11:52 AM
    Morning - just! I went to the allotment at 7.15 this morning in the hope of it being cooler - it was still baking! - and I confess I've got a little sun burn on my face got loads done though erected a frame and plants runner beans, dug over a bed, planted leeks, harvested calabrese and a few radishes, partially weeded potato bed. Was there just over 3 hours which means I suspect I'll feel it later as my rule is 2hrs!

Came home and started the house work but have stopped for a coffee and break. Intending to clean and tidy through, vacuum, polish, might clean bathroom

have put one load in machine. Will hang out and do another load when it's finished

Have mountain of washing to put away

Going to buy the items needed for madam's sand/water station

clean out fridge, making sure everything that needs using gets used!

Do financial check in. Things have been falling by the wayside and need to get on top of it all!

Ok that will do for now!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £264.46 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2795.06/Roadkill £8.58
    NSDs Aug 3/15 CC saved £1802.50 Veg grown £376.20
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 19th Jun 17, 12:04 PM
    • 256 Posts
    • 2,201 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Just scraping in with a good morning everyone. Many thanks for starting the thread FVD
    Been good and bad-
    Banking all checked
    Cat cleaning all done
    Paperwork-an ongoing process, with meeting tonight.
    More washing to go out in a minute and run hoover over

The bad-got impatient and ordered a new bedside table and lamp for project back bedroom. I've been looking around for quirky lighting and spotting other bits in the process. I did have a 20% off code and I've decided that I will replace the money with birthday monies.
    Rang step father last night to wish him a happy father's day and he reminded me it was my birthday coming up- i had completely forgot. There is nothing I really want or need so would rather birthday monies went on project back bedroom that will keep me out of mischief planning it
    Have a good day everyone xx
    2017 birthday savings so far thru shopping frugally = 228.72 284.31 306.81 481.15:money.
    April grocery challenge £171.21/ £200 May GC £248.47/£190 June GC £87.69/ £190
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 19th Jun 17, 1:14 PM
    • 4,664 Posts
    • 17,822 Thanks
    FatVonD
    My week off isn't until the first week of July, Dawn, I'm just getting a bit overexcited about it!
    Lunches brought to work in August 15/22 Money saved to date £32.48 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal)

Make £10 a day in August £124.07/£310 (July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • Twins
    • By Twins 19th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    Twins
    Afternoon all from a hot and sticky London! Another difficult nights sleep I had decided when I woke up that I was going to buy a Dyson fan as I'd had enough of our crappy oscillating tower fan.
    So off I went to Costco this morning and stood in front of the Dyson tower fan and was disappointed with the strength of cold air. Next to it was a smaller fan but wow, so much more powerful and you could really feel the cold air blowing out but it was the last display one.
    As I was talking to the chap working there asking him which one was better out of the two I could sense a crowd gathering around me ready to pounce on that fan if I didn't take it. I quickly put it in my trolley and made a dash for the tills Biggest plus was it was £200 cheaper than the Dyson!
    Anyway, I've got it home now and have to say it's pretty powerful so lets see how we get on with it tonight in the bedroom.

Other news:

* Managed to get in a home workout in front of my new fan
    * Showered but didn't wash hair
    * Swag surveys
    * Going to re-order DD prom shoes. They've come down in the sale so will return and re-order saving £6.20

That's all from me
    Last edited by Twins; 19-06-2017 at 2:54 PM.
    LBM April 2011 Debt £30,800 now in DMP land
    Self Managing my DMP May 2017

Slowly chipping away at my debts: April 17 £17,388 June 17 £11,268.06
    Debt free date: Jan 2023 Dec 2022. April 2019 I will be free
    £2 Savers club #39
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 19th Jun 17, 2:54 PM
    • 6,343 Posts
    • 35,957 Thanks
    determined new ms
    what fan is is Twins?
    DF as at 30/12/16
    • Twins
    • By Twins 19th Jun 17, 3:05 PM
    • 265 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    Twins
    what fan is is Twins?
    Originally posted by determined new ms
    Seabreeze TURBO-AIRE 3200-0 Aerodynamic High Velocity 12'' Cooling Fan. In Costco for £59.99
    LBM April 2011 Debt £30,800 now in DMP land
    Self Managing my DMP May 2017

Slowly chipping away at my debts: April 17 £17,388 June 17 £11,268.06
    Debt free date: Jan 2023 Dec 2022. April 2019 I will be free
    £2 Savers club #39
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 19th Jun 17, 4:02 PM
    • 3,569 Posts
    • 17,112 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi all,
    Today's money saving efforts so far:
    *Have caught up with laundry backlog & it's drying brilliantly outside in the sunshine. Overheard someone on our street saying she was still tumble-drying everything, which just seems crazy when I've just got a load of bedding dry in about an hour on the whirlygig for free.
    *Read manual for new washer to familiarize myself with shorter energy-saving programmes. Tried out the 30 minutes at 30 degrees & it seems to have got everything nice & clean.
    *Cut down another plastic bottle to make a cloche for baby veggie plants.
    *Watered veggies & stood bucket of water in greenhouse to try & raise humidity levels a bit.
    *Picked cucumber no. 8.
    *Shredded, blanched & froze the 2 ys cabbages I got for 10p each yesterday. It made 4 nice big bags (which were all recycled ones, as usual)
    *Unpacked box full of random gifts from Mum yesterday: 2 cans posh cat food, 4 recycled gift bags, a lantern, a pile of magazines, a notebook, a bookmark, 3 notelets, several packets of free seed, a selection of recycled jam jars ready for preserving season & a pack of pretty paper napkins.
    *Did a competition.
    *Made tomorrow's packed lunch & work snacks.
    *Dinner will be l/o chicken drumsticks - mr f slightly got the red mist at our last BBQ & bought too many. However, even he could see he'd over-bought so he froze some for another meal. Yay!!! This sooooo would not have happened even a couple of years ago, although he is very good in other money-saving ways these days.
    *Sorted out my diary so I can keep myself organised this week.
    *Paid another 2 x 50ps into my sealed pot.
    *Checked online banking to see if a cheque has been cashed yet.
    Well, apart from cooking dinner later, I don't intend to do too much more today. Catching up with the laundry mountain since the Great Washing Machine Disaster was my most urgent task today. I don't function brilliantly in the heat, tho' admittedly much better than before my big weight-loss, so I'm going to sit outside on our shady courtyard & read.
    Hope everyone's getting off to a good start this week - if not, no worries, as I often say, just start the week again tomorrow.
    Cheers all,
    F xx
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £360
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £235
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 19th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    • 4,664 Posts
    • 17,822 Thanks
    FatVonD
    What exactly IS blanching Foxgloves? I know you are supposed to do it before freezing veggies and that it involves boiling water but for how long and why?

• La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 19th Jun 17, 8:06 PM
    • 2,840 Posts
    • 17,874 Thanks
    La escocesa
    Hi everyone

New week; new expenses...

I need to sort through my budgets because everything is going a bit haywire...

I'm on a work trip and driving so should be a nice little earner for me - taking a colleague so get HMRC's 50p a mile for around 430 miles. The hotel has a spa and we'll have a nice meal out. Can't complain

I got an eye test today. All good and charges reimbursed from employer. Result! If you work at a screen you can get a free one - think it's every 2 years.

OH is working job#2 tonight. Job#1 asked him to stay on for another month and now they might want him for another few weeks. He's also still waiting to hear back about the interview he went for a few weeks ago. Fingers crossed.

What else... I took salad to work today - mainly garden veggies

I need to sort out my Chinese cabbage - it's bolted... I don't know whether I need to just chuck it all away or whether I can still fry up some of the leaves or maybe there's no point.... Any wise words???
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 19th Jun 17, 8:21 PM
    • 1,774 Posts
    • 11,964 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Looks like you got a good price twins for the fan vey productive today, despite the heat used some leftovers in salad for tea and some mash from freezer for one of the smalls. Updated my list

DH and I have both had cb for May confirmed, will log on and move it to LPDF. Made a PAD/Tilly tidied my accounts today.

Got soup out of freezer for DH I made last week, it'll be too warm for me to have soup at work so I've made a salad for tomorrow's lunch.

Been to welcome night for DD new school tonight, walked so good extra steps. Got a bit of reading to do but can now plan childcare for two weeks of part time hours

Froze some leftover cooked rice, not sure if this is the best POA but hopefully will work and I do hate waste.

Catch up with something free from tv tonight when smalls are in bed soon.
    • La escocesa
    • By La escocesa 19th Jun 17, 8:58 PM
    • 2,840 Posts
    • 17,874 Thanks
    La escocesa

I need to sort through my budgets because everything is going a bit haywire...
    Originally posted by La escocesa
    YNAB rocks - half an hour later and we're all back on track.
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 19th Jun 17, 9:38 PM
    • 6,343 Posts
    • 35,957 Thanks
    determined new ms
    FVD blanching is where you cook a vegetable for a certain amount of minutes and then punge them into ice cold water. The idea is you shock & slow down the enzymes so they last longer in the freezer.

A lot of veg doesn't need it if your going to eat it within 6 months so apart from a few things I don't bother
    DF as at 30/12/16
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,618Posts Today

7,934Users online

Martin's Twitter