Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anon_private
    • By anon_private 18th Jun 17, 11:16 PM
    • 92Posts
    • 3Thanks
    anon_private
    Service Charges and Leaseholds
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:16 PM
    Service Charges and Leaseholds 18th Jun 17 at 11:16 PM
    I am thinking of buying a flat

Are service charges around £1000/yr reasonable? Would would be considered excessive?

Evidently leases often place restrictions on what owners (leaseholders) can do. Can you give the main restrictions, including restrictions on what can be done in parking bays

Thanks
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 18th Jun 17, 11:19 PM
    • 40,200 Posts
    • 45,956 Thanks
    G_M
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:19 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:19 PM
    Are service charges around £1000/yr reasonable? Would would be considered excessive?

Evidently leases often place restrictions on what owners (leaseholders) can do. Can you give the main restrictions, including restrictions on what can be done in parking bays

Thanks
    Originally posted by anon_private
    Depends entirely what services are provided!

No. Read the lease in question.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 18th Jun 17, 11:21 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 4,940 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:21 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:21 PM
    Depends what you get for the money! Mine is around that and covers buildings insurance, window cleaning, gardening, and this year new carpets in communal areas and all exterior paintwork freshened up - a percentage goes into a sinking fund for that.

I consider it a bargain not to have to organise any of that stuff, but I know others think differently.

For restrictions you need to read the lease, they all vary. What on earth do you want to do in a parking bay except park a vehicle???
    Downsized and mortgage free
    August 17 grocery challenge 0/£100
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 18th Jun 17, 11:27 PM
    • 1,216 Posts
    • 2,279 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:27 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:27 PM
    The mind boggles but maybe they just want to put a skip in it
    • anon_private
    • By anon_private 18th Jun 17, 11:47 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    anon_private
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:47 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:47 PM
    Depends what you get for the money! Mine is around that and covers buildings insurance, window cleaning, gardening, and this year new carpets in communal areas and all exterior paintwork freshened up - a percentage goes into a sinking fund for that.

I consider it a bargain not to have to organise any of that stuff, but I know others think differently.

For restrictions you need to read the lease, they all vary. What on earth do you want to do in a parking bay except park a vehicle???
    Originally posted by BrassicWoman
    Wash the car
    Service it
    Repair it
    • anon_private
    • By anon_private 18th Jun 17, 11:49 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    anon_private
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:49 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 11:49 PM
    The mind boggles but maybe they just want to put a skip in it
    Originally posted by Cheeky_Monkey
    Read my response above
    Last edited by anon_private; 18-06-2017 at 11:54 PM.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 19th Jun 17, 6:06 AM
    • 4,832 Posts
    • 4,470 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:06 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 6:06 AM
    Wash the car
    Service it
    Repair it
    As others say, you need to read the lease.

If the lease just says it is for "parking", I doubt that "repairing a car" falls within a reasonable definition of "parking".

But, most freeholders wouldn't inspect a parking area to see what people are doing. So it would probably only become an issue if somebody complained to the freeholder.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 19th Jun 17, 7:13 AM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 4,940 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:13 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 7:13 AM
    Wash the car
    Service it
    Repair it
    My lease precludes those. It'd be a right PITA if everyone was taing their cars to bits and getting oil on the tarmac and revving engines - not really an activity suited to flats. If tinkering with cars is your thing, best get a garage?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 19th Jun 17, 9:04 AM
    • 5,448 Posts
    • 5,193 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:04 AM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:04 AM
    Wash the car
    Service it
    Repair it
    Some leases will specifically exclude those, others won't. What you need to know is what your lease says.

Worth bearing in mind though that not all (indeed, probably most) of lease covenants are strictly enforced, so unless someone thinks you're actually causing a nuisance it's unlikely to be a problem. And even if they do, there are limits to what they can do about it unless your car maintenance is long-running e.g. if they spot you tinkering with the car on Saturday, by the time they've spoken to their lawyers on Monday you'll probably already have finished the job.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 19th Jun 17, 9:36 AM
    • 2,995 Posts
    • 3,675 Thanks
    bouicca21
    When buying a flat you need to get sight of the lease sooner rather than later to find out just what is and is not permitted. I could repair and service my car, if I actually knew anything about engines, but I can't hang out washing or use the place for immoral purposes.
    • anon_private
    • By anon_private 19th Jun 17, 12:47 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    anon_private
    When buying a flat you need to get sight of the lease sooner rather than later to find out just what is and is not permitted. I could repair and service my car, if I actually knew anything about engines, but I can't hang out washing or use the place for immoral purposes.
    Originally posted by bouicca21
    I would be happy with those conditions.

Best wishes.
    • anon_private
    • By anon_private 19th Jun 17, 12:54 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    anon_private
    My lease precludes those. It'd be a right PITA if everyone was taing their cars to bits and getting oil on the tarmac and revving engines - not really an activity suited to flats. If tinkering with cars is your thing, best get a garage?
    In practice, it would be an occasional activity for those residents capable of doing the work, and it does not need to involve mess. There are many mobile mechanics who work on the premises and never leave any sign that they have even been present.

Why do you associate car repairs, etc, with mess?
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 19th Jun 17, 1:12 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    NeilCr
    In practice, it would be an occasional activity for those residents capable of doing the work, and it does not need to involve mess. There are many mobile mechanics who work on the premises and never leave any sign that they have even been present.

Thing is that may be true of you and mobile mechanics but may not be so for other residents. Those who think they know what they are doing but actually don't.

If they see someone breaking a covenant they will feel completely justified in joining in and, quite likely, making a mess

I've no idea what the parking bays are like at the property you are thinking of buying. Ours are actually in a car park and, practically, it would be very difficult to do a lot of work on a car
    • anon_private
    • By anon_private 19th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    anon_private
    Thing is that may be true of you and mobile mechanics but may not be so for other residents. Those who think they know what they are doing but actually don't.

If they see someone breaking a covenant they will feel completely justified in joining in and, quite likely, making a mess

I've no idea what the parking bays are like at the property you are thinking of buying. Ours are actually in a car park and, practically, it would be very difficult to do a lot of work on a car
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    I assume that you check and topup your oil and water, and keep the car clean.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 19th Jun 17, 1:28 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 915 Thanks
    NeilCr
    I assume that you check and topup your oil and water, and keep the car clean.
    Yep

Which is why I said it would be difficult to do a lot of work on a car - not no work
    Last edited by NeilCr; 19-06-2017 at 1:31 PM.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 19th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 4,940 Thanks
    BrassicWoman

Because I've lived next to pistolheads. In fairness the management company invoiced them for cleaning up the oil stains, but they were NOT good neighbours with their baked bean can exhausts speeding off to work at 6am... so very very happy when they moved!

Quiet neighbours and tidy neighbours are good neighbours
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 19th Jun 17, 5:05 PM
    • 31,630 Posts
    • 16,896 Thanks
    kingstreet
    Because I've lived next to pistolheads
    Hopefully you meant petrol heads...?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • anon_private
    • By anon_private 19th Jun 17, 5:28 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    anon_private
    I have just been looking at the adverts for flats in the same block. The service charges appear to vary by a factor of two. It is the same block. can anyone explain?
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 19th Jun 17, 5:32 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 4,940 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    I have just been looking at the adverts for flats in the same block. The service charges appear to vary by a factor of two. It is the same block. can anyone explain?
    No. Ask the freeholder.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 19th Jun 17, 5:33 PM
    • 1,166 Posts
    • 4,940 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    Hopefully you meant petrol heads...?
    Originally posted by kingstreet
    Brain melted in the heat!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,981Posts Today

8,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin