Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mexas
    • By Mexas 18th Jun 17, 9:53 PM
    • 145Posts
    • 106Thanks
    Mexas
    Ebay scam?
    • 18th Jun 17, 9:53 PM
    Ebay scam? 18th Jun 17 at 9:53 PM
    Am i being scammed? I just sold a smartphone on eBay to a buyer with no feedback. This wasnt an issue until i received a message from the buyer:

I just won the auction for your eBay item ,
    kindly send me pictures of the item including a PayPal invoice of £540 for the Panasonic camera and £8 for shipping to
    (*@*.net)
    I look forward to your reply asap so I can complete Payment today
    note : Shipping should be via Royalmail special delivery before 1pm
    Cheers
    Clearly he's saying he bid on a "panasonic camera"? the auction was very clear and included pictures of the smartphone.

First time this has happened to me, what are my options? They've not paid yet.
Page 1
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 18th Jun 17, 10:00 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:00 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:00 PM
    i would send a message to the seller through the ebay message service asking if they got you mixed up with another item then bid on
    • Mexas
    • By Mexas 18th Jun 17, 10:05 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Mexas
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:05 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:05 PM
    i would send a message to the seller through the ebay message service asking if they got you mixed up with another item then bid on
    Originally posted by angryparcel
    Unfortunately I went a bit ott on my message to them, this is what i wrote

Hello. You were clearly bidding on a Samsung Galaxy S8 smart phone. What do you mean panasonic camera? Please make payment or i will report you to ebay for none payment. Regards
    Waiting for a reply. How long do you have to wait until you can contact ebay for none payment?
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 18th Jun 17, 10:10 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:10 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:10 PM
    Waiting for a reply. How long do you have to wait until you can contact ebay for none payment?
    Originally posted by Mexas
    I am sure it is 8 days, but if you go into the resolution centre and try it will then tell you that you cannot open a case until ** days
    • boliston
    • By boliston 18th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    • 2,412 Posts
    • 1,990 Thanks
    boliston
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:13 PM
    Someone with zero feedback bidding on a high end smartphone is almost guaranteed to be up to no good - there is a high chance you will not get paid and - i always say no bids with feedback below 10 and must be to a confirmed uk paypal address for a high risk item like a smartphone
    • Tealblue
    • By Tealblue 18th Jun 17, 10:21 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    Tealblue
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:21 PM
    Not the most conciliatory message to a new buyer who might just have had a slip of a brain cell...as you say, completely OTT. Ebay really does bring out aggression/funny behaviours in people who wouldn't normally behave in such a manner.
    • Mexas
    • By Mexas 18th Jun 17, 10:21 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Mexas
    Someone with zero feedback bidding on a high end smartphone is almost guaranteed to be up to no good - there is a high chance you will not get paid and - i always say no bids with feedback below 10 and must be to a confirmed uk paypal address for a high risk item like a smartphone
    Originally posted by boliston
    How do you manage this though? is it just text in the product description?

As far i can see there are no options to stop zero feedback users.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 18th Jun 17, 10:23 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:23 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:23 PM
    Someone with zero feedback bidding on a high end smartphone is almost guaranteed to be up to no good
    Everyone has to start somewhere, you don't join eBay and get given a feedback score.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 18th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    • 18th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    How do you manage this though? is it just text in the product description?

As far i can see there are no options to stop zero feedback users.
    if you go into your account settings and then find Site preferences and then scroll down and look for Buyer requirements and then you can chose how to blocker certain buyers

i have mine set as

Have received 2 unpaid item(s) recorded on their account within 6 month(s)
    Have a primary delivery address in a location I don't post to
    Have 4 policy breaches reported within 6 month(s)
    Have a Feedback score of -1 or lower
    Have no credit card on file
    Are currently winning or have bought 1 of my items in the last 10 days and have a Feedback score of 5 or lower
    • soolin
    • By soolin 18th Jun 17, 10:31 PM
    • 59,469 Posts
    • 42,172 Thanks
    soolin
    I am sure it is 8 days, but if you go into the resolution centre and try it will then tell you that you cannot open a case until ** days
    Unfortunately I went a bit ott on my message to them, this is what i wrote

That does seem aggressive , sometimes even when you are in this situation you can make it worse by being threatening. It is always worth just staying calm and polite and using the NPB system without the need to warn the buyer first.

An NPB case can be opened after 48 hours and then closed 4 days after that if no payment has been received.
    Which is of course meaningless and carries no weight at all on eBay. You cannot stop new users and the notion of confirmed addresses only is about 10 years out of date . For PayPal seller protection you need the address to show as 'OK to send' , have a read of the sticky postage thread.

OP Youc an set your seller preferences quite tight if you wish, in. Particular you can prevent users with less than 5 feedback from bidding only if you opt for the option 'needs a card registered on eBay'
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Mexas
    • By Mexas 18th Jun 17, 10:43 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Mexas
    if you go into your account settings and then find Site preferences and then scroll down and look for Buyer requirements and then you can chose how to blocker certain buyers

i have mine set as
    Thanks I have made the adjustments. Do you also block buyers who Don't have a PayPal account?

I guess I'll have to wait to see if they pay.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 18th Jun 17, 11:15 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    angryparcel
    Thanks I have made the adjustments. Do you also block buyers who Don't have a PayPal account?

I guess I'll have to wait to see if they pay.
    all payments made through ebay are through Paypal, so ebay users will have paypal accounts
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 19th Jun 17, 4:55 AM
    • 686 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    seashore22
    I wouldn't send a paypal invoice to just any old email address that the buyer requests. Keep everything via ebay and check and double check any "paypal" payment received from this buyer.

It is a well known scam to send a payment email to the seller so that they think they have been paid when they haven't. This is obviously more true for high end, expensive items and phones are particularly targeted.
    • kalsha
    • By kalsha 19th Jun 17, 7:32 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    kalsha
    Angryparcel, why would you block "Are currently winning or have bought 1 of my items in the last 10 days and have a Feedback score of 5 or lower"

What is wrong with someone bidding on more than 1 item from you in the last 10 days. What am I missing here?
    • Mexas
    • By Mexas 19th Jun 17, 7:44 AM
    • 145 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Mexas
    To wrap this up i got a message off the buyer late last night saying

Sorry I bought two stuffs online today in which your phone was among , I'm a freelance photographer residing in Australia but presently working in the United Kingdom , I sincerely apologise for any inconvenience I may cause you with the description , I will like you to send me pictures of the Samsung s8 to email@dodgy.net)
    Kind regards
    Fair enough i thought, but as it was late i decided to leave it until the morning.

When i woke up this morning i had a nice message from eBay:

Hello x,
    We had to cancel bids for the buyer, xxx, because they aren't registered on eBay:
    Samsung Galaxy S8 Smartphone

We've also made it easy to relist your item if it was removed. Although the item is no longer available in search listings, you will find it in the Sold section of My eBay. For more information
    So in the end it was a scam...
    Last edited by Mexas; 19-06-2017 at 8:13 AM.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 19th Jun 17, 8:08 AM
    • 686 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    seashore22
    Asking for direct email contact and more photos was a bit of a red flag and you were right to be cautious.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 19th Jun 17, 8:26 AM
    • 59,469 Posts
    • 42,172 Thanks
    soolin
    all payments made through ebay are through Paypal, so ebay users will have paypal accounts
    That might be true of new sellers in some categories but for longer term sellers we can still offer a whole range of other options. However I do agree that virtually no buyer ever chooses to pay by anything other than paypal.

OP,this was always sounding like a scam but if you follow the normal selling instructions on ebay and paypal the scammer would have had to give up as it wouldn't have worked. This would only have worked for a more naive or new seller. As above the buyer didn't realise they had access to your email account once they bought something and was fishing for you to give it to them so they could send a fake 'you've got funds' email from paypal.

For newbies reading this the way to protect yourself and not waste time, but still remain polite 'just in case' is to just send an invoice via ebay and ignore any other requests from the buyer. Then do not send the item until it shows up as a transaction in your paypal account, always safely opening paypal and printing labels from there will mean you cannot be scammed with fake funds or non payment, don't cut corners- always refer back to your paypal account.
    Last edited by soolin; 19-06-2017 at 8:31 AM.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,667Users online

Martin's Twitter